Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If someone is charged with a crime and found not guilty, shouldn't that unfounded charge be sealed from public inquiry? I'm inclined to agree with Fred Dyson - and I'm not all that fond of Parnell anyway..

Let's face it - merely being charged carries a stigma,,,,

Your thoughts?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it does. Get a daughter mad enough to make up a charge, nothing short of her recanting can put your rep back in tact, even a not guilty verdict.

Did you mean this for the campfire forum?

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Recent issue in AK Legislature, which I haven't really been paying much attention to. Caught an edge of a news snip tonight by Fred Dyson, a Democrat, saying he was disappointed in Gov Parnell (R) on the subject.

I made a leap of (logic?) and assumed Parnell had either vetoed passed legislation or came out against it.

Interested in where other Alaskans stand on it, but you are right- it would make a good topic for the 'fire in general.

Last edited by las; 08/29/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder what Richard Nixon would have thought about this.....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have someone accuse you of being a child molester. You think you'd ever be rid of that?
Once you are in the system, you will ALWAYS be in the system. The Feds NEVER wipe anything. Fifty years from now if your tailight were out and the cop lights you up to be pulled over, there it would be.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Like this?

Link to Article

State drops sex assault charges against Alaska Regional Hospital security guard
Jerzy Shedlock
August 22, 2014

Loren Holmes / Alaska Dispatch News
State prosecutors have dropped two sexual assault charges against John Giacalone, an Alaska Regional Hospital security guard who was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl who�d been alone in the hospital�s emergency department waiting room.

In mid-July, the 56-year-old hospital guard and forensic scientist at the state�s Scientific Crime Detection Laboratory was arrested on two charges, first- and second-degree sexual assault.

Anchorage police investigated the alleged sex assault, and the city�s district attorney�s office initially determined there was probable cause based on the evidence.

RELATED:
Hospital guard who also works in state crime lab charged with raping teen
However, after reviewing new evidence from a subsequent investigation, the prosecutors �concluded that in light of all available evidence, there exists substantial doubt as to what occurred on the night in question,� according to a district attorney�s office news release.

Assistant District Attorney Jenna Gruenstein said she could not get into specifics about the investigation but contended the initial charges were based on �limited information� that was later called into question.

The girl told police she�d been sleeping in the hospital�s waiting room and fell asleep. Giacalone woke her up and led her to an office, then sexually assaulted the teen, according to the dropped charges.

When asked if prosecutors believed Giacalone did not commit the crime, Gruenstein said, �We were not able to make that determination. We�ve done substantial investigation, and I can�t say that it did not happen.�

An Alaska Regional spokesperson said the hospital has "confidence in the investigative process."

"We are relieved that the thorough investigation resulted in the dismissal of all charges," said Kjerstin Lastufka.

On Aug. 15, the state reduced Giacalone�s bail from $500,000 to $100,000, according to online court records. He posted the bond and was released with an ankle monitor for a week, the prosecutor said.

With the dropping of all charges, he no longer must wear the monitor.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Better that ten guilty go free than to imprison an innocent.

This is a double-edged sword. On one hand you have real career schitt-heads that get arrested all the time for one thing or another and for whatever reason the case or some charges are dismissed during the court process. Knowing that you are dealing with a schitt-head can be valuable information.

OTOH, you have the rare innocent or falsely accused person who gets arrested and the charges are later dismissed or they are found not guilty in court. That record still appears on their criminal history printout.

The big difference is the career schitt-head has convictions mixed in with the arrest/dismissals. It also tends to muddy the waters when we are gathering criminal history info to provide to the courts for arraignments. Past arrests are irrelevant as convictions are the only thing that counts in the court.

Sometimes because even the best system is run by fallible humans, there are and have been times where they/we have acted in haste before all the ducks have been properly lined up. No one should have to carry someone else's mistake or lack of evidence in their background.

I agree with Dyson that arrests/dismissals shouldn't be part of a person's criminal history and in my opinion violate Alaska Constitution's Right to Privacy clause. Plus it's a pain in the arse to sift through the convictions verses dismissals and arrests that have gone nowhere when preparing for court.

Oh yeah, I remember the last democrap I agreed with was Eric Croft and his Constitutional Carry bill that became law. Eh.....I guess agreeing with the bastids once every ten years or so isn't bad.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Especially if a close friend or relative of the injured party knows where they live.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Especially if a close friend or relative of the injured party knows where they live.

I got no problem with that.

Z
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Eh.....I guess agreeing with the bastids once every ten years or so isn't bad.

Yeah. Even a friggen nut finds a squirrel every once in a while.

Did I get that right? smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Close enough. laugh

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
786 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.