Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Hello,
No big deal.... In my job I learn everyday and I just got my license.... So I'm not anymore a greenhorn but not yet an expert.... But I know really a lot in firearms....

Hm i think this thread turn "hot" cause some here, are just bashers..... They think they are expert cause they post thousands...... But sorry an expert speaks few... I'm not claiming I'm an expert.......but Claim that SAKO rifle are p... Of c.... Is as ridiculous as saying bears are nice teddies...... Again i have nothing against south redneck some of my friend are from and they are very good buddies.... But I have trouble with narrow minded, stubborn people.

Wish you to relax look at LRcampos fix and send the bill to beretta or contact SAKO in Finn

Last edited by UAE; 09/12/14.
BP-B6

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I spent some time talking to the Beretta USA goobs at the 2008 NRA Convention, and left thinking they were the most arrogant azzholes on the planet, who were clueless besides.

So far, I've seen nothing to change my mind, either, and I'm pretty open-minded about such things.

Beretta USA has a horrible rep for CS, and from what I can gather, always has had that rep.

I'll never own a Sako sold by them, period. One of the older ones, sure, I'd jump all over one, but not one of them sold by those clowns.
It seems to be a Beretta USA thing, they have a marvelous rep in other parts of the world, but they don't seem to "get" the US market worth a damn.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem

So according to Beretta it isn't a design fault or a parts fault or an assembly fault. It is the shooter's fault for mounting a scope with turrets. I'm accustomed to people lying but it really grinds my gut when they know it's a lie and know that I know it's a lie but ask me to believe it anyway. Not sure of the next step. Have other issues ongoing that require my attention. Bad time to deal with crap like that. I'm steaming.

Sounds like a design or assembly or other manufacturing problem to me.

For service, I still think Ruger is the one to beat.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
What you say about beretta USA is 200% right..... I met them at the shot show....

You'right too about Europe. I know some beretta people in Europe and they are just the opposite of USA...

I know beretta executive management (CEO) in usa is an ex-black and decker..... I told to the sales executive manager he was selling sako rifle as hardware.... I said that to him before to learn he was an ex- black and decker boy too..... It's look like same story than when Leupold recruited a CEO from apparel business.... 10 years of s......

Now I met sako people too and they are just great pro with a real knowledge....claim Sako 85 is a design flaw.. Is just stupid & excessive ..... Maybe a spring is weak sometimes and need to be replaced.... It's like claim ruger are not accurate or glock not reliable......

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
UAE you really don't know what you're talking about. This is not just one person having a problem with a Sako. So far you got the good ones. Keep buying 85M Sakos and you'll get a few that eject the brass into the bottom of your scope. No doubt about it. The extractor/ejector design is flawed. When the extractor hooks the cartridge case rim it does so with the whole surface of the extractor hook. But when the ejector hits the bottom of the cartridge case head, the case rotates upward and the extractor hook then is in contact with the case rim only with the bottom of the hook. The extractor does not rotate with the cartridge case when the ejector forces the case to point upward. With the extractor hook contacting the case rim with only the lower edge point there are bound to be problems. Without sufficient spring pressure to force this lower point of the extractor hook into the surface of the case rim and keep it there the case will eject upward more so than outward. That is what causes the cartridge cases to hit the scope tube. So far in your posts you're only running your big mouth about "rednecks" and "southerners" that are either stupid, ignorant or both along with bathing in your all perfect knowledge that Sakos always work. Fact is you have pretty much cornered the market on stupid and ignorant on this thread. Do yourself a favor and start your own thread talking about something you actually understand. Good luck with your Sakos but know the 85 has a REAL and not imagined problem. And have a truly blessed day.

Last edited by shootem; 09/13/14. Reason: excess criticism

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well said Shootem. What UAE seems to forget is that the Sako 85 is a PREMIUM product (price wise anyway). And one does not expect these sort of problems from a manufacturer like Sako.

I have always liked Sakos - but there is no way I will buy another 85. I sold mine and bought a Tikka T3!

