Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Tell me how heat is "good" for a barrel?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't understand the discussion...you let the damned thing cool down when it gets too hot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Dude why in the world 10 shot groups. I would never put that much heat in my barrel like that. Is the guy trying to fight a war or something. What in the world is the purpose. I am not surprised at all by the group. Tell him to stop it ain't good on the barrel

Couple of things.

1. You don't have to get your barrel hot to shoot a ten shot group.

2. Three shots is a very poor predictor of where the next bullet is going to go.

You'll have to see it for yourself to believe it so take your favored rig and load and shoot a three shot group. Let the barrel cool and shoot another at the same POA so you're stacking groups. Repeat until you have ten shots at the same POA. Report back and let us know if the ten shot group is as small as the 1st three.

I have a prediction. It won't be. Three shots can tell you if you have a poor load but it will not tell you if you have a good one.

John

Amen Hondo. It's apparent many guys here have never participated in any "slow fire" comps where you put 10 shots downrange. 10 shots in (lets say) 10 minutes is not going to hurt the barrel any more than 10 cold bore shots on a warm day. Id also bet taylorce1's rifle is extremely capable with the right person behind it. I'd also add that you don't need a matchgrade bullet to shoot sub moa 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
I don't understand the discussion...you let the damned thing cool down when it gets too hot.

Bingo Bob. You put it so elegantly.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Tell me how 10 whole shots is "bad" for a barrel?

You guys sure have lots of knowledge. Must be from all the shooting you do.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Shooting will burn up a good barrel.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Shooting will burn up a good barrel.

How are you going to know if you have a good barrel if you don't shoot it? Barrels are consumable IMO just like welding rod. You can't become a good wrlder without burning some sticks.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Tell me how 10 whole shots is "bad" for a barrel?

You guys sure have lots of knowledge. Must be from all the shooting you do.

Show me where I said 10 shots would hurt a barrel................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Big Stick
To have even a slight chance(which is an illusion),you'll want to start where I started,which is as follows:

"Proficiency can't be borrowed nor purchased.

McGowen,HS and Vortex...are far closer to my last choices,than my first,due their relative sanctity..................."

I mentioned Indian and arrows.

Hint..............

So you won't tell me your reasons for disliking barrel, stock, or optics? I don't question your abilities to launch projectiles. Other than not being blessed off by Stick, I'm going to have to go with you've never used any of the stock, optic, and barrel mentioned. So since you've never used them, they don't meet your seal of approval.

No problem.

McGowan are corncob rough schit spouts,of schit stress relief and walk like crazy. HS is a POS handle,due both ergo's and materials. Vortex sucks heavy ass,due it's limited adjustment and dog schit tracking.

You be certain to tell yourself,I've never shot a rifle.

Laughing!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd take 3-shots of POA/POI correlation in a SOUND rifle(the POS cited,assuredly is NOT) and get the warm/fuzzy with the trio slamming targets of interest at say 500,700 and 1000.

'Course,100yd paper punching bores me to tears and offers nothing of substance in reflection of the platform's relative abilities/attributes.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should have said it depends on the cartridge. if your shooting a 223, 10 rounds is nothing. same with 308. however with an overbore round like the 243 imo its not a good thing. Now if you don't care much for the barrel then by all means its your barrel, cook it. I have a 243 ai with a 5r krieger barrel. I would never put 10 rounds down it all at once. why??? because I like the barrel too much!!! its the best barrel I have ever owned.

I said there is no place for a 10 shot group, I do fire groups like that but ONLY during ladder testing to find a load. I generally only load 8 of a given powder with different charges. I also try to break it up with 4 shots quickly then I let the barrel cool a bit and fire the last 4.

someone said 3 shot groups don't show you anything, bull crap. once you have a load its a great way to check your loads and your zero. 10 shots introduces too much variables if ultimate accuracy is your goal. you get an insane amount of barrel heat. go ahead grab your 243 barrel after 10 rounds and tell me whats up. put another way there is simply no reason to fire a 10 shot group all of the same bullet and powder charge. I have never shot at an animal more than about 3 times. after I have also hit something 3 times I am looking for a new challenge.

its your barrel do what you want. I am not doing it with mine, at least one I care about.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have ZERO qualm whistling more than 10 through my 1-8" Brux 6-284...with 105's at Warp Nine.

It's a phuqqing barrrel,MADE for shooting.

Hint.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For more conversation,I've seen alotta 200rd+ 243AI days...simply forming.

You'd be in the fetal position sucking your thumb,if you had an inkling!...............

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick

No problem.

McGowan are corncob rough schit spouts,of schit stress relief and walk like crazy. HS is a POS handle,due both ergo's and materials. Vortex sucks heavy ass,due it's limited adjustment and dog schit tracking.

You be certain to tell yourself,I've never shot a rifle.

Laughing!...............

See what was so hard about that? My small sampling off McGowen, HSP, and Vortex didn't mirror yours, but we don't always have the same exact experience. I'm glad you finally shared yours.

However, no where did I boldly state you never shot a rifle. I just had to push a button to get you to open up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funnier than phuqq,that you could "think" I was somehow "unfamiliar" with such things?!?

In fairness...HS do make a fair barrel and I've never failed one of their 1st Gen DBM's.................

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image]

10 round groups with a 243w will just destroy the barrel.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Formidilosus; 09/01/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is some funny shidt..Glad I stopped by today.

To the OP, use the McGowen as a tomato stake, and use the vortex to drive the POS..Life is too short.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also try to break it up with 4 shots quickly then I let the barrel cool a bit and fire the last 4.

You're gonna wear that barrel out prematurely due to excessive heat build up. I fire two shots and let my barrel cool no matter how large the group number is.

One six shot group I fired took six days: One shot every morning for six days. I know where that rifle is going to place its cold bore shot.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Stop it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep...setting that POS in the house for hours/days between shots,REALLY lets a guy "know".

I'm phuqqing crying I'm laughing soooooooooo hard!...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She sets that POS on the couch next to her and guns CBS "confirmations",between episodes of Oprah and martha Stewart...to pinpoint it's Emotional Stability in the inclement weather of those storms.

I'm HOWLING!.............

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.