Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Well I guess I'm wrong, I assumed E rated would be a 10 ply.

These guys are wrong too then.

http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/bfg-allterrain-t-a-ko-tire-lt275-70r18-10-ply-e-series/

Summit lists them as a 3 ply sidewall, I see nothing on BFG specs that says either way.

I imagine he's getting at the fact that load range E tires have a 10 ply rating, not that they actually have 10 plies.

I was too quick to call them a "10 ply" I know they are rated for like 3600 lbs, E rated... but I don't know how they are actually put together. I know they are E rated, 80 psi.

But I also know that there's a chit pile I don't know about tires. I'm amazed at how much there really is to good tire mounting and balancing.

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by milespatton
A lot of guys will wrinkle their nose at a 10 ply on a half ton.

I am running 10 ply, 16 inch tires on my Taco. These were recommended by the local coop. as the favorite of the local farmers. Been on a year now and I like them. miles

Running E rated tires on the 4runner, lot sturdier tire and should last longer. I don't run 80 psi, just 50

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had 2 sets on my Jeep, stock size and 32's. I hated the first set, they were terrible in the winter and wore like crap. 2nd set was a lot better. They are a good tire, but are getting to be a little dated design. I think there are equally as good or better AT tires out there in the same price point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've run the BFG All-Terrains a lot in the desert. You will lose 1-1.5 mpg relative to the same size Michelin, but the BFG have excellent damage resistance, IME. Last year I bought 5 (yes, a spare, too) for my 04 F150 4x4, when I was headed to hunt in West Texas. I had no trouble with flats or rock damage, despite the rough country.

Michelin does make an LTX AT2 which has a little better traction than pure highway tires, but still have better fuel economy than the AT tires. I won't run them in the desert, however. I have run them on the beach, and they were fine in soft stuff - probably not as good as a mudder, but much nicer on the highway.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not a bad tire on a lighter truck, I sold BFG/Michelin and cooper until Bridgestone bought our our store, we kept selling cooper but droped BFG and Michelin. In my opinion Bridgestone/Firestone builds every bit as good of tire. Coopers are a more affordable option and do very well themselves. I run Coopers on all my own trucks. Biggest thing i saw with the AT KO's was lack of rotation.
I did run as set of BFG AT's on my old half ton and only got about 30k on them, I really hated them and they would ball up with snow worse than any tire I had ever run. But they are a well built tire.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Michele's are not overly good traction tire harder compound and wear like iron. BFG AT s are just the opposite very soft and one of the best traction tires I have. Bad thing is they tend to wear really fast and start to make a lot of noise pretty quick. Have seen them get out of round to the point they would throw off the wheel weights. This was only on the larger 35 s. 33 haven't had that much problem with..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've run several sets of BFG KOs on several different vehicles and thought they were great tires and lasted a long time

Had 2 different sets of BFG KMs as well and was equally impressed, thought they were a little louder

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have ran AT/KO on two trucks and MT's on a Wrangler with good results. It was my understanding that the AT/KO and MT's are being discontinued and combined this fall as KO2's. Might consider waiting to buy the KO2's to avoid any future warranty issues w the availability of the AT/KO should one go bad.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had over 80,000 miles on my first set of BFG ATs on a 1/2 ton, and have gotten 60,000 miles apiece on 2 sets of them on my 3/4 ton so I'm not sure how some are only getting 30,000 out of them as they're some of the longest-lasting tires I've ever used. If you're using them for rock crawling, then I wouldn't expect that kind of mileage on them...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 30,000 was on pavement, gravel, dirt and hauling hay once a year with my 3/4 ton GMC. No rock crawling. I wished they had lasted longer 'cuz I thought they were a good tire for everything I used them for, but deep packed snow. The firestone ATs lasted 50,000 plus on my 1/2 ton Suburban. Now that I switch tires winter/summer it will most likely be years before I need another set.

I have a friend who got 80,000 with the BFGs on his 1/2 Ford, but he didn't haul anything with it and drove mostly on pavement.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/03/14.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep them rotated and you should be very happy with tire life. Traction is great as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think there are a lot better tires out there for less money than that 35-year-old design. They get noisier as they wear and have some on pavement issues.

We pulled a set off my buddy's F350 and replaced them with Cooper Discoverer A/T3s since Discount was warrantying them anyway. The Coopers were $20 cheaper, much quieter and have better handling than the BFGs.

The BFGs might be decent on a very light truck but not for a real truck.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd there is a better tire for our Upper MI climate I am not aware of it. Long life and excellent traction on snow. As long as you get the snow rated versions which have deeper tread.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/10/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have run a few sets on different vehicles. My truck is used for farm work, fencing, hauling hay and stock some of the time. It seems the tires last about 25,000 miles regardless of the truck. On a 88 Land Cruiser FJ62 they got about 28,000. Most of that was on highway with some forest service roads and cross country on big ranches. The traction was okay, haven't had anything a lot better or a lot worse.

I went to Yokohama tires last time and am at 34,000 right now and should see close to 40,000. Of course they don't make them any longer.

Last edited by stantdm; 09/10/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BFG has had some problems with their KM2 mud tire.. My brother had one lose its tread and did over $3k worth of damage to his Duramax. BFG fixed his truck.. but it was after threatening to sue them. I am in the tire industry and know most of the tire reps.. my favorite tire at the moment is the Nitto TrailGrappler.. I have them on my truck and my dad has them on his Duramax. They wear good and are pretty quiet.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I was too quick to call them a "10 ply" I know they are rated for like 3600 lbs, E rated... but I don't know how they are actually put together. I know they are E rated, 80 psi.

"10 ply" is the common terminology for E rated tires, just as "8 ply" is for D rated and "6 ply" for C rated. That dates back to the bias ply tire days when that was the actual number. Today the number doesn't matter, with radials all that matters is the E/D/C load rating but people still call them by the old nomenclature. When you say "10 ply" most everyone knows you're talking about an E rated tire even though there probably isn't an E rated tire out there today that actually has 10 plies. It's the same when you say "1/2 ton" pickup. There hasn't been a pickup rated that low for many years but people know what you mean.

I've ran E rated tires on my 2500 dodge cummins since it was new. They're definitely tougher than passenger tires, I've hardly ever had a flat out of one. They'll ride OK if you keep the air pressure lower, but they're heavy and will likely cut your fuel mileage some.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7 ply tread plus 3 ply sidewalls equals 10 plys...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The ply rating actually referred to the number of plies in the sidewall, not the tread.

10 ply=E load range=80 psi tire
8 ply=D load range=65 psi tire
6 ply=C load range=50 psi tire

Today it's just an archaic carryover

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
AT KO2's are replacing the current KO's this year but I don't think they come out until November.

I have run AT KO's on 3 trucks and love them, but because they are hard to find right now so I think I'll try duratrac this time - althought they are softer sidewalks they throw snow better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The above are load range E

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.