Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like Adam I like the Russell's, but I need extra ankle support, so the RM PH's worked well for me. The best analagy I heard was something between a pair of high top sneakers and work boots. Comfyness of sneaks, just somewhat more rugged.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ab_bentley

These are what I wore in Namibia. Lightest most comfortable boots I've ever had.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I wear leather FootJoy golf shoes. The bottom is completely thorn proof and the plastic golf cleats will not slip.
Leaving next Wed.

Last edited by RinB; 08/14/14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year I wore these Keen Utility Detroit Mid Soft Toe. Link: Keen from Zappos

I was in equatorial Africa for three weeks exactly a year ago, walked several miles every day, it was rainy season so there was a lot of water around. And it rained at least part of every day and was hotter than hell since we were right on the equator. My feet were the only part of me that stayed dry and comfortable.

I'm still wearing them to work. REALLY comfortable lightweight boot and long lasting.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just returned from Africa- both wife and I wore Keen Targhee boots, from the Eastern Cape mountains, to the Karoo, and the sandy terrain of the Kalahari. They were so comfortable, we even wore them in the evenings rather than our camp shoes!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear Danner Pronghorns. I've used this boot twice now in the Eastern Cape and KZN. This past June the boot served me well while stalking Vaal rhebok and oribi in the western edge of the Drakensberg Mountains, as well as slipping to within 35 yards of a feeding bushpig at night in the thick bush of the EC. They give me the ankle support I like and the light quietness I desire in a boot.

In addition, this is the same boot I wear when chasing antelope in October to elk in late December. A great all-around boot, IMO.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I took a pair of Kangaroo boots from Cabelas on my trip last year. They were super light weight and were great for hiking thru the sand and provided great traction on the Kopi. I was 100% satisfied

Last edited by maksmith; 09/07/14.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I hunted the eastern cape almost on the coast and also the Sneeuberge mountains in the Karoo region.

I wore LL bean cresta hikers and felt they were perfect but they are also my favorite boots at home until it gets cold.

I would just wear any uninsulated boot that is well broken in and comfortable to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with Merrell ankle high shoes.

I was looking at taking my Russell or Courtney shoes.

However on this years trip i was planning on leaving all my shoes behind for the trackers and I traveled home in my camp slippers.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wore my Lowa Renegades and would say they were just about perfect. I think by now you've not only gotten some good recommendations, but also a pretty good set of criteria so you can find what fits you best.

Good luck.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I just returned from 30 days in RSA and Namibia. I used brown leather FootJoy golf shoes. They were the best I used in 18-20 trips. Thorns cannot penetrate the sole and the leather sides are much superior to the running shoes I used many times. Maybe 6 years ago, I bought a pair of Russell PH boots...green with canvas tops. Used them once. Courtney's have zero arch support. These FJ golf shoes were the best ever no kidding.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my past 3 trips I wore my Lowa desert boots and was satisfied with their performance overall, especially in the sands of Botswans.

On my most recent trip into the Limpopo Province of SA I was in the rocky mountains a lot and when I return I'll try my Lowa Renegades out. They always do me well in any terrain.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.