Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
But if one was to pursue the lightest possible AR without compromising too much, start with a 14.5" pencil barrel from BCM or Daniel Defense, pin an extended flash hider on it to save the NFA.
Rainier Arms sells a forged aluminum upper with a dust cover but no FA. A standard forged lower too.
JP Enterprise sells a low mass carrier, spring and buffer set up that is expensive but will save the most weight. You might need an adjustable gas block to.
A carbon float tube if you must or maybe one of the new key mod rails that are supposed to be light.
An old plastic carbine stock is about as light as they get.
An Aimpoint H1 red dot in a DD mount ought to be good enough.

Now that should get you close to 5 lbs, use a 10 rd pmag.

Now the downside, you can add about $300 for the JP stuff, cut 100 fps from a 16" barrel, the red dot isn't the best option for older eyes, it's gonna need lots of fine tuning to make the mess run. Approximate price not including the $600 Aimpoint, $1000.

My 22-250ai Montana weighs 6.5 lbs with a 3.5-10 Leupold on it. Which would you prefer?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
John, you know a lot more about AR's then I do.

What light profile barrel would you choose?

My goto carbine has this contour.

[Linked Image]

0.750 at the gas block, 0.800 under the handguards, and 0.720 in front of the block. With heavy fluting ( 0.125) this is a 1 lbs 12 ozs barrel in 16 inches.

The "pencil weight" profile with a 0.625" gas block is 1 lbs 8 ozs.

A standard Med Con barrel without the aggressive fluting will go 2 lbs in the 16 inch configuration.
Originally Posted by TWR
My 22-250ai Montana weighs 6.5 lbs with a 3.5-10 Leupold on it. Which would you prefer?

Carrying everyday with a slight chance of use?

This.

[Linked Image]

Neck deep in a wolf pack set on the destruction of my dog.

This.

[Linked Image]

I have used the Kimber (back when they was made in OR) for canine killin and while it works OK is falls well short of a properly setup AR.

Not the best picture but you get the point, canines and the Kimber 84 many years ago.

[Linked Image]

One might say I have been there and done that and the Kimber simply does not stack up. Of course that is just my opinion and should be taken for what it is really worth. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
John, that's very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you began marketing them yet?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
John, that's very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you began marketing them yet?

Not much as demand seems to exceed supply. smile

Our Governor, Matt Mead, here in Wyoming is an early adopter.
Cody Carroll, Magpul Dynamics, Goofy fellow, Wyo Gov Matt Mead, Wyo Arms Jeff Leisy.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wyoming Governor Matt Mead policing up his brass on the range. It is good to live in a free state. grin

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burns,

Your incredible Cluelessness is never not a phuqqing riot and you'd greedily phuqq a blue-haired old lady outta her last nickle. You greasy Snake Oil Salesman are a phuqqing riot!

I got killed (7) times last year,by packs of Wolves alone.

Laughing...you poor poor STUPID phuqq.

Wow.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Given your dad's age and other parameters, Travis' suggestion about the 10/22 seems like the most promising choice, so far, IMO.

Two spare mags in the pocket will give him 30 rounds all up. His main job is to keep his dog and himself alive and whole.

I would not be too dismissive of his capabilities. MT Dept of Fish, Wildlife and Parks says there are 4 collared grizzly bears hanging out in close proximity to his cabin near the Bob Marshall wilderness, and maybe another 40 uncollared in the general area. When he is up there, he carries a Remington pump 35 Whelen. I do not think we need to demote him to .22lr just yet.

Did not know that much about your dad. In that case, never mind. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If the 22LR is not worthy, but you are considering a 5.7, I might suggest a Magnum Research 22 Mag. They weigh around 4.5. Put a Roopold Delta Point on top and you'll be UBER close to all your requirements.

If bears are in the mix, tell him to go Randall #1 and a large-ish baggie of cocaine in the possibles bag.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Burns,

You're lookin' pale. Hit the salon!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Mackay Sagebrush has built an ultralight Ar that he carries all around ID. Under 6 pounds.

He posts photos of it from time to time.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the Montucky 223 stuffed with 75A-Max.

Along with a HERD of angry Woofs!

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pass the Montucky 223 stuffed with 75A-Max.

Along with a HERD of angry Woofs!

Hint.............

[Linked Image]

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will work on the lawn lions, too..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the feeling,that's it right handy...to be afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

'Course I'm on the ropes,as there's no Woofs or Bears here in Kansas.................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When Big Stick posts I just pretend it's Rooster Cogburn as played by Jeff Bridges talking. For some reason it makes it slightly more palatable.....

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts is disconcerting for many and Pretend is their only move.

Funny how it actually works.

Laughing!................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Facts is disconcerting for many and Pretend is their only move.

Funny how it actually works.

Laughing!................

Or you're just a useless douchebag, and a kiddy diddler

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't mean to horn you up.

Hell...maybe after another 20yrs of working the Drive-Thru window,you'll be able to afford a used Montana and get your first phuqqing clue.

Then again.

Laughing!...............

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"I have used the Kimber (back when they was made in OR) for canine killin and while it works OK is falls well short of a properly setup AR."

Using a Kimber made back in OR and using a Montana are two totally different things. I'm quite sure I have several "properly" setup AR's and have been using them for years to kill called coyotes. As well as hunting with several others who thought the AR was needed for multiple coyotes, though most could only run their AR well enough to miss quicker.

Montana 204 works on called doubles.
[Linked Image]
Even works on escaping kitty kats.
[Linked Image]
I'm quite sure the Montana in 223 I secured yesterday will perform equally well as the one I have in 22-250ai does on pigs or canines.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear good things.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, if one has a Glock or a 1911 handy:

http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php

around 5lbs less optics & accessories. Calibers up to 10mm auto. Takes Glock or 1911 mags, depending on model.

YMMV, 'cuz I don't know if they actually work, or not. I can vouch that the Kel-Tec Sub2000's are not so hot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 58 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.