Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy shizizzle.....

Erich Rudorfer.....

1,000+ missions, 224 victories, shot down 16 times, finished the war with 12 victories in a Me 262.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/rudorffer.html

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Read...The Hell Hawks!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BluMtn
When I was going to college Black Sheep was in its hayday. Pappy Boyington came to our college and gave a lecture on the show and the F4U and to tell some war time stories. He also said that those planes were suppose to fly carrier but they had so much torque that if you were not a good pilot that those planes would under full throttle on take off would roll over on take off so they tried to land base them to give them more runway to take off. Don't know if that is gospel but those were the stories he told.
The USNavy fliers were taught to make a straight on final approach with a signal man guiding him in, problem was with that huge motor the F4U fliers couldn't see the deck or the signal man so the Navy wouldn't approve the plane for carrier operation. It was the Brits that taught the USN to make a constantly curved approach keeping the carrier in sight. The USN did operate the F4U after that.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
While I'm at it, there was another one, the P47 Thunderbolt. More chopped liver I guess.

Growing up in the 60s, my best friends father had been a WW 2 fighter pilot with experience in multiple different planes, both theaters.
His favorite plane, bar none was the P-47.
"Why" we asked ?

Two reasons, he answered.

#1 A thick sheet of steel armor right behind the pilots seat, thick enough to stop a 8mm machine gun bullet.

#2 The very heavy and powerful P-47 could out dive just about anything, giving the pilot a sure escape from a bad situation.

I agree with with assessment... I'm not sure how many P-47's were in the Pacific. I know the Mexican Air Force flew them in the Phillipines. Yes, the Mexican Air Force fought in WW2

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for conversation, I recently got to chat with a fella who flys some amazing old warbirds, including a Zero and a P51.

His favorite plane to fly?

The Bearcat.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It was the Brits that taught the USN to make a constantly curved approach keeping the carrier in sight. The USN did operate the F4U after that.

Imagine flying your whole mission, knowing you still had that ordeal coming up when you were done eek

The first guy to try that deserves a medal, I mean it ain't like they could eject if things went south.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A not so great landing aboard my Dad's boat CV11 Intrepid..Pop said carrier trials were ugly but the only saving grace for screwed up approaches was all the extra power the big Wasp had on demand to successfully abort what would have been a disaster in a lesser power plant..Torque rolls were common early on especially when the 4 blades were added..quote from one of the Intrepid pilots,"The Hog Nose is a great aircraft but it'll kill ya in a NY minute"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Wanaka New Zealand, nice place to view warbirds. I've got to wonder, why so many there?

Edit: Oops, wrong Island. Hood Aerodrome, Masterton NZ

i do believe there is a shop rebuilding the old warbirds there.....know alot of the 'birds found here there and everywhere wind up in NZ to be brought back to flying condition before heading off to other parts of the world....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I just finished reading Robin Olds' autobiography, Fighter Pilot. Olds loved the P38 and had several victories in it in Europe before it was replaced by the P51, which he considered a far superior fighter. He didn't get too technical about it, but he did touch on the topic of how tricky the P38 was to fly and fight in.

a number of pilots in the Pacific Theater were saved a swim due to that second engine.....it had its quirks but given it did ok to great at everything thrown at it EXCEPT the one thing it was designed for cause Germany never made any high altitude bombers its a hell of a plane....it was given a wide variety of jobs to due over its life in WWII

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of my dad's pics from CVE 76

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here's a site with some amazing WW2 stats;

Link

And two very important statements;

(1) No matter how one looks at it, these are incredible statistics. Aside from the figures on aircraft, consider this statement from the article: On average 6600 American service men died per MONTH, during WWII (about 220 a day). Most Americans who were not adults during WWII have no understanding of the magnitude of it. This listing of some of the aircraft facts gives a bit of insight to it.

(2) The US civilian population maintained a dedicated effort for four years, many working long hours seven days per week and often also volunteering for other work. WWII was the largest human effort in history.

Phil

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With the Pentagon controlling press releases like they did in WW II,i do not think the average American knew what the daily troop loses were. Iwo Jima is a prime example.

And it cost more to assemble a C-47 Gooney Bird than a P-51 Mustang or a P-47 Jug???????

Last edited by chapped_lips; 09/02/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
The P-38 didn't shine flying out of England. But in the Pacific the AAF wanted every one they could get

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 8th Air Force was told by the RAF that the P-38 was in their opinion, useless. Remember that the RAF had the DeHavilland Mosquito. That was tough competition for the P-38 at high altitude and maneuverability. Both aircraft are classics. But in different hemispheres.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/09/14.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
While I'm at it, there was another one, the P47 Thunderbolt. More chopped liver I guess.

Growing up in the 60s, my best friends father had been a WW 2 fighter pilot with experience in multiple different planes, both theaters.
His favorite plane, bar none was the P-47.
"Why" we asked ?

Two reasons, he answered.

#1 A thick sheet of steel armor right behind the pilots seat, thick enough to stop a 8mm machine gun bullet.

#2 The very heavy and powerful P-47 could out dive just about anything, giving the pilot a sure escape from a bad situation.

I agree with with assessment... I'm not sure how many P-47's were in the Pacific. I know the Mexican Air Force flew them in the Phillipines. Yes, the Mexican Air Force fought in WW2

Yes Mexico had a 25 plane P-47D squadron. They had no record of combat wins or losses. Twelve planes were lost to accidents.

Mexico and several South American nations only joined us when it was evident the NAZIs would lose.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
IIRC the Mexican AF were primarily for CAS and bombing Japanese in the Phillipines. The Army held out there until their Emperor ordered the surrender.

I have read that Mexican P-47s also did raids onto what is now Taiwan.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Brazilians also used P-47s over Italy, IIRC.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Brazil got in earlier than other SA countries. Had a Division of ground troops in Italy.

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/11/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The famous Brazilian Samba Squads. The Germans always knew when they faced the Brazilians due to the distinctive sound of the Brazilian Model 27 machine gun - boom chicka boom, chicka boom boom boom.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,088 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.