Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
We bred a couple mares last year and gave the colts to a couple of our oldest grand daughters.

This was April 19 2014
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this is the same colt today, just a bit over four months later.
[Linked Image]

That is Paige in the saddle. She is in the second grade and is just learning to love horses.

The colt is named Blazee and he belongs to Abby, in the red shirt. She is 11 YO and in the 6'th grade. Abbey is responsible for 90% of this colt's training to this point, with a bit of coaching from Pa Pa.

Today was the first time the colt had ever seen a blanket or saddle. Abby and I sacked him out with the blanket, saddled him, and longed him for about ten minutes before Paige came along and these pics were taken.
[Linked Image]

Yep, he is still a colt and unpredictable at this point. That is why Pa Pa has a death grip around little Paige's waist all the time she is in the saddle.

[Linked Image]

I might be just a bit proud of my girls!

I am pretty sure Abby is going to have one hell of a horse here in a couple of years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a good looking colt. Glad your Grand Daughters are enjoying the horses. You answered your own question.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great pictures Pa Pa!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for posting. Those girls are fortunate!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get a halter that fits....

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As long as it is only a few pounds, you are OK. Don't up that though. Additionally lunging a young colt is really bad for their undeveloped knees. I'd stop that entirely until they are 2.5-3 years old.
Spending time and doing ground work with them for short intervals pays a lot of dividends, but not riding (heavier loads) until they get older pays dividends on the other end when they are older.
These young ones have the attention span of a rock at that age, so keep it short.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't want to rain on having a good time with your kids, but starting this much this soon is going to make it tough to not get ahead of yourself.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Doesn't hurt to use a halter and get one used to a light saddle, but not much weight can be put on them til they are over 2 years old...

I start "breaking" a horse when they hit the ground. Don't do much serious round pen work until they are 2 years old though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never put any weight on them until they are 2 years old. Teach him to lead, load a trailer, accept a blanket, etc. until he is two.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by huntsman22
get a halter that fits....

LOL

There is a short story behind the Halter.

The local rigging supply store will only sell that 1/4 inch double braid rope by the spool. 500 feet @ $.50 /ft.

I recently tied five new halters, all red. And I thought the colt's halter was the one in the car when I went over to the grand kids' house yesterday.

Obviously, his halter was the one left at home.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by saddlesore
As long as it is only a few pounds, you are OK. Don't up that though. Additionally lunging a young colt is really bad for their undeveloped knees. I'd stop that entirely until they are 2.5-3 years old.
Spending time and doing ground work with them for short intervals pays a lot of dividends, but not riding (heavier loads) until they get older pays dividends on the other end when they are older.
These young ones have the attention span of a rock at that age, so keep it short.

Good point, and appreciated on the longing. Also one which I have stressed with Abby.

Our focus on longing exercises with the colt is maintaining a walk on lead or off in the round pen while negotiating obstacles, such as stepping over or circling plastic fifty gallon barrels.

Colts like to run and play. It is a worthwhile challenge to make him settle, and walk (or slow trot) at command instead.

As to the weight. Yes, that concern is why little Paige is the only one who gets to ride this year. She weighs less than thirty pounds. I doubt the saddle weighs twenty. And we keep the sessions to about ten minutes.

At this point it is essentially just advanced "sacking out" exercises.

When he is a yearling, we will put a snaffle and bridle on him and the kids will teach him what the reins mean as an adult leads him around the pen.

And, actually yesterday was even more about teaching that cute little blond in the saddle to enjoy the horse, than it was about teaching the horse, though the two do go hand in hand.

Here's a pic from thirty years ago as my son and I break his Momma's new colt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 08/31/14.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
I never put any weight on them until they are 2 years old. Teach him to lead, load a trailer, accept a blanket, etc. until he is two.

Same here. Lots of ground work that will pay huge dividends when it's time to ride. Their joints are too soft to put weight on them at this early age.
Can it be done? Yes, but the horse will pay the price later on in life.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Holy crap! I am looking at that old pic of the bay in the latter post. That colt is well over a year old, and comes about to my armpit. He grew into a very nice sized 14.75 hand horse.

Abby's colt is just over four months old and comes to my armpit. In two years she will need a step ladder to reach a stirrup from the ground.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What? You aren't going to teach her and the colt the Hollywood Mount (running vault into saddle)?

That would impress the boys. Oh wait..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What? You aren't going to teach her and the colt the Hollywood Mount (running vault into saddle)?

That would impress the boys. Oh wait.. Counter-indicated.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A 4 mo old colt is unpredictable enough that I would not put a kid on it no matter who or how many are tethering the kid.

+1 on waiting until 2 and training all the other things into the little beast.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

Same here. Lots of ground work that will pay huge dividends when it's time to ride. Their joints are too soft to put weight on them at this early age.
Can it be done? Yes, but the horse will pay the price later on in life.

Ed

Granddad would of beat my ass if I put more then a saddle blanket on a 4 month old colt.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When that colt buggers, and it will when you least expect it, a kid is either going to get hurt, or scared, or most likely both, and may never want to be around a horse again.
I know this, for I did the same thing you did a long time ago with my daughter on board of my 5 month old filly. After the pitching stopped and my girl hit the ground, kind of a spinning belly flop, she never again showed any interest in a horse, and she spent her life around them until she left home.
Lots of ground work, manners, halter breaking, leading, turning of hindquarters/forequarters, stopping, backing etc...it's all good, but no real work until they are two.

Last edited by JefeMojado; 08/31/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing but ground work until two.

Please be careful. My experience suggests one encounters a close call about every 6 months. Many are not intentional (slips, stumbles, feints, etc.) when one is out and about living and working with them. Sort of like Red Fox's fear of flying. Might not be my time, but it might be the pilot's.

Two years ago a friend lost his 4-year old son to a well mannered horse on a lead rope walking in his barn lot. Something set the horse off, and it landed on the kid. They pulled the plug after 3 days. A wonderful little kid, but i guess God needed him for something.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/31/14.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Nothing but ground work until two.

Please be careful. My experience suggests one encounters a close call about every 6 months. Many are not intentional (slips, stumbles, feints, etc.) when one is out and about living and working with them. Sort of like Red Fox's fear of flying. Might not be my time, but it might be the pilot's.

Two years ago a friend lost his 4-year old son to a well mannered horse on a lead rope walking in his barn lot. Something set the horse off, and it landed on the kid. They pulled the plug after 3 days. A wonderful little kid, but i guess God needed him for something.

So sad but it can happen so fast. Not worth the risk with young colts and young kids. Unpredictable from both.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.