Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
After years of dreaming about it, my first (I hope) safari has come to pass. I met Scott Van Zyl (SS Pro Safaris) about 10 years ago with a friend of mine who hunted with him a couple of times. He supported a DU event I did for a few years. I figured the least I could do is hunt with him. Glad I did, he put a package together for me and another guy 10 days including an Impala, Blue Wilde beast, Zebra, Wart Hog and Steinebok (how ever it's spelled) for $3500. Sounded good. Put it together and flew over. Course I also wanted a couple of other things but I wasn't real good at the names of some of the animals, probably one of the most ignorant safari hunters you guys have ever met. For those who it's important to I used a Winchester Model 70, 338WM, with a VX-3 2.5-8 X 36 and 210 NP's. I prefer 250s but couldn't find them in either Sportsmans Warehouse or the cabelas where I live.

I got in late July 20th things went pretty well getting my stuff and my firearms license. It was a 3-1/2 hour trip to the "ranch" were we were going to hunt. We got in pretty late but they held supper for us, it was good.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got around the next morning and sighted in. Not really knowing what the hunting conditions were like I had sighted in 3" high at 100 yards so about 230 yards dead on. I resighted dead on at 100 yards. Probably took one shot over 100 yards.

Then we went hunting. One of the things I wanted was a Kudu so when we saw one I took a shot. There was nothing between me and the kudu (he was looking out at us between bushes) but I couldn't see the angle of the body. I don't like frontal shots but figured what could go wrong... Anyway we heard him come down the hill but he turned off and in the process of tracking a heard of wildebeast had come through and messed up the tracks. We spent the rest of the day looking and came back the next day and even called in a helicopter. No luck. Not a great start $2300 bill for an animal I didn't get plus $500 helicopter bill and two days into the hunt.

The next two days were uneventful, I was leary to take anything but the best shots and you don't get a lot of those.

Day 5 and things changed. We found some Blesbok that didn't know we were there and my partner got one. A little later than morning I got one.
[Linked Image]
We took them in to the skinning shed had lunch and went back out. We were on a roll, I ended up getting a nice Gemsbok. I think they are cool animals and when we came across them I couldn't pass.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Then we started hunting for Zebra (which was in the package)we saw some but never got a shot, until the next day. In Alaska we never hunted "hot" round in the chamber safety on. In Africa it's common place apparently. We saw several zebras and my safety was on then off then on and when I got a chance, something was wrong I looked at my rifle and it was on safety, I took the safety off and the zebra was gone. A few minutes later I got another shot. This time through brush but the Zebra was close to the brush so I figured I had a descent shot. I shot and the zebra was gone. Not even any blood. We went back to the ranch and got the owner and his dogs and came back. Withing minutes the dogs were on the zebra track and were worrying the zebra he never even realized we were coming up to finish it. We loaded up the zebra and took him to the locker so we could continue to hunt.
[Linked Image]
We headed out and after a little bit saw some Blue Wildebeasts, we started stalking and I kept seeing the PH glassing, pretty soon he said "I don't see the bull." But we kept sneaking and they were getting pretty nervous but for once the wind was in our favor. Finally he found the bull and I snuck up to a tree. Another frontal shot. He told me to shoot right for the breast bone. As I started to sight he said, "you see the nose, shoot right under it". I did and he fell right over. He said, "I hate telling people to do that cause if you are off sometimes you don't get the animal." Glad he didn't tell me that BEFORE I shot. Nice bull, and a good day.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/fightcom44/P1050193.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/fightcom44/P1050192.jpg[/img]

By now I'm getting concerned (a little) about getting all the animals I want. But things kept moving along and the next day I got a nice impala
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/fightcom44/IMG_0363.jpg[/img]
We were getting down to the wire and I'd seen warthogs but they are some pretty nervous critters. Finally I got my chance and took a shot. He took off like crazy and I'm thinking how could this be happening??? But he only went about 30 yards and fell over.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/fightcom44/IMG_0375.jpg[/img]
continued...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the write up Jack!

It goes without saying, we demand photographs when you get a chance.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
We were down to the last day and I still wanted a Kudu. Last day, last hour I got him. Let me tell you when I shot and he took off I almost had a heart attack. 30 yards later we found him.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And to make matters better, I got an email last week and they found the my 1st Kudu. Hide was no good but antlers are still good. 8 animals in 10 days. Looking to go back in 2016 but if it doesn't happen I had a great time.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Some more photos from the watering hole
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did I say I had a great time, and a wonderful experience? We saw a LOT of animals. I've been back a while but posting photos aren't my thing. I had to wait till I made it back to Alaska and get my son's help on this. He through in extra pictures that don't tell the story but hopefully add to the experience.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice write up, Marlin. Congrats!! You had a great trip and found a nice variety of game! Africa gets in your blood, doesn't it?! smile

What caliber were you shooting the NPs with... a 338?

Your Kudu pic is great, you should have one of our photo experts here post process to get a little more light into the Kudu to see the full glory!

I'm also glad to hear you found the first Kudu!

Eric

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice Marlin! I was wondering how your trip went. Congrats on your successes.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on a great safari. Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great time. Were you hunting Limpopo area?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures sounds like a good hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good deal, glad you had fun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry, yes I was using a 338 WM and it was the Limpopo area.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations sir! Very successful trip. Thanks for sharing your great experience with us.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on your first Africa hunt. You took some very nice trophies. Your pictures make me want to be there now!

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding! Congrats on a great hunt!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Marlin-
I showed my wife this 'lightened' pic and she wanted to know what was the animal with the "really long horns" . I asked her if she recognized 'the man' in the pic and she hesitated only briefly before saying "Spenard......where is he? That is so cool." wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
laugh laugh Tell her I said HI

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

Marlin-
I showed my wife this 'lightened' pic and she wanted to know what was the animal with the "really long horns" . I asked her if she recognized 'the man' in the pic and she hesitated only briefly before saying "Spenard......where is he? That is so cool." wink

Awesome!!! cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To many of us Africa is spelled K U D U !! cool

Thanks for sharing. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Awesome write up. Thanks for the photographs smile

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, sir!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for taking the time to post those great pictures and write up the story of your safari.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,519 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.