Maybe a new action from Sako is already in the pipeline....... And hopefully this time it's right.

Last edited by mlg; 09/12/14.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had the same problem with a a 85 grey wolf in .30-06, Leupold low rings, Leupold vx3-3.5-10x40 mm. This was a couple years ago. My Spent brass would hit bottom of scope and fall back in. Yes the bottom of my scope had brass marks on it! My gun shop sent that rifle back in, sako sent another brand new rifle and it did the same thing this time in sako low rings. The swap out took about a month. Sakos fix for me was to put my 40 mm scope in the high or extra high rings. My local gun shop got sako to refund me my money. Seems its pretty jormal for the long action sakos, from what i found on the net. I was pizzed they wanted me to buy another set of rings and mount that dam scope like that, bunch of azz clowns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What is the measured height from the firing pin at the chamber to the tube center of the scope?

Have you the skill to remove the extractor, spring and plunger?

Did you clean, inspect and lube these parts?

Did you prove or disprove your extractor claw was within spec having no defects at the claw?

Did you prove or disprove the spring was weak, or there was a defect such as machining burr or excessive old assembly lube causing the parts to be sluggish and hang?

If you determined the spring was insufficient, did you attempt to replace it with a stronger Gre-Tan?

So far, those who have experienced a perceived high ejection, and have taken those steps, have either completely corrected such ejection or have made marked improvements so that rifle is reliable. Worst case scenario for those, would be under hard forced ejection, one may see damage to case neck from hitting turret outside of chamber, but casing would eject. For those reloading, don't hard eject while shooting groups and save that for follow up shots while hunting.

Otherwise, as stated earlier, mine has a measured height of 1.55" and it properly clears. Again, mine was disassembled, cleaned, inspected and lubed. I did find the spring tension to be correct, in fact it was text book correct for the function of the claw extractor. If it were not correct out of the box, I see no reason why it could not be corrected. If you like the rifle in all aspects, except for you are experiencing straight up ejection, which is without a doubt, way out of spec. Then I would suggest getting it fixed and live happily with your rifle. I would care less about Beretta USA, as everything discussed so far as a correction can be done for little to no money spent. If you do not care about the rifle, and you just care to vent, then so be it, but at least make an effort for a correction. The time you've spent typing, you could have removed the parts and determined what is off to cause a straight up ejection. For that matter, you may even be experiencing too low an ejection with the case bouncing off the rail causing it to go straight up.

You can search videos and find scores upon scores of functioning M size action 85s chambered in long action having zero function issues. The few having issues are spotty at best, and often are the same few being retold. The vast overwhelming majority run well. You can search any production rifle for ejection issues and find complaints on every single last one. If it doesn't work for you, then get something else. If it does work for you and you'd like to work through your kink, then put some effort in that direction and less time spinning wheels to create smoke and noise.

A Winchester M70EW has a manufacturer price of $1200 vs. a Sako Finnlight having a manufacturer price of $1500. If the Sako better fits you and it works, it may very well be worth the additional $300, especially if you need to put work and parts into the factory Winchester. But, if it doesn't work for you, then there are many other options, just like boots and backpacks.

I've come to the conclusion that you are not trying to work through any kinks to vet your rifle, but you are merely venting because you've run into something you either did not expect, or you have some sort of opinion that a Sako rifle does not need to be vetted and that you should be able to run non-Sako parts to save money and not run into a hitch. You further expect an importer to fall to their knees and agree with you in writing over your complaints of a second hand used rifle. I'd forget them, and take the matter in your hands and attempt the corrections that have shown success. Very simple, few dollars spent. If they do not work for you, then the only avenue in which you are sort of screwed, is you bought a used rifle that is previously transferred. If you had purchased the rifle new, likely you could have had your money refunded and walked away.

Several are attempting to help you out, while others are just bitching a moaning. I may have a need to be in North Carolina next month. I will know shortly. If so, I can offer to bring my own tools and some spare springs, along with solvents and lube. Maybe we can coordinate a meet and we can make a valid attempt to identify the problem and make a correction. However, I do not have any spare extractors at this time, so if that is the issue, I would not have that part on hand to replace.

