Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm looking to buy an M1 Garand. The seller states the Muzzle to be more than a 3 on a muzzle gauge. Is that something that I should consider? I don't recall ever hearing about a muzzle gauge. Any help is appreciated.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Muzzle gauge reads the wear on the muzzle and yes you should pay attention to that number. Here is how it reads.

Carefully, so as not to damage the barrel's rifling or the gauge, insert the the gauge into the muzzle as shown. Read the gauge directly from the side. Observe where the muzzle "falls" on the gauge.
0.0 indicates a .300 diameter bore, that is, .30 caliber, new, perfect.
0.5 is like new, .3005 caliber. Proper re-crowning will perfect the crown.
1.0 is excellent for a used barrel (.301 cal.) Re-crowning should make it like new.
1.5 is good (.3015 cal.). Proper re-crowning should make it excellent.
2.0 is fair (.302 cal.). Proper re-crowning should make it serviceable.
2.5 is poor (.3025 cal.). Proper re-crowning might make it serviceable.
3.0 or more is a "bald tire" and is now a British .303 caliber barrel. Replace barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by bea175
Muzzle gauge reads the wear on the muzzle and yes you should pay attention to that number. Here is how it reads.

Carefully, so as not to damage the barrel's rifling or the gauge, insert the the gauge into the muzzle as shown. Read the gauge directly from the side. Observe where the muzzle "falls" on the gauge.
1.0 is excellent for a used barrel (.301 cal.) Re-crowning should make it like new.
3.0 or more is a "bald tire" and is now a British .303 caliber barrel. Replace barrel

I agree with you on how to use the gage but not with your descripion that a barrel with 2.5 is poor and a 3 is junk
I have personally gaged may unissued in wrap USGI barrrels and many gaged over 2.Very, very rarely do you ever find one that gages 0 new. I would estimate a 1 or more is average
While a barrel that gages a 3 may have had some rds through it , it is not even close to being worn out. There are alot of other factors besides muzzle measurements that can affect accracy in a Garand Stock fit and lock up is a huge factor
CMP Service Grades which are proably their best sellers the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

To the OP, You say the seller said it measures more than 3. I would ask for a exact measuremsnt, by his description it could be a 4,5, etc

Last edited by Orlando8; 08/31/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ME is more important the TE.

I've seen some Garands with a TE of 5 that would shoot good.

bea175 has a good recommendation on the 3 ME

You can buy used, NOS, or aftermarket. I put an aftermarket on this on, made by Criterion.

Just finished and put together.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barrels that gauge three or more have had to many steel cleaning rods that has caused muzzle damage, than bullets down the bore damage

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I totally agree with the plus 3 muzzle wear being junk. Muzzles don't wear from firing, they wear from front cleaning. Cleaning rod wear in the muzzle is not round or consistent and causes loss of accuracy. I have seen back bored barrels to correct this problem but it seldom works well. One in particular was back bored so far the rifle would not function properly. Any barrel gauging three needs to be replaced.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I would like to know were you guys get your information about barrels being junk gageing over three.
The specification given for �Breech Bore Rejection� is �Over 0.306� or a TE reading of 6 on a gage. No specification is even given for muzzle wear!
Also saying wear to the muzzle is all from steel cleaning rods and not from firing is another internet myth
The muzzle will actually degrade from firing as the bullet leaves the barrel the hot gases erode the muzzle
In the Spring 2009 Garand Collectors Journal they did a extensive test to disprove this myth
It took 66,000 strokes of a bare steel segmented cleaning rod purposly drawing it on the side of the muzzle and only caused changed the wear reading by 1
They then fired 7,000 rounds through the rifle. The muzzle gaged .6 and measured almost 2 after firing the 7000 rds.
You can clearly see firing causes more erosion than a cleaning rod
If you are replacing barrels with MW of 3 send them all to me!!!

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O

You copied that from Fultons web site. You dont suppose they say barrels with such low measurememts are wore out because they sell barrels do you???

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Orlando8 you pay the freight and I will start sending them to you.
If you think that shooting an M1 is what wears the muzzle out your sadly mistaken. I have a stack of used Stainless steel varmint barrels I have changed out and they have the throat worn so much you cannot touch the lands with a bullet but the muzzle is still perfect. These barrels are in 223 22-250 220 Swift which are much harder on barrels then an 06 in a M1. I purchased 20 new in the wrap barrels from the CMP a few years ago all are dated in the early 50's and when you gauge them most measure 1.5.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I seriously doubt the GCA is making this up, they went to great lengths to do the testing.
Forget about the steel rod /muzzle wear arguement. Wheres the poroof that barrels are wore out with MW of 3?

I'll gladly pay the shipping for any Garand barrel that isnt pitted ,doesnt not have a dark bore, with a Muzzle wear of three. Let me know how many you have and what shipping cost is

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been a member of the GCA since shortly after it's inception.
I am well aware of what wears a muzzle and to believe it is from firing is pure nonsense. It is hard to believe that only M1's can wear muzzles when none of the other rifles shooting the 30-06 do. I have been the owner and operator of a Gun Shop for 30 years and I have never taken a muzzle worn out barrel off of anything but M1's. Damaged yes. Ever look at an FN49? They provide a rear port door so you can clean from the rear also it is a popular modification to the Ruger 10/22. All to protect the muzzle from cleaning rod wear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally wouldn't pay top price for any MI Garand that gauged 3 or over, but do what you like it is your money. What is the acceptable accuracy level you expect from a 3 or over gauged Garand barrel ?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, people. You have answered my question, but with some disagreement. I am not too concerned with accuracy. I just want to buy one for old times sake. I used an M1 in Korea when I was in the Marine corps. If I shoot it, it would be just for fun. at least I now understand what my question was.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I personally wouldn't pay top price for any MI Garand that gauged 3 or over, but do what you like it is your money. What is the acceptable accuracy level you expect from a 3 or over gauged Garand barrel ?

People are way to hung up on the MW/TW measurements. No one even paid any attention to them until CMP started using them just so they could seperate rifles into different grades
The proof is in the firing of the rifle not in the numbers.
Is a rifle that measures 0 worth the same that measures 3?? Maybe not "but" to say a barrel is worn out at 3 s completely rediculous. That rifle should still shoot 3-4 inches groups at 100 which all the Garand was required to do anyway.

Last edited by Orlando8; 09/01/14.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I patiently await the large shipment of Garand barrels

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
795 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.