Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The fines will certainly hurt, $26,500......... but the prohibition from hunting, 10 and 20 years, really is a fine judgement!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...hunt-1.2748543

Ted

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ted
Glad to see they got more than a slap on the wrist.
By the way, when i was going through the Yukon this summer, I was surprised at the harvest reports in the Game Regs, and just how small the big game harvest is in the Yukon.
Fred

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope that jackass from WY gets banned here as well. mad

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not even the first time that "guide" has been in hot water this summer

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/poachingtrial/

They should fine him toss him in jail and he should loose his outfit in southern bc. There is no room for a few rotten apples out there.

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I knew that. Here's the same article from another source.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...n-yukon-a-big-concern-official-1.2721947

Ted

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sask_Hunter
It's not even the first time that "guide" has been in hot water this summer

http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/poachingtrial/

They should fine him toss him in jail and he should loose his outfit in southern bc. There is no room for a few rotten apples out there.

Agreed sir!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Either Abe Dougan is a magnet for LEO, or he's an unethical scumbag. It looks like he's the latter, based on the evidence. Some of us try very hard to maintain the spirit of game laws, if not the letter. I have plain contempt for those who flaunt both.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the reason behind the six-hour prohibition after flying in?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To prevent people from spotting game, landing next to it and shooting. In AK you cannot hunt until after 3AM of the day following any day you were airborne in a non-regularly scheduled flight.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Would it be cruel and unusual punishment and help curb poaching if the Wyoming residents picture was on the front page of his local newspaper? If not, that should be mandatory in sentencing?

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by eh76
Hope that jackass from WY gets banned here as well. mad

Tallerico is an ortho surgeon out of Star Valley. It's a small, tight knit community, I'm sure word is already out. http://www.saltriverortho.com/index.cfm?ID=4

He also is a member of Kryptek gear's "Prostaff". Yikes! http://www.kryptek.com/prostaff/dr-brian-tallerico-sawbones/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad when professionals can't be professional.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some think they are far enough away from home to get away with poaching. No so.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Other than that, it was a hell of a hunt. Hero pictures did them in.

I have no sympathy.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I read the article. So they hunted before the time between flying and hunting was up? Was this what made the poaching claim? Did they have licenses for all the animals they shot? Was the main issue that they did not keep all the sheep, moose and Caribou meat? The practicality of carrying out the meat from a Caribou, a moose and a sheep in it's entirety in a small plane along with all the gear is almost not there. I am not being skeptical as I am planning to hunt Canada and would really like to know the answers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They had all the tags. It was a wanton waste issue, as well as a shooting 4 hours too early issue.

Not sure how it all went down. Game very well could have been butchered, and the "guide" said he'd fly it out and donate it, but to save money he ditched it. Who knows?

I'd not crucify the hunter just yet. The guide knew better.

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Palidun
I read the article. So they hunted before the time between flying and hunting was up? Was this what made the poaching claim? Did they have licenses for all the animals they shot? Was the main issue that they did not keep all the sheep, moose and Caribou meat? The practicality of carrying out the meat from a Caribou, a moose and a sheep in it's entirety in a small plane along with all the gear is almost not there. I am not being skeptical as I am planning to hunt Canada and would really like to know the answers.

Copied and pasted from page 30 of the Yukon hunting regulations synopsis.

"Waste of Meat or Fur

It is unlawful to waste the meat from a game bird, small game animal or big game animal, other than a bear, wolf, coyote, wolverine or furbearers. (If a small game animal or game bird is delivered to a taxidermist to be mounted, the waste of meat provisions of the Wildlife Act do not apply.)

Meat is considered to be wasted when part of an animal that is reasonably suitable for human consumption is:

fed to dogs or other domestic animals

abandoned

destroyed or allowed to spoil

used for bait

left in the field without being properly dressed and cared for to prevent the meat from being scavenged or spoiled

Meat includes the neck and rib meat, the two front quarters down to the lower leg joint, the two hind quarters down to the hock, the backstraps and the tenderloins.

It does not include the head, hide or viscera.

Successful hunters are required to take all of the meat from the kill site to the departure point (the place where it will be transported from the field) before taking the horns or antlers of the animal to that point. If all the meat is to be transported at once, horns or antlers may be taken with that meat, or horns or antlers may be taken with the last load of meat.

Any meat left behind once the horns or antlers are removed from the kill site is considered abandoned.

It is unlawful to allow the hide or pelt of a bear, coyote, wolverine or wolf to be wasted."

So, the meat must be taken out before the trophy, and you need to make as many trips as required with an airplane, ATV, horses, backpack, or whatever, to retrieve all the edible meat from any animal taken.

Both the guide and the hunter are responsible to know and understand the regs before hunting. In fact, the guide is required to report any violations.

As well, the use of a helicopter to assist a hunter in any way is prohibited, except in the case of emergencies.

Last year we needed two trips with a Beaver float plane, at $825 per trip, to get the meat from two moose and two caribou out. Worked out to about a buck a pound. smile Then, two more trips for six people, gear, and our camp.

Ted

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
So poaching really was not the issue here. They were licensed, the guide allowed his hunter to shoot before the fly to hunt time had expired. The waste of resource is wrong also but it seems the fines are a bit high in this case along with the confiscation of trophies. I feel the guide failed his hunter in this case.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think you are completely missing the point.

The guide was experienced, and knew the law. The hunter was very experienced, and should have known the law. Shooting before six hours after landing in a plane IS poaching.

As for the waste meat, certainly the hunter must have wondered about leaving close to 1000 pounds of edible meat behind, and should have asked the question if he did not know.

This is not a special law for guided non-residents. Same law for anyone who hunts in the Yukon. Same rules for everybody!

If you can afford to go on a guided hunt for tens of thousands of dollars, you can certainly afford to bring out the meat!

Why do you think the fines are excessive? What do you think would have been appropriate?

Ted

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Royce
Ted
Glad to see they got more than a slap on the wrist.
By the way, when i was going through the Yukon this summer, I was surprised at the harvest reports in the Game Regs, and just how small the big game harvest is in the Yukon.
Fred

Hi Fred,

Although the Yukon is huge, the population here is only about 32,000, with approximately 4000 licences issued each year, including non-residents.

That is part of the reason the hunting is as good as it is. As well, the laws are strong enough to protect wildlife, and dissuade both residents and non-residents from violating those laws.

Consequently the harvest levels are much lower than if, for instance, one did not have to bring out all the meat from a hunt in the hinterland, or could just land a plane and shoot game.

In Alaska, as Art has already posted here, you cannot even hunt the same day as you fly.

Sorry we missed you while you were up here. We must have crossed paths after you left Eagle.
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
566 members (219DW, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.