I'll send you a PM by mid-next week and let you know if I will be in your state. You can then decide if you're interested.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had in mind the Sako 85 giving reliable ejection within the specs above.

It reliably ejects the shells now.

You're complaining abour WHERE it ejects them.

It's not a problem with the rifle

It's operator error

Tilt the gun to the side when you work the bolt

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Snyper
I had in mind the Sako 85 giving reliable ejection within the specs above.

It reliably ejects the shells now.

You're complaining abour WHERE it ejects them.

It's not a problem with the rifle

It's operator error

Tilt the gun to the side when you work the bolt

LOL. That'd be true. All goes back to that stupid decision to put a scope on the dang thing.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GaryVA

What is the measured height from the firing pin at the chamber to the tube center of the scope?

Have you the skill to remove the extractor, spring and plunger?

Did you clean, inspect and lube these parts?

Did you prove or disprove your extractor claw was within spec having no defects at the claw?

Did you prove or disprove the spring was weak, or there was a defect such as machining burr or excessive old assembly lube causing the parts to be sluggish and hang?

If you determined the spring was insufficient, did you attempt to replace it with a stronger Gre-Tan?

So far, those who have experienced a perceived high ejection, and have taken those steps, have either completely corrected such ejection or have made marked improvements so that rifle is reliable. Worst case scenario for those, would be under hard forced ejection, one may see damage to case neck from hitting turret outside of chamber, but casing would eject. For those reloading, don't hard eject while shooting groups and save that for follow up shots while hunting.

Otherwise, as stated earlier, mine has a measured height of 1.55" and it properly clears. Again, mine was disassembled, cleaned, inspected and lubed. I did find the spring tension to be correct, in fact it was text book correct for the function of the claw extractor. If it were not correct out of the box, I see no reason why it could not be corrected. If you like the rifle in all aspects, except for you are experiencing straight up ejection, which is without a doubt, way out of spec. Then I would suggest getting it fixed and live happily with your rifle. I would care less about Beretta USA, as everything discussed so far as a correction can be done for little to no money spent. If you do not care about the rifle, and you just care to vent, then so be it, but at least make an effort for a correction. The time you've spent typing, you could have removed the parts and determined what is off to cause a straight up ejection. For that matter, you may even be experiencing too low an ejection with the case bouncing off the rail causing it to go straight up.

You can search videos and find scores upon scores of functioning M size action 85s chambered in long action having zero function issues. The few having issues are spotty at best, and often are the same few being retold. The vast overwhelming majority run well. You can search any production rifle for ejection issues and find complaints on every single last one. If it doesn't work for you, then get something else. If it does work for you and you'd like to work through your kink, then put some effort in that direction and less time spinning wheels to create smoke and noise.

A Winchester M70EW has a manufacturer price of $1200 vs. a Sako Finnlight having a manufacturer price of $1500. If the Sako better fits you and it works, it may very well be worth the additional $300, especially if you need to put work and parts into the factory Winchester. But, if it doesn't work for you, then there are many other options, just like boots and backpacks.

I've come to the conclusion that you are not trying to work through any kinks to vet your rifle, but you are merely venting because you've run into something you either did not expect, or you have some sort of opinion that a Sako rifle does not need to be vetted and that you should be able to run non-Sako parts to save money and not run into a hitch. You further expect an importer to fall to their knees and agree with you in writing over your complaints of a second hand used rifle. I'd forget them, and take the matter in your hands and attempt the corrections that have shown success. Very simple, few dollars spent. If they do not work for you, then the only avenue in which you are sort of screwed, is you bought a used rifle that is previously transferred. If you had purchased the rifle new, likely you could have had your money refunded and walked away.

