Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do modern 1911's feed hollow point ammunition reliably?

Have you found any particular brand to be problematic or perhaps ones that feed more reliably?

Or is this going to be a trail and error thing find the right ammo that feeds reliably? This could get very expensive trying to find the right self defense ammo.

A side question. 45acps are pretty slow. Is there enough velocity there to allow the hollow point to expand?

Thanks for your feedback!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes they do! And Speer GoldDots are hard to beat for the money!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Barnes 185gr TAC-XPD

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Most problems with a 1911 feeding a HP is in the A 1. It was specifitly designed for hard ball and feed ramp on some may need some work.. It is kind of a crap shoot some feed fine and some won't feed at all.
I have mine feeding empty cases.
I did buy a colt 1911 in 40 S&W. that wouldn't feed anything. I got it cheap and worked it over..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Well I bought the RIA 1911a1, so far it has eaten Blazer and plain old Remington 230 jhps. I got lucky i guess.

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
The only one that gave me problems was my Colt XSE commander.
That one would not even feed ball ammo reliably.Three trips to the Smith did not cure it so it went down the road at a major loss.Both my Kimbers will feed anything I've tried.I* prefer
XTP and Gold dots.

Last edited by iblong; 09/05/14.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
the short barrel ones can have feeing issues. I found Remington Golden Sabers feed fine in those though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Leo-

So far, this is the only good post here. But, there are other bullets that work well also.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by leomort
Do modern 1911's feed hollow point ammunition reliably?

Have you found any particular brand to be problematic or perhaps ones that feed more reliably?

Or is this going to be a trail and error thing find the right ammo that feeds reliably? This could get very expensive trying to find the right self defense ammo.

A side question. 45acps are pretty slow. Is there enough velocity there to allow the hollow point to expand?

Thanks for your feedback!
Some do - some don't.. Some that don't can be made to feed better with some magazine tweaks..

I've been lucky. All my Kimbers feed very well; I don't recall a misfeed at this time.. I have been using Hornday XTPs in all my .45s..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yes.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by viking
Well I bought the RIA 1911a1, so far it has eaten Blazer and plain old Remington 230 jhps. I got lucky i guess.

My Rocks have run very well with everything. They're a lot of pistol for the money.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Most problems with a 1911 feeding a HP is in the A 1. It was specifitly designed for hard ball and feed ramp on some may need some work.

Utter BS and responsible for more f'd up 1911s than any other hack.

Proper 1911 function with varying bullet profiles is based on magazine release timing.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Most problems with a 1911 feeding a HP is in the A 1. It was specifitly designed for hard ball and feed ramp on some may need some work.

Utter BS and responsible for more f'd up 1911s than any other hack.

Proper 1911 function with varying bullet profiles is based on magazine release timing.

Agree. But that is just some of the BS that has been said on this thread so far.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have so much time.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most modern 1911s (and a LOT of the older ones) feed and function with the current JHPs just fine.

That has a good bit to do with engineering on both sides (firearm and ammunition). The JHPs for .45ACP are designed to work at those velocities, and they work really well. The GoldDots, GoldenSabres, HSTs, SXTs, Xs, and the rest, including the cheaper "white box" Winchesters and similar, all do just fine.

Handle several, find the one that fits you best, buy it, fire several hundred rounds to break it in and get familiar with it, and carry on.

This schit is only as hard as you make it.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JHP, hard ball, truncated, or a hello kitty bullet tip have nothing to do with function. The key is cartridge length from base to ogive.

A break in of "several hundred rounds" is a personal choice, which trusts everything to chance, so knock yourself out. There are more efficient ways. I generally have things sorted out under 50 rounds.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, thus the comment about the engineering on both sides having to do with feeding reliability.

You might have one sorted out that fast. Others may as well. The OP sounds like he hasn't had one before. It might just take some more rounds to get as sorted out.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JOG
I only have so much time.

Ditto

Let's see how it goes.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4ager,

You are correct. I am a newbie to 1911s. I bought federal blue box 230g hp self-defense ammo just to see how it runs in my 1911.

My info has been from the web via google searches. The internet is great but also has drawbacks in that some myths, etc keep getting perpetuated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That stuff would be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 43 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.