Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Wife wants to go to Scotland and do the castle tourist thing...and neither of us know anything about Scotland. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My wife has family in Scotland and I have family in England. We have going to the UK about every 4 years since 1999.

In short go! You will have a wonderful time.

Edinburgh is a wonderful town with a very cool castle http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/ there a lot of cool things to do in Edinburgh. A real must do.

Another favorite is the Castle of Mey on the north shore www.castleofmey.org.uk this was one of the Queen Mother's residences and is newer but quite lovely. The queen mom was a very cool lady.

Hadrian's wall in the south of Scotland is well worth seeing as well. Especially the Roman Army Museum and Vindolanda
http://www.vindolanda.com/

Fort William, The Isle of Skye, Glencoe, Inverness, the Orkney Islands are all very cool too. The Orkney's have a very outstanding amount of neolithic history. They have a ring of standing stones The Ring of Brodgar http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/brodgar/ which is a park your car and walk up place. No fees, no line ups, no fences, no crowds.

How long are planning on being there?

Do you and your wife like to hike?

Are you going to rent a car and drive?

Is there any aspect of Scottish history you are interested in? There are some very cool castles in ruins or semi ruins which are really cool to see and in some cases are just a matter of park and walk up and explore.

Read up on your history of Scotland before you go. We have found that a relatively informed question politely phrased will get you into some very interesting paces. Several times we have been invited past the "private no admittance" chains because of such a question.

Do you like Scotch Whiskey?

Let me know what you are thinking and I will get a little less random in my comments. If I don't respond quickly enough to your responding post pleas feel free to PM me and put a boot up my backside.

Best regards
GRF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GRF

^This^

My wife & I went to Scotland & Ireland a few years ago, had a great time. Started out in the Borders region (Hadrians Wall), moved on to Edinburgh, then Stirling, Inverness, Culloden, Dornoch, etc till we ran out of time. We didn't rent a car, we bought Britrail passes and took the trains and buses.

http://www.britrail.net/passes

We made a list of places we wanted to see, took a Lonely Planet guidebook and headed off. Here are a few random thoughts:

Expect to be amazed, it is like no place I know of on this side of the Atlantic.

You don't need a tour, go on your own.

Travel light, we went two weeks on one bag each.

Figure on walking a lot, wear appropriate shoes.

People were very friendly and we almost speak the same language.

When in Edinburgh make sure to rub Greyfriars Bobby's head.

You must try Caledonian 80 shilling ale.

You must try haggis. You'll probably hate it, but you must try it.

You don't generally need reservations, there are B&B's everywhere. The exception would be during the really touristy times like Edinburgh's Festival in August.

If you go in summer, expect very long days, you are a lot further north than anywhere in the lower 48.

Expect to get rained on, expect it to be colder than NC.

Be ready to get off when the train stops (they don't stop for long).

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by GRF

^This^

+1 smile

Several years ago, a married couple I know took a "whisky tour" and saw much of Scotland that way. He liked Scotch, but she didn't drink at all -- BOTH had a great time.

Apparently there many companies which offer these tours, and some (all?) are subsidized by the distilleries because they want to get lifelong customers.

Well, apparently there were a number of non-drinkers on several of the tours and who just enjoyed the beautiful countryside, the friendly guides -- and all of it partially subsidized apparently.

I just fired up a search engine, and here are a couple of links.

Guided Tours (not just disilleries either)

and

Real whiskey tours
According to my non-drinker friend, this was still a really nice way to see much of Scotland!

Oh, and don't be afeared of the haggis -- I had some very good haggis when I was in Scotland! It was made by the guy who won the "best haggis in Scotland" competition that year. smile

On the other hand, I'd suggest staying away from the current pride of Scottish cuisine though (sorry kamo_gari!) -- the deep-fried Mars bar. :0

John

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Go, it is great.
Wife & I went a few years ago
Started a tour in Glasgow. Tour took us around the country and ended in Edinburg.
Castles, distilleries, Loch's, Balmoral.
We took a side trip on our own to Rosland Chapel.
It was a great tour of a beautiful country.
Nice people, good (interesting)food.
Oh yeah, some gun shops too.