Several are attempting to help you out, while others are just bitching a moaning. I may have a need to be in North Carolina next month. I will know shortly. If so, I can offer to bring my own tools and some spare springs, along with solvents and lube. Maybe we can coordinate a meet and we can make a valid attempt to identify the problem and make a correction. However, I do not have any spare extractors at this time, so if that is the issue, I would not have that part on hand to replace.

I'll send you a PM by mid-next week and let you know if I will be in your state. You can then decide if you're interested.

Best smile

So tell me again, who is it venting?? Sounds like you have some hurt feelings over Sako's design fault being outed.

First of all this is not a second hand used rifle. I bought it new in the box. It is still unfired. And I made note of this previously.

I disassembled the bolt early on and the interior is clean.
The extractor is smooth moving and there is smooth movement of the extractor plunger.

I don't really care what the height from the firing pin hole to the center of the scope tube is. That's a totally irrelevant number. The scope is mounted in medium height Leupold rings using the integral bases and the objective clears the barrel easily. The Zeiss HD5 scope has standard Hunter Turrets. I removed the scope today and as I knew already the brass is not hitting the turrets. It's hitting the turret housing and leaving brass marks. Now really, name for me another production bolt action rifle that has consistent problems over multiple rifles and multiple users, failing to eject brass with such a simple setup.................waiting.

As far as "running non Sako parts to save money" I have no idea what you're talking about and doubt seriously that you do. The only non Sako parts on the rifle are the sling swivels, sling, scope and rings. None of these items, including the rings, are causing the ejection problems. Plain vanilla set up. And the reason for using Leupold rings instead of Sako is bulk and weight, same reason I put them on a Ruger 77. Amazingly the Ruger still ejects empty brass correctly, every time.

I could take the remainder of your comments and questions and filet them as well but it would not change the most importand facts. And those facts are:
1)Sako has a design flaw in the 85M
2)Sako/Beretta refuses to admit it:
Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako 85 rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Occasionally?? Scope mounts?? How rigorously bolt is operated???(If it's operated "rigorously" enough to rattle the case around in the ejection port I believe that qualifies.)
3)Sako/Beretta lay the problem on the buyer:
Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner�s responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle."

A reputable rifle manufacturer would not make such statements. Designing your rifle to function with a 1" scope tube, medium rings and standard turrets should be a given.
4)Sako/Beretta reject your and others' claim of a spring fix:
Regarding your specific inquiry, there is no "fix" for this condition as the ejector is not adjustable in this rifle. The comments that you have read regarding "extractor spring pressure" are not valid. The spring pressure does not affect the ejection trajectory of the casing. The bottom line is if the rifle extracts and ejects the casing, it is considered functional.

They just called you and several others liars. According to them ya'll not only don't know what you're talking about, you lied to make it seem you did. They're wrong of course, but the stronger spring just makes the system do something it doesn't want to do; eject the case outward. More later.
5)Sako/Beretta follow up this complete denial of liability and responsibility by suggesting further unwarranted, illogical, inappropriate and irrelevant actions be taken by the consumer:
Our suggestion would be to experiment with different scope mounts and/or type of scope to determine what will work best on your rifle.

Yeah right. Never mind what I'm using is about as average as a C grade in high school. I have 8 or 9 more sets sitting around, guess I'll just have to go thru them all a few times to discover that doesn't work either.
6)It is not the responsibility of the consumer to make this product function properly with normal and anticipated optical components. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Sako/Beretta failed. That is not my fault.
7)What I feel to be the both the most important and the most disturbing fact is this. Sako/Beretta continue to market and sell a product they well know has a hard fault.

This afternoon I spent quite a bit of time with the rifle. What I found totally supports the explanation of the problem I gave a couple of posts back. The design can be made to work as is evidenced by both the lack of OBVIOUS problems in some and by the home repair of others. However the design works with great resistance and will not do so at all in some cases.

