Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rifle: RRA w/ match trigger, Lilja 1-8 .223 Wylde barrel 22"

[Linked Image]

Load: 70 gr. VLD, 25.2 grs. Varget, 7 1/2 primers 2.260" MV 3,000 fps. 2 mil elevation

No crimp @ 400M

[Linked Image]

Crimp (lee factory crimp die) @ 400M

[Linked Image]

This isn't the only bullet that runs better with the crimp..
Take it FWIW.

Last edited by Rancho_Loco; 09/05/14. Reason: mils

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting....

Which other bullets are showing the same results?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
40 gr. Varmageddons over a max load of Xterminator.

On annealed brass, too.

70 gr, VLDs over 24.5 grs. looked better with crimp, but load needs more juice to see end results.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Do you have a runout gauge?

I"m wondering if the crimp eliminated some runout, or if it evened out the neck tension.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No run out gauge .. annealed brass.

Mixed headstamps.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mixed headstamps? Wow.
Clearly, the crimp is doing something at the start of the cycle that matters. If it works -- do it, I guess.
Was that crimp group with the same scope settings at the same target in the same conditions?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Only thing different was the bit of wind. 10x Superchicken Mil/Mil scope.

Headstamps are mostly PMC, WW, and RP for the 70 gr. VLD test.

Headstamps for the 40 gr. VG's are anything I can get my hands on, commercial and milsurp, .223 and 5.56.. (grin)

I had a .30-06 a few years ago that loved crimps on 168 gr. TSX's, ambivalent about them on all other loads.

I thought it was interesting that this tube seems to like crimps.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
P.S.. Crimp and no crimp loads shoot identical at 100 yds, so it might be fixing a bit of runout.

Brass is typically collet sized and loaded few times before annealing and FLS to repeat the process.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Considering how you're shooting a Lilja barrel and the crimp improves your groups size, you might benefit from an upgrade to some match dies.

The mixed headstamp isn't helping any either. Sometimes that will cause the duel groups like you are seeing in the first photo. Different neck thicknesses can lead to differing neck tension. The crimp could also be evening this out.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/06/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm a brass whore. I can't change who I am.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I'm a brass whore. I can't change who I am.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......so am I.

I just sort mine rifle brass by headstamp

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I sort by headstamp when accuracy matters. I'm a brass whore too, but I keep the various makes separate, so that when I load a batch, I know that at least the brass dimensions are similar. Can't imagine chasing accuracy with mixed headstamps, particularly at 400. It's fairly easy to have enough of each headstamp on hand to load up a few hundred of one or the other, and your chances of shot-to-shot variation go way down.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oh, on your crimp/no crimp question, I got a Lee crimper for my heavy 223 for s&g and it was a waste of time. My favored loads were ruined for accuracy, growing from half-inch to inch, when I attempted various crimps. Now I don't bother. Some guys swear by them, but I'm not one of them. I've heard that the crimp cleans up wider velocity spreads, but I did not see that either, or they were as tight as they were going to go.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I sort by headstamp when accuracy matters. I'm a brass whore too, but I keep the various makes separate, so that when I load a batch, I know that at least the brass dimensions are similar. Can't imagine chasing accuracy with mixed headstamps, particularly at 400. It's fairly easy to have enough of each headstamp on hand to load up a few hundred of one or the other, and your chances of shot-to-shot variation go way down.

Who said I was chasing accuracy?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Oh, on your crimp/no crimp question, I got a Lee crimper for my heavy 223 for s&g and it was a waste of time. My favored loads were ruined for accuracy, growing from half-inch to inch, when I attempted various crimps. Now I don't bother. Some guys swear by them, but I'm not one of them. I've heard that the crimp cleans up wider velocity spreads, but I did not see that either, or they were as tight as they were going to go.

I see your sample of one defeats mine..

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No offense intended. I know you know your schit. You were shooting at 400. You have a gun with a target barrel. Pretty obvious you want to hit stuff smaller than a basketball. I was just commenting on the way I do things, and how I use my whore'd brass.

If your crimper works for you, then use it. Just offering my experience. No defeat involved. I tend to agree with Antelope sniper that your results may have had more to do with standardizing across different neck thicknesses than with any particular merits of the crimper. If you are getting the results you want, please, by all means, continue.

I notice at around 300yds that various headstamps start to shoot to different places. I get around that by not mixing them, as I like to shoot my 223 past 300, and at tiny targets. I use same load and settings, but it is obvious that some brass generates more pressure. I tried dropping charges slightly with heavier brass, but it all got to be a records-keeping exercise rather than a loading/shooting exercise, so I just keep them in separate boxes, and verify impact when I shoot a different headstamp. Works for me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was just playing around.. This barrel is ridiculously accurate. So I decided to start doing things you're not supposed to do.

I'll be buying some new brass soon, and I'll run that load out of the box, fire formed w/ collet sizing, and crimps/no crimps for chits and giggles.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I was just playing around.. This barrel is ridiculously accurate. So I decided to start doing things you're not supposed to do.

I'll be buying some new brass soon, and I'll run that load out of the box, fire formed w/ collet sizing, and crimps/no crimps for chits and giggles.

That should be fun!!

I look forward to your report.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
LC is good brass, and the price is right! I do have some fancy Lapua brass loaded up, but I never seem to get around to shooting those. I haven't scrounged many cases that are just crap. For that reason, I think the 223 is the ideal to build a target/varmint rifle. Sweet rig you have there btw, Loco.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Snooping around the site and catching up a little today while I'm waiting for my PC to process some stuff and came across this thread.

I've found that 77gr SMKs actually shot better with a bit of crimp when using TAC. I have no idea why, but it sure worked for me and some other guys that were using that combo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 681 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.