Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
What is the best bang-for-the-buck router that is readily available at FredgyMeyer or WalMart?

My girl kid needs to get one for her new apartment.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like NetGear........very easy to set up & trouble free; I've set up a half dozen or so.

Not sure Wal-Mart carries them though but BestBuy does; you can get the entry level for around $40 & it will work in an apartment.

MM

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
They don't have best buy.

Maybe they can wait a week. It's 4 college girls in the apt. and one ethernet line. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Likely there will be an electronics store in a college town and the girls should be able to set it up pretty easily.
I also like the Netgear line .

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ASUS are highly rated and pretty reasonable. Should be able to get them most places.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I got her in the apt on Sat. By this point I expect there is some urgency and online is not fast to AK.

I guess they could even go to Radio Shack.

As an aside, is there much practical difference between brands?

What are some specs the girls should consider?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I have one you can have. Yep Linksys Wireless G 2,4 GHZ Broadband Router

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If your going to get a router make sure it's an "N" router. Also make sure the modem is a Docsis 3 and capable of running the wifi speeds your getting. Docsis 2 modems are going to be end of life towards the end of this year.

I know this because I work for the biggest internet provider in the country and we are going to stop supporting certain modems and routers at years end.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mike- if your girl complains, tell her that where I am, they walk electrons up one at a time. At gunpoint.

I love going back to Soldotna!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Them electrons run up there. She has 15 down and 1 up.

At the HQ here it's 1 down and 0.3 up. lol....

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
As an aside, is there much practical difference between brands?

Between brands to the normal user such as college girls in an apartment there isn't a lot of difference. Devices of similar prices will have similar features. A $150 Linksys will be similar to a $150 ASUS. A $150 Linksys will not be similar to a $300 ASUS.

What are some specs the girls should consider?

I could really geek out on you here and go crazy technical on ya. I'm really going to try to spare you that headache! grin

Given that they will be living in an apartment, I'd look for a dual band router (both 2.5ghz and 5.0ghz). The reason is that routers, like walkie-talkie's, have channels. If you're running the same channel as your neighbor, your network speeds will be much much slower. Having a dual band router, in an apartment with several other tenants gives them options. Options are good.

I would also look for this number that will be plastered boldly on the box and in any description of the router: 802.11ac

802.11n routers are great for a number of things, but for an apartment, with several devices (laptop, cell phone, tablet, tv, dvd player, roku, etc) the advantages of the 802.11ac are real-world throughput of 400 to 500 megabits per second (mbps) at close range; that's twice the speed of the best 802.11n routers. Told ya I could get geeky...

If you like, there are some simple security configurations that I'd highly suggest. They aren't uber secure, but they certainly help. I'd turn off the SSID broadcast so that when anyone else looks for a network to connect to, her's won't show on the list. I'd also enable DHCP routing. What that means is that instead of giving each device it's own permanent IP address, the router has a range of IP's that it assigns to each device. She turns on her laptop in the morning and her IP address could be 10.0.0.7. In the evening it could be 10.0.0.18. Finally, I'd enable MAC filtering. Basically, think of the best bar/club in town. The bouncer has a list of names of people to let in. Nobody else gets in. Her router can do that with MAC filtering. You set it up with the MAC address of every device she owns. No other devices can connect. That way nobody else piggy backs on her network for free, or other nefarious deeds.

Granted, somebody will come along and tell you that the above stuff really doesn't do much for security because hackers can spoof your MAC address, sniff your SSID, and spoof your IP address thus bypassing all of that.

They'd be right. This won't keep out talented and determined hackers. It will keep out that nosey neighbor kid in apartment 3b....

If you'd like help setting it up, PM me. If you're a DIY kinda guy then there are a ton of video's out there on YouTube that will explain exactly how to do that with which ever Router she decides to get...

Hope that helps a bit, Mike. smile

Good luck and congratulations to your daughter on her new apartment!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for "not" getting into geek mode. crazy
sonofa....... wink

Anyone know what Mark just posted? smile

College girls on a scholarship budget don't want $150 routers, let alone $300 units. They will probably want to keep it under $50.

They just need to have access for all 4 girls.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh

I tried man, I tried....

The geek was really wanting to come out.....big time.... blush

For $50 they could probably find a $150 router on Craigslist, or better yet, her college Computer Science department. Often times they get rid of excess stuff for cheap.

HERE is a decent one for $80.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I know you tried and I appreciate the effort!

Did you see my eyes roll backwards for a few seconds? smile

Sometimes higher cost is the cheapest.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just hate to see their network crap out on them the night before that big paper is due...

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike-
I set my wife up with the Cisco 1200 version we found over at Wally's big store there in Farbanks last fall; it was a cheap way to go - and it still works ......even as I type this and send via said unit. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know what Mark just posted? smile

Yeah, good stuff. Some of it I even knew.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a good cheap one these work fine,
Netgear at Walmart

Has WPS, for one button setup. Has 4 ethernet ports to add a printer etc.

Not bleeding edge by any means, but in almost every wally world.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Netgear, Linksys/Cisco or maybe a SonicWALL if want to spend a bit more.

Stay away from Dlink.

You won't find much of a difference between them at that price range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.