As far as your offer of assistance goes I appreciate the gesture but I now understand how the system is intended to work and why it does not. I don't know yet if I am willing to make the rifle work. To send it back to Sako/Beretta Customer Service would be an exercise in futility. Might as well argue with a Democrat about high taxes with an equal chance of success. But to let them off the hook is wrong. I loathe companies that refuse to accept responsibility for obvious errors. And there is no doubt about this being an obvious error in design. Tired of this issue for now but later I'll post other observations I made today and what I learned from them. Although I had one momentary surprise, what I learned only supported what I already knew. Once you get down close and work with it back and forth, up and down, inside and out the quirks become obvious. Every time it works, it almost didn't.

G'night all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Best smile

So tell me again, who is it venting?? Sounds like you have some hurt feelings over Sako's design fault being outed.

First of all this is not a second hand used rifle. I bought it new in the box. It is still unfired. And I made note of this previously.

G'night all.

Your memory is short. YOU wrote me asking for my help on this particular rifle, because you were unable to detail strip the bolt and you were unable to deduce the cause of your issue. This was not "early on" back in the beginning, but was recent. If you would take a step back and take a deep breath, I�d suggest you re-read my replies to you, as I did not belittle you and I was not argumentative. I was merely responding in an attempt to help you out.

To refresh your memory:

#9137919 (08/29) - You were unable to detail strip the bolt and could not figure out your problem, so you wrote me for help.

#9140244 (08/30) - I replied giving instruction on how to detail strip the bolt and to test for proper tension and to identify a defect in either the spring or the extractor.

#9157769 (09/06) - I noticed you continued your complaint over onto a new thread, so I wrote a follow up to ask if you were able to follow the instructions and detail strip the bolt to identify the problem. I asked if you tried the Gre-Tan, and gave you both gunsmith and non-gunsmith options to make a correction.

#9164421 (09/09) - You replied that you were too busy with pressing issues involving illness of a family member, and that time was not available to take it apart to inspect.

#9164477 (09/09) - I wrote back to express my sympathy, and I gave you encouragement to make the effort to detail strip the bolt, inspect and deduce the defect, and to make a correction, once the smoke cleared with the pressing medical issues.

#9173967 (09/12) - You had yet to make an effort to detail strip the bolt, inspect, deduce, and attempt any of the corrections, yet you were still complaining.

#9175407 (09/13) - I felt sorry for you because of your family illness, and decided that I would fix the rifle for you and show you how it was done, being you were unable to do so. So I had reason to ask those questions to know exactly what you had done at that point, and to know what pieces and parts I�d need to bring. As example, I asked about a measured scope height in relation to mine, to determine if your scope was actually mounted lower. If your mounts were lower, I would bring a scope pre-mounted in optilock ringmounts to test. The only part I could not cover was a spare extractor, if it was determined yours was bad.

So it is now mid-week, and as promised, I came back to see if you answered the questions, and I read your above diatribe????

Well, all I have to say, You are quite a character, who is weaving quite a web of conflicting claims.

For the record, in the event you place the rifle for sale in the classifieds. You did not purchase this rifle new and you are not the original owner. An ATF trace will prove such, as this rifle appears sold two or three times over, with your purchase being made from a previous owner. If you had indeed purchased the rifle new and you were the original transferee, you�d likely be eligible for a refund.

I am sorry you mistook my attempts to assist you negatively, and I do wish your ill relative well.

Best of Luck smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 09/17/14.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Best smile

G'night all.

Your memory is short. YOU wrote me asking for my help on this particular rifle, because you were unable to detail strip the bolt and you were unable to deduce the cause of your issue. This was not "early on" back in the beginning, but was recent. If you would take a step back and take a deep breath, I�d suggest you re-read my replies to you, as I did not belittle you and I was not argumentative. I was merely responding in an attempt to help you out.

To refresh your memory:

#9137919 (08/29) - You were unable to detail strip the bolt and could not figure out your problem, so you wrote me for help.

#9140244 (08/30) - I replied giving instruction on how to detail strip the bolt and to test for proper tension and to identify a defect in either the spring or the extractor.

