Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, had my 300wsm all tuned up. 200 grain partitions, Kimber MT, put over 300 rounds through this rig with nary a hiccup. Shoots 1" all day.

I shoot 2 rounds almost touching at 200 yards. Move 1 click left and shoot again.
4" to the left. WTH?
Shoot again at different bullseye. 4" left. WTH?
Move 6 clicks right. Bang, 6" right of bullseye. Shoot again, 6" right. Vertical on all shots is perfect.

Suggestions as to what may have happened?

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What happened was 300+ rounds on a lightweight 300 magnum.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nope. Has recoil pad, great trigger. I know the rig, wasn't flinching.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You weren't, the scope was.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mighta missed the point�.the scope might have gotten rattled by the recoil. Check it on a collimator.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome to the world of Leupold.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Welcome to the world of Leupold.

So true. I have a VX2 2x7 that I had to send back to Leupold twice for the exact same problem. Really frustrating. I was thinking about moving up to a VX3 hoping that they had cured the problem with the dual erector springs in the VX3 models. Sounds like I should put that purchase on hold. What is so difficult about making a scope that tracks accurately?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've found if you will always make your last twist of the knob an "R" (right), or "UP" it seems to move exactly where intended. Learned this trick from Cecil Tucker and it works great for me.

If that doesn't work and it continues to act like the OP's, would tend to think erector is bad.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/02/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scope probably went tits up.

I would check mounts, run elevation and windage up and down, left and right, bore sight then shoot a box.

If the scope is dead, you'll figger it out pretty quick.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep I sure did. My apologies. Thanks for the advice, I'll do some checking. Already checked mounts, action screws ect, everything's tight as can be.

I've had a couple vx-2s , never a problem. Is this a common problem with Leupold?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't speak to the VX-3 models but I have well over a dozen of the VX-II models and about 25% of them either have or develop adjustment and tracking problems as you describe. Shoot a group, adjust elevation up 1" (4 clicks), the next group is 2 1/2" high and 2" over. Move it down 2 1/2" and back over 2" and the group is 1" above the original group and 1" over.

Mule Deer has mentioned that a "well known company's" variables are known for getting adjustment problems and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Leupold.

Just send it back to Leupold and they will fix it for free.

Before anybody asks why I keep buying the VX-II's, I buy them used for a great price and accept the risk of problems - sometimes someone sells it dirt cheap because it has problems. I send'em to Leupold for a free tune up and they run just fine after that.

FWIW, I've never ever had a problem with a Leupold fixed power and have used more than a few of those.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, sending my pa on a Wyoming elk hunt in about 3 weeks, suppose to be this rifle. No time for sending scope in right now. If I can make the adjustments to where it needs to be; will it stay there? My vertical adjustments seem to track perfect.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Yep, the good news is, you bought a Leupold. They'll make it right.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Well, sending my pa on a Wyoming elk hunt in about 3 weeks, suppose to be this rifle. No time for sending scope in right now. If I can make the adjustments to where it needs to be; will it stay there? My vertical adjustments seem to track perfect.

I'd at least give them a call they might be able to fast track the turnaround for you if you tell them the circumstances. I've heard tales of the same in the past. Worst that could happen there is you've wasted a phone call if they can't fix it for you in time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ndhunterman

Send it in and tell them you have a hunt coming up.

Bet you get it back in time..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would not knowingly go on a hunt, especially out of state with a broken scope.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Are either adjustment close to the maximum? I've had adjustments become erratic when either windage or elevation were close to maxed out.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Either swap a scope from another rifle, for the hunt, or send the scope to Leupold.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by local_favorite
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Yep, the good news is, you bought a Leupold. They'll make it right.

Leupold customer service is top notch and I like and use a lot of their products. That being said if the scope fails at the wrong point in time (my Dad had a X III fail-turned out to be the erector spring) while on a hunt in Africa. Having them replace it for free was a non issue at that point.

Not bashing Leupold but in some cases you might not want to trade absolute dependability for customer service. Really nice if you can get both.

Golden............
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I would not knowingly go on a hunt, especially out of state with a broken scope.

+1

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.