Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If I have to choose just one, it would be PowerPistol......
MM

I love Power Pistol!! I need to stock up on it prior to discontinuation, which ALWAYS happens when I stumble on something that works for me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll also notice I haven't bothered posting anything else on this thread.................

You always were smarter than me.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, just more self restraint............... laugh

MM

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Think I seen load post awhile back about the 45acp using 255gr hard cast bullets but that springs would need to be swapped out.

Anyone got info on that particular load?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by leomort
Think I seen load post awhile back about the 45acp using 255gr hard cast bullets but that springs would need to be swapped out.

Leo-

Loading these heavies in the 45 ACP is a whole different ball game. You said you were new to reloading. I would stick to the "sweet spot" (185gr-230gr) in bullets right now.

For now..... Keep things simple.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gibby,

Most definitely keeping it simple for now. Starline brass and 230gr fmj-rn. smile I want to shoot 500-1,000 rounds of this first.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Depends on the velocity of the bullet whether or not springs will have to be swapped. I've made standard pressure 255's in .45 ACP with no spring changes several times.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You can also transition your gun to a 45 Super with relative ease if you roll your own loads.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Depends on the velocity of the bullet whether or not springs will have to be swapped. I've made standard pressure 255's in .45 ACP with no spring changes several times.

I did not know you hand loaded Kevin.

Yea, there is no need to modify the gun at using heavies at standard 45 ACP pressures. It is more bullet profile/choice and seating depth experimentation. Not for a beginner. But not rocket science though.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I haven't bought my dies yet for the 45acp. Any recommendations?

I have a single stage RCBS rock chucker supreme.

RCBS, Lee Deluxe, Redding, etc.?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are all Ok as long as you get the carbide sizer, but I'd suggest you buy a Lee Factory Crimp die also, if you buy something other than the Lee set that has it in it.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They make them nowadays with hollow points in mind, so yes. The most reliable hollow points in a .45 are going to be the 230 grainers, most particularly the Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot, and Golden Saber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

^^^This^^^

I've got a 250gr WFP Hard Cast bullet that I load for pig hunting that chrono's at 950 fps that I shoot in all my 1911's in 45acp. My guns are all running that load with the Factory recoil spring with no issues whatsoever.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are all Ok as long as you get the carbide sizer, but I'd suggest you buy a Lee Factory Crimp die also, if you buy something other than the Lee set that has it in it.

MM

THIS!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

MM

The Lee 4 die set will be the best value. It includes the Factory Crimp die.

If you get infected with the 45ACP/1911 bug, then later, I recommend buying a micro adjustable seating die. They are expensive, but worth it.

When you are trying various bullets, either by choice or availability, it is so much easier to tweak your favorite load for various guns. I have also found many times that the OAL listed in various reloading data to be not reliable. Some data is tested using a pressure receiver and does not account for magazine function. A tweak of .010" can make a difference. Sometimes as little as .003". You have a very good press that can take advantage of this die.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

I've got a 250gr WFP Hard Cast bullet that I load for pig hunting that chrono's at 950 fps that I shoot in all my 1911's in 45acp. My guns are all running that load with the Factory recoil spring with no issues whatsoever.

Higher pressure loads May requirement higher spring weight, heavier bullets at the same pressure do not.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
185 gr. Hornady XTP's work well in my Colt Commander. Some magazines work better than others; some trial runs with a variety will be beneficial.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll be picking up some Lee 45acp 4die set sometime this week!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by beefan
185 gr. Hornady XTP's work well in my Colt Commander. Some magazines work better than others; some trial runs with a variety will be beneficial.

In the Lightweight Commander, I have found the 185 grainer's work the best for me also. Both standard and at +P velocities. XTP's preferred. For factory, I like 185 +P's Golden Sabers.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yes they do! And Speer GoldDots are hard to beat for the money!
And harder to find than hensteeth in 230 grain weight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.