#9157769 (09/06) - I noticed you continued your complaint over onto a new thread, so I wrote a follow up to ask if you were able to follow the instructions and detail strip the bolt to identify the problem. I asked if you tried the Gre-Tan, and gave you both gunsmith and non-gunsmith options to make a correction.

#9164421 (09/09) - You replied that you were too busy with pressing issues involving illness of a family member, and that time was not available to take it apart to inspect.

#9164477 (09/09) - I wrote back to express my sympathy, and I gave you encouragement to make the effort to detail strip the bolt, inspect and deduce the defect, and to make a correction, once the smoke cleared with the pressing medical issues.

#9173967 (09/12) You had yet to make an effort to detail strip the bolt, inspect, deduce, and attempt any of the corrections, yet you were still complaining. I felt sorry for you because of your family illness, and decided that I would fix the rifle for you and show you how it was done, being you were unable to do so. So I had reason to ask those questions to know exactly what you had done at that point, and to know what pieces and parts I�d need to bring. As example, I asked about a measured scope height in relation to mine, to determine if your scope was actually mounted lower. If your mounts were lower, I would bring a scope pre-mounted in optilock ringmounts to test. The only part I could not cover was a spare extractor, if it was determined yours was bad.

So it is now mid-week, and as promised, I came back to see if you answered the questions, and I read your above diatribe????

Well, all I have to say, You are quite a character, who is weaving quite a web of conflicting claims.

For the record, in the event you place the rifle for sale in the classifieds. You did not purchase this rifle new and you are not the original owner. An ATF trace will prove such, as this rifle appears sold two or three times over, with your purchase being made from a previous owner. If you had indeed purchased the rifle new and you were the original transferee, you�d likely be eligible for a refund.

I am sorry you mistook my attempts to assist you negatively, and I do wish your ill relative well.

Best of Luck smile

OH BOY, THAT is the best get [bleep] I have ever seen!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
T I K K A...

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just back here briefly to clarify my earlier comments. This will be much more brief than I first intended. As others with this problem seem to be, I'm just getting really tired of the rifle and dealing with Beretta/Sako.

First of all the ejector/ejector design. As we all know the extractor serves not only to pull a cartridge case from the chamber but also to hold the case in position for the ejector to do it's work. One doesn't work well without the other. I looked at bolt rifles in my safe to get a direct comparison to the 6 o'clock positioning of the Sako blade and it's 10 o'clock position of the extractor. The following are the clock face positions of Extractor/Ejector in some other rifles:

A-Bolt.... 10/4
Rem Mod 7...9/4
Ruger 77 (pushfeed)...8 to 10/5 (extractor covers a lot of case rim)
Mk X mauser...8 to 10/3
Sako...10/6

All ejector positions have one thing in common except for the Sako. Each is positioned to push a cartridge case OUTWARD thru the ejection port except the Sako which is designed to push the case UPWARD. The first example of a firearm I could think of that uses this ejector position is the Winchester lever action. With the Model 94 and others Winchester proved this would work as designed to push the case in an upward motion. Sako has confirmed this finding. Even though the push feed Ruger uses a low 5 o'clock ejector position, direction of travel is still outward partially because it at least pushes somewhat in an outward direction and also because of the huge extractor blade that is arced to follow the curve of the groove and, at least on my rifle, holds the case rim against the bolt face pretty well until the case flips outward.

The extractor positon is consistent in all the rifles I checked, beint in the 8 to 10 o'clock range. And all seem to work very well in holding the case in position for ejection except the Sako 85M when the case neck bumps the bottom of a scope tube or turrets.

With my Sako in a maintenance cradle I pulled the scope to check direction of ejection without interference fully expecting the empty case to fly straight up in the air. It didn't. Instead it was ejected to the rear and outward. Interesting. Tried it a half dozen times or so with the same result. Placed the scope back on the bottom rings and the case hit the tube and bounced back down. Long story short, the case is made to eject upward. If there is no obstacle (scope) above it, the neck of the case simply arcs upward and backward and exits the ejection port. By holding a finger at the scope tube position while ejecting I was able to see what was happening. When the case is pushed upward the extractor holds the rim by the lower point of the extractor blade ONLY. If there is no scope in the way all works well. However if the scope is bumped by the case neck, the ejector loses it's small grip on the case rim and the case simply drops off the bottom of the bolt face.

