-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
(Yes, I know this type of posting is best in the classifieds, so I am listing it in both areas.)

I have recently purchased a .416 Rigby rifle. So I need some ammunition. I have found some ammo from the usuals, such as Midway at $100 for a box of 20. I will be using this ammo for casual plinking, shooting paper, and hopefully at some point, I will need ammo capable of shooting at large animals.

But for now, I am looking for some boxes of ammo for plinking.

If anyone on the fire has some .416 Rigby ammo to sell, please shoot me an e-mail (Freedumboneyahoo.com is working best at the time.) and let me know how much ammo you have and how many dollars you need to ship to, Zip Code 51106.

Thanks.

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One word -- handload.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Give these fella's a look see.

https://nyatiinc.com/

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by agazain
One word -- handload.

Your right, but I want to start with some factory ammo, so I can see if I can be a 416 Rigby fan, or I need to do reduced loads etc.

Thanks

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Give these fella's a look see.

https://nyatiinc.com/

Some very interesting loads.

I may do this.

Thank you for the heads up.

Mitch

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You're welcome.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got 7 boxes rolling.

Thanks for the help.

Mitch

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

What rifle did you buy in .416 Rigby?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That oughta keep you busy. Save EVERY case! (Then you can find out about shooting cast boolits for pennies per round. Well, okay, quarters.) Whoopee!

BTW shoot them standing up...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
(Yes, I know this type of posting is best in the classifieds, so I am listing it in both areas.)

I have recently purchased a .416 Rigby rifle. So I need some ammunition. I have found some ammo from the usuals, such as Midway at $100 for a box of 20. I will be using this ammo for casual plinking, shooting paper, and hopefully at some point, I will need ammo capable of shooting at large animals.

But for now, I am looking for some boxes of ammo for plinking.

If anyone on the fire has some .416 Rigby ammo to sell, please shoot me an e-mail (Freedumboneyahoo.com is working best at the time.) and let me know how much ammo you have and how many dollars you need to ship to, Zip Code 51106.

Thanks.

Mitch

I know it's kinda late since your already have rifle and ammo, but for plinking it would be wise to buy 7,62x39 bolt gun. These are made by CZ, ZCZ (Serbian) and I believe Ruger made some in the past. Ammo can be bought for about 25c per round and one does not have to save cases or reload. It is much more fun to shoot at range as well. If I remember correctly shooting .416 is analogous to shooting skeet or trap with 3" magnum loads in pump gun w/o recoil pad wearing just T-shirt.

For deer hunting with quality soft points it's at least as good as Ole' Boy .30-30.

Last edited by Slavek; 09/04/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
wink

I'm sure most will think I am a nut job, but I bought a Ruger No.1 Tropical, SS/laminate. (I am addicted to No.1's, and have been for about 40 years.)

I have had a .458 LOTT in a Ruger No.1, it kicked the snot out of me to the point that shooting it 5 to 10 rounds on an outing was enough. (Back when I was 10 years younger.)
I have Medium Sporters in 9.3 X 74R, 45-70 GOVT, (2) and recoil is not bad, (Lighter rifles, lighter round.)

I'm sure this Tropical will be a favorite after I get a chance to shoot it some.

Thanks for all the help.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by agazain
That oughta keep you busy. Save EVERY case! (Then you can find out about shooting cast boolits for pennies per round. Well, okay, quarters.) Whoopee!

BTW shoot them standing up...

I think you are 100% right!

I learned that a long time ago when I touched off a Weatherby .460 Mag setting down. (About broke my shoulder.)

Thats when I learned that you can't stop a rifle from recoiling, you have to go with the flow!!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
wink

I'm sure most will think I am a nut job, but I bought a Ruger No.1 Tropical, SS/laminate. (I am addicted to No.1's, and have been for about 40 years.)

I have had a .458 LOTT in a Ruger No.1, it kicked the snot out of me to the point that shooting it 5 to 10 rounds on an outing was enough. (Back when I was 10 years younger.)
I have Medium Sporters in 9.3 X 74R, 45-70 GOVT, (2) and recoil is not bad, (Lighter rifles, lighter round.)

I'm sure this Tropical will be a favorite after I get a chance to shoot it some.

Thanks for all the help.
Good luck. wink

And [b]PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! [/b]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,653
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.