Last edited by TBREW401; 09/06/14.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you go........

1 - don't argue with any of them, you wont win

2 - don't let any of them throw anything at you, it hurts like hell

My wife is from there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going on two years ago I went over and hunted in S/W Scotland with another campfire member from there. Didn't get to see as much of Scotland as I would have liked, but loved every minute of it.

Took a Roe deer & Stag and later on got to see a good part of England and other than the hunting probably my favorite part was touring some Castles in Wales.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and watch the news.... next week they are holding an election to vote on independence from the UK...

Poole

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Can't imagine going there & not doing at least a little hunting. World class bird hunting also Sika, Red, Roe, Fallow deer, rabbits, & waterfowl.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
All of Scotland is great. As others have mentioned, Edinburgh Castle is great. So is Stirling Castle, about 30 miles to the NW. I did a lot of hiking in the Rannoch Moor/Glencoe/Ft William area. Perth is also a nice small town.
I met my wife there(she was from LA). She was on the same guided hiking tour as me. She could hike 10-12 miles a day, up and down the hills, when it was cold and windy and rainy and still keep a sunny disposition...I had to marry her. I don't know why she married me...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to Stirling in 2009 and found my GGGgrandfathers headstone next to the castle in the Church of the Rood cemetery. I really want to get back there. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I love Edinburgh and stirling castle too. My mother in law is burried at the Stirling Castle grave yard. I remember several Canadians from a ww1 logging battalion are burried their too fromm about 1915 or so.
The independence party is npretty anti gun and anti hunting thought Scotts are world class poachers, go figure.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's what I suggest you do - (I spent many years traveling in Scotland - Wales and Ireland) Start in Glasgow, hire a car and and GPS.

Head for the A82 follow it towards Loch Lomond continue around towards Crainlairich - stay on the A82 towards Glencoe pass through Glencoe and head towards Fort William (this some of the finest scenery in the whole of Scotland)

You can either go off to Skye (if you have a spare day or two) once you leave Fort William (A87) or stay on A82 towards Inverness. Passing Loch Ness on your right stay over in Inverness and soak it all up - now you must decide if you want to continue Northwards to John o Grotes or go along the A96 via Elgin, Aberdeen and back towards Edinburgh.

Apart from the scenary, there is whiskey, salmon fishing, Golf and many other things to think about - plan your trip well and you will have a great time, if you are like me you will end up going back a number of times to try and see it all.

Give me a shout if you need any more help

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by UPhiker
All of Scotland is great. As others have mentioned, Edinburgh Castle is great. So is Stirling Castle, about 30 miles to the NW. I did a lot of hiking in the Rannoch Moor/Glencoe/Ft William area. Perth is also a nice small town.
I met my wife there(she was from LA). She was on the same guided hiking tour as me. She could hike 10-12 miles a day, up and down the hills, when it was cold and windy and rainy and still keep a sunny disposition...I had to marry her. I don't know why she married me...

Rannoch moor!!!

Memories

Thanks UPhiker

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely go, you won't regret it.

My suggestion is to decide what region you wish to tour and go from there. We spent nearly two weeks driving at our own pace, not hooked to a guided tour.

Edinburgh, Sterling, Dunvegan, Eilean Donan (the most photographed castle in Scotland), Blair, etc. are worth a visit.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Mac84: how much difficulty did you have adjusting to driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Not Mac84 but the driving on the left side of the road right side of the car was a pretty easy transition.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The company I worked for had an office in Aberdeen so I got to go over for a bit. Brought my wife with and we toured around for a bit. Rented a car (note: hard to find an automatic there) and tooled around. Favourite castle was Dunnotar. Fav small town was Pitlochery. Edradour distillery is close to there. Smallest in Scotland apparently. Good tour. We enjoyed Perth as well. Edinburgh was too touristy for us though.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bumped a few curves the first couple minutes but it was easy to catch on. Won't be an issue.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 30 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.