-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had to put this old boy down a little over a month ago.
[Linked Image]

He was by far the "toughest" dog I've ever been around. He would hunt pheasant until he wore the pads off his paws and only when I managed to get a leash on him would he stop. Bloody paws and all, he would keep going.

Ran full bore into a barbed wire fence, pierced his chest as he flipped [bleep] over elbows over it, shook himself off and kept running.

And when it came to other dogs, he was downright brutal. Saw him chase a great dane across our property, chased off labs and retrievers and really only ever got along with our female GSP and my Dad's lab.

Oh and he could swim for hours on end. Never for a purpose, just liked to swim.

As someone above mentioned, it was his desire. He had a very strong hunt instinct in him and he just wouldn't stop, ever. Was very difficult to say goodbye to him, because he was MY dog.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sorry for your loss. We all deserve at least one great dog. Maybe more.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Louie is not a tough dog when it comes to cold, but he loves the heat.
I have seen him sleeping before he hit the ground however, then when I went to open the gate he got out and was going to head i to the field to hunt again!!
I've had to leash him a few times because I needed to take care of cactus thorns or other some such stickers in his paw and it's a job to catch him if there are birds around even if i see him limping!
I've watched him pile right up on blow downs and hidden page wire( that was a frightening experience to watch!!) and keep on going.
The whistle lets him know I'm not messing around however!
[Linked Image]
His buddy tramp however ( Hornhead's Griffon)is about as tough a pointer as you can find!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
he will swim all day, climb straight backs of creeks, rocks, pile into blowdowns and great right back up and keep on charging! I don't think I've seen that dog slow down.....
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My time as a Boykin owner ended after almost 20.years this week when I had my last one put down because of failing health. Both of my dogs gave their all in hot and cold weather. The older dog hunted hard through her 13th season. Their efforts to please were monumental. Lack of wild bird opportunities make getting a new pup impractical. I used to live in wonderful pheasant country and the dogs had over 100 wild birds shot over them almost every season for several years. I will miss the companionship.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just because you don't need a dog doesn't mean a dog doesn't need you.

IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Trust me, there are still plenty of dogs on the farm, just no bird dogs. My dogs were from hunting lines and lived to hunt. They were also great pets, but would have been really bored without birds.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm glad you clarified the situation. It was just a suggestion anyway, not a criticism.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by oznog
My time as a Boykin owner ended after almost 20.years this week when I had my last one put down because of failing health. Both of my dogs gave their all in hot and cold weather. The older dog hunted hard through her 13th season. Their efforts to please were monumental. Lack of wild bird opportunities make getting a new pup impractical. I used to live in wonderful pheasant country and the dogs had over 100 wild birds shot over them almost every season for several years. I will miss the companionship.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Boykin. I don't think that any breed gets as close to their owner as a Boykin does. I miss mine terribly.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
I just had to put this old boy down a little over a month ago.
[Linked Image]

He was by far the "toughest" dog I've ever been around. He would hunt pheasant until he wore the pads off his paws and only when I managed to get a leash on him would he stop. Bloody paws and all, he would keep going.

Ran full bore into a barbed wire fence, pierced his chest as he flipped [bleep] over elbows over it, shook himself off and kept running.

And when it came to other dogs, he was downright brutal. Saw him chase a great dane across our property, chased off labs and retrievers and really only ever got along with our female GSP and my Dad's lab.

Oh and he could swim for hours on end. Never for a purpose, just liked to swim.

As someone above mentioned, it was his desire. He had a very strong hunt instinct in him and he just wouldn't stop, ever. Was very difficult to say goodbye to him, because he was MY dog.

You just described my Jake. They could pass for twins. He will swim after ducks and geese on the pond until he is to the point of drowning. He has run 17 miles non stop beside the ATV like it was nothing. He rides shotgun everywhere I go. He put the U in uber. I am sorry for your loss.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Nothing is tougher than our dog, Jet. Not only is he fast, hence the name Jet, but just to see his own reflection in the mirror is more than many dogs bigger than him could withstand...

[Linked Image]

LMFAO!!!!! What in the hell is that!?!?!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks CrowRifle. Looking at that pic of your pup sure brought back some memories of when Remmy was a younger dog. Thanks for the kind words and sharing the pic. They're amazingly awesome dogs and there will be a GSP at my side until the day I die.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.