Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Purchased a new to me Savage 116 pre-AccuTrigger in a 270 caiber. I had a Timley 3lb trigger added.

I want to replace the factory stock which is giving me a lot of flex with a much stiffer one. The gun will be use from low basin desert hunts in Feb for Javelina to high mountain Dec Elk.

Suggestions from aross the price spectrum please.

TIA

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
McMillan Hunters Edge.
$600.00, over half a years wait.
Look no more.

Retired and loving it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd spend $.99 on a For Sale sign and live a little..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If the forend is the culprit for not being stiff enough, that can be stiffened by adding some reinforcement. One typical way is to lay piece of carbon arrow in the channel below the barrel(there is usually an open space there). Then fill around it with Accuglass.

If it is the butt, removing the recoil pad a filling the void inside the stock with expanding foam( TuffStuff) will help a little.

Then there is maybe putting a wood stock on it from Boyds. I think you can get one for under a $100 that you would finish.
Putting a $600 stock on it would be like putting croutons on a cow pie.

I'm not recommending anything, just putting options out there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another way to go, but it will require work to inlet and finish the stock:

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/index.html

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd spend $.99 on a For Sale sign and live a little..............

wink +

Educate me - How does one determine "too much flex" in a stock????

And if so perceived, how about full -length glass-bedding... That there barrel and epoxy should stiffen things a mite...

I didn't figure that heavy stock/heavy 27" barreled '98 bbl really needed full length bedding but dang- that thing shoots.... for as many rounds as I need to kill 1-5 caribou... generally one round each to 500 yards...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gunsmithing forum may be more help -- this site is going "high school". Something with Kevlar or just another approach beyond foam-and-core. (You haven't said what the factory composition is.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hilarious,that getting deeper than Montucky money in a Salvage...is the new Texas War CRY.

You dumb phuqqs are a hoot!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is the butt, removing the recoil pad a filling the void inside the stock with expanding foam( TuffStuff) will help a little.

If you go this route, be aware that expanding foam comes in different expanding rates. I would use one that does very little expanding or go slow with your fill, or it can make bulges in places that you do not want it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hilarious,that getting deeper than Montucky money in a Salvage...is the new Texas War CRY.

THAT is a painful revelation. cry

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Turd Polishing is a riot................

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd go to Stocky's and buy a B&C Medalist with a blind magazine, not as nice as a Mickey handle but no where near the cost either and they are in stock ready to ship. A much better stock than the factory Savage, and lighter than the Boyds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd spend the dollar and purchase a sign.

Hint................

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

THAT is a painful revelation. cry

I've got $650 total in this rifle without scope, $800 with it so tell me how am I deeper than a Montucky in a Salvage? I figure I'm $250 less than a used Montana in .243 and $500 less than a new one. Plus it's a .250 Savage which of course you'll think is a waste, but it kills deer and varmints just fine as far away as I want to shoot it even with junk bullets. It's all about buying the parts at the right price.....(Hint)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A "good deal" on a piece of schit,ain't much to "swoon".

Congratulations on the innate ability,to drop sooooooooo many balls,while being convinced you were doing "great".

Funny stuff!

For $800 I could Faux Ti 243,rock the COAL,throat and twist via 105 smooches and drive a 6x FF MQ,so as to reach a mile easily.

Hint................

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I could just as easily put the .243 barrel back on rock 105's as well and extend my reach. That's the nice thing about an erector set of a rifle the Salvage is. Hell it might even be more accurate than your faux Ti.

Where you assume I dropped balls was not building it the way you would. I've got news for you, you aren't that special (Except in the head...Hint). I wanted a .250 Savage so I got a .250 Savage, don't know why you can't connect that dot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stockade stocks is also worth checking out http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html

A little fat in the wrist, but hell for stout, and a lot cheaper than other choices.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupid is never smart.

Keep telling yourself those things aloud.

Laughing!..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B&C is a great stock when you are on a budget .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I stocked my son's Mauser 98 with a Boyd's walnut prairie hunter with their laser checkering. Looks fantastic and not a bad price... Under $200 IIRC? Plenty stiff throughout; good straight grain:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,744
Posts18,457,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.