That being said and being true, it seems that additional pressure on the extractor hook/case rim connection seems to prevent this ejection of the case head downward. By holding pressure against the extractor and pushing it inward toward the case, then allowing the case neck to strike the scope tube, the case neck seems to be able to roll off the obstruction and out the ejection. However, the case still stands upward and strikes the scope which is unacceptable. Hence my earlier comment that "every time it works it almost didn't".

Most likely this rifle can be made to work by replacing the extractor spring with a stronger one as several have suggested, even though Beretta CS says this isn't a fix because there's no problem. There may be an issue with the extractor hook itself, but I have no other to compare. I will be contacting Sako directly and speaking by phone with Beretta to see if I can get this issue resolved. By resolved I mean I want the money back I paid for the rifle. If that fails I will file a Consumer Complaint.

In he meanwhile if someone wants to do the spring fix it's all yours. Send me $1250 and an FFL copy and it'll be out the door to you with my best wishes. Still unfired with paperwork and original box. And it's headed to the Classifieds now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by UAE
Guys....I'm leaving for hunting...I mean real man hunting for men with big sticks...

Do I see a rainbow flag in the background?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
It was ironical..... But as a good [bleep]..... You think quickly weird.... If you are rainbow.... A long action action 85 jamming would please you.....

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Shootem....

1) when I use redneck term as I explained before it's not to speak about people from southerner or farmer..... I use for people like you with a narrow mind a very high opinion of themselves and with erection trouble and getting older who make them what you're an old assh.....

2) you're typically a retired guy with no real occupation... With not anymore clients or subaltern to [bleep] or screw up.... Moreover you have erection trouble or ejection I have no time to figure out..... But anyway you're so bored in your life than now you focus on one problem which is not one in fact..... It's your only daily occupation...

3) you seem have a great opinion about your knowledge... And your past career..... Me I'm a poor Alaskan redneck for three years now....

4) unfortunately I'm 36 years young not old..... No ejection/erection trouble with all my sako 85 and I'm busy.... So I'm a happy man....

5) unfortunately for you the alaskan redneck who cooks salmon has a university degree of machining engineering, a bachelor of sales and merchandising and yes its not yet finish a Master of business ! So I'n not more stupid than the average joe.......I have been in sales business for years before to become an Alaskan redneck....

6) yes I have more knowledge than you cause quite few of my friends run famous
firearms brand or distribute american brand in Europe.... I have been for over 20 years among real firearms designer, builder or manufacturer every weeks.. Sorry for you......But I have a better overview than you....

7) you are so stubborn than you don't listen anybodies here..... Your [bleep] arguments and opinion are relayed by only 2 or 3 assh... Like you here.... Are you feeling better ?! In fact the FACT is there are thousands sako 85 users who have no one problem or complain and enjoy there sako..... Thousands is more than 2 or 3 forum experts.....

8) I use my firearms on regular basis at least carry them in the field daily....
so yes.... I think I have more feedback than you....

9) you say sako 85 action is a design flaw.... The design flaw is in your head.... Maybe your rifle has an ejection trouble but you have at least two or three way to fix it.... But you don't want try them....

So sell your sako 85 for 1$ if your not happy... Someone could fix is problem for 10 dollars Or as I already told you sit your dirty ass... On the bolt.... The pain will be as good as your crisis.... By the way rainbow guys.... Have this kind of hysterical crisis....

10) even if i have not a great opinion of beretta people in USA, now I definitely agree with them....

11) your knowledge is so wide than you don't even knows about talley scope rifle mount or the sako optilock rings (not the one witH the bulky base) Sako Optilock Blue 75/85 30mm X-Low Rings S1701904

Anyway I lost enough time in this sterile thread....

Last edited by UAE; 10/05/14.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.