-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, was this really twelve years ago? Or has it JUST been twelve years since "Shooter's" broke up?

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I purchased my first SS barreled rifle just over a year ago, Ruger #1 in 7 STW. As with all new rifles, the first thing I did with it was clean the bore and apply Action Product's Friction Block.
I cleaned the bore with Shooter's Choice on bronze brushes from Midway, followed by dry cotton patches, followed by USP bore paste on a tight cotton patch, followed by dry patches to remove paste, and finally a patch with a couple drops of Hoppe's #9 to remove the last of the paste. Then repeat and repeat again.
Each time I applied the brush and Shooter's choice to the bore I got lots of black gunk which resembled powder fouling from the CM barrels in my past experience. I spent about three hours repeating the procedure listed above. And the black came back each time, until I switched the bronze brush for a patch with Shooter's Choice.
I have never had any such experience with CM barrels. They are always very easy to clean before firing. After firing the powder residue always responds in a predictable manner.
My cousin subsequently bought a Rem 700 Sendero SS in 7STW, and we had the same experience when cleaning it brfore shooting. He finally purchased a nylon brush to use on his rifle.
I also saw the same results when cleaning my new Ruger 77MKII SS in 260 Rem.
Is there an adverse chemical reaction occurring between SS, Shooter's Choice, and the bronze brush?
Is SS just so abrasive to the bronze that it makes things turn black, and why would the color be black instead of bronze colored, if so?
I am not confident in a thorough cleaning job using a nylon bore brush. I now clean the barrels of my SS rifles using the process shown above and repeat once. Then I trade the brush for a patch soaked in Shooter's Choice,and repeat a couple more times. I then leave a final light coat of Hoppe.s in the bore.
Please respond if you know why a SS barrel responds to cleaning in this manner or if you have a cleaning method which works better.

I do not think I have a bronze brush on the place any more. But I did buy a couple yards of white cotton flannel at the fabric store which Momma visits.

I remember it was just a short while later that 'Stick got after me for suggesting that a 30-06 was a better long range game cartridge than the 308.

That was an educational thread.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Here is mine from a LONG time ago. I still only buy stainless if it's available.

My First Post

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...5833/Re_SHOOTERS_CHECK_IN_HERE#Post15833

I was a little later on 1-26-01 then many of y'all 1-25-01 folks! laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looks like my first post was in the Deer Hunting forum, about Federal 150 grain .270 cartridges, that I had picked up at a KMart in Miami. smile

Sam......

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Hey guys, I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone has info about the new alaska meindl and how it compares to the canada. I am doing a carabou hunt in the brooks range in august and am planning on getting the canadas but saw the alaskas and was curious. Any help would be appriciated, thanks BD"

Went with the Canadas.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine was in the classified, bought a Browning Model 12 28ga.

first post

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
375 H&H model 99.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/140815/Re_375_H_H_Mag#Post140815

2/21/03

HunterND

8 posts and moved on. When I rediscovered the fire I couldn't remember my old password.

Last edited by mog75; 09/01/14. Reason: HunterND

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._need_stock_screws_for_Model#Post1134431

I tried to help someone with a question. unlike the trolls that post here.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sactoller
Mine was in the classified, bought a Browning Model 12 28ga.

first post

Most excellent first post!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by badger

A long time ago........

Yes it was but they were great days bac then getting this place started.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I asked about some 6x bino's and Dober recommended the Leupold Yosemites, which I later bought and still use.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/2609470/Help_with_Binos_6x#Post2609470

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't remember for sure though it might have been in the classifieds trying to buy a NIB Ruger Charger!!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got directed here while researching Barnes TSX bullets and ended up reading a lot of posts from the Africa forum and reports from JJHack. The I kept reading and learning more, I had been reading the forum for a while before first posting.
When I finally posted it was about some info on how to get started reloading.

newbie wants to reload

I have not participated that much, I do ask more questions than answer any, but I don't make stuff up and try to talk with some knowledge basis. I have zinged one or two members here though. smile but I tend to hold back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am for using all resources to make sure a person is guilty and then make it a short time until the death penalty is performed. I am also for the concealed carry, since it seems that now we have to do such things to enjoy our rights. miles patton

Above is a copy of my first post here. Seems that It was almost a month between joining and my first post. I also noticed that my current sig line shows up in my first post when you go back. I came over from the old "shooters" and knew a lot of the people here when I joined. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 09/02/14. Reason: get the quote in the right place

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ha! another thread killer... I can give really good advice on doing that blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first post was on the "A-bolt haters R us support organization" thread....and I bought another one after that grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I joined thirteen years ago and my first post was a response to something about what kind of rifle we used.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,483
Posts18,451,903
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.