Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't have the actual message I left for customer service but it was related to the same issue many here are experiencing. My Sako is a Finnlight in 30-06. Fired cases eject straight up into the bottom of the scope whether I run the bolt fast, slow or in between. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest HD5 1" tube in Leupold Medium rings. Cases strike the scope and either fall back down on the follower or rattle around and manage to roll off the action.

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Beretta's Service Position on this issue is shown below:

"Occasionally, we receive customer complaints regarding Sako 85 rifles ejecting spent cases that either strike the scope or strike the scope turret and fall back inside the action of the rifle. This situation is predominately caused by both the scope mounts and type of scope (particularly scopes with extended turrets) installed on the rifle. A secondary consideration is how rigorously the bolt is operated by the user.

Beretta will not consider rifles that exhibit the condition above to be a warranty issue. Provided that the rifle fully extracts and ejects the spent casing, the rifle will be considered functional and serviceable. Sako cannot anticipate every possible scope mounting configuration when designing their rifles. Since the selection and installation of the scope and mounts are determined by the owner, it is the owner�s responsibility to ensure that the system will not interfere with the operation of the rifle."

Regarding your specific inquiry, there is no "fix" for this condition as the ejector is not adjustable in this rifle. The comments that you have read regarding "extractor spring pressure" are not valid. The spring pressure does not affect the ejection trajectory of the casing. The bottom line is if the rifle extracts and ejects the casing, it is considered functional.

Finally, in spite of the Internet chatter, a review of the service history for the Sako 85 rifle over the past 24 months indicates that a fraction of a percent of the rifles sold are returned for service for this issue.

Our suggestion would be to experiment with different scope mounts and/or type of scope to determine what will work best on your rifle.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

HOW DID WE DO? Take our one minute survey.

And yes, I took the survey. At the bottom there was a box for comments and I filled it.

This is refusing to take responsibility for a defective product. I will not stop here. I promise you that. To say this is not a known and obvious problem is an outright falsehood. The cartridge ejection system on the Sako 85 long action is faulty. When a cartridge case is ejected straight up with a modern bolt action at slow speed, moderate and fast speed it is not the fault of the rifle scope or mounts. Ejecting straight up the case will strike the scope no matter the tube diameter or ring height. I am extremely dissatisfied with your response. To respond in this manner is insulting. You are already getting extremely bad advertising because of your refusal to provide a remedy for this issue. I can assure you I will do my part to extend this service. Good day.

So according to Beretta it isn't a design fault or a parts fault or an assembly fault. It is the shooter's fault for mounting a scope with turrets. I'm accustomed to people lying but it really grinds my gut when they know it's a lie and know that I know it's a lie but ask me to believe it anyway. Not sure of the next step. Have other issues ongoing that require my attention. Bad time to deal with crap like that. I'm steaming.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
And my reply to the email itself:

That's just plain BS. Either the design, parts, or assembly are faulty. I'm running a Zeiss 1" diameter tube with standard turrets in Leupold Medium height rings. You just don't get more plain vanilla than that. The cartridge cases eject STRAIGHT UP. It wouldn't matter if I was using a 30mm tube with target turrets. Nor would it matter the ring height. If the cases eject straight up they cannot clear the scope. And the rifle is meant for scope mounting because it has internal bases and no open sights. You can give me all the company position responses you like but that does not change the facts.

I am retired from over 25 years of sales and/or service of capital medical equipment. I am very familiar with design issues and customer service. Fortunately for you the FDA does not get involved with firearms. I say all this to let you know I'm familiar with how product issues can arise and how they are handled. On this issue you have your corporate head in the sand. At this point I am not sure of my next step. But I assure you there will be a next step. There are agencies that complaints on product defects such as this can be directed to. I am not at all happy with your response.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's a Sako

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a couple of zero problem Sakos, but they're the old school ones.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Maybe get open sights installed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's Beretta. I sent a Sako 75 to them because it wouldn't chamber factory ammo. When it came back someone had clamped the receiver in a vice without any padding and allowed it to even slip. It was horribly scratched. Beretta refused to take the blame and claimed the bolt had come loose in shipping and marked the receiver. Tough bolt because there wasn't a single mark on it.

The gun was new and my dealer had sent it in for me. He refunded my money. If it had not been for him I would have been screwed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta has not done Burris any favors either.

405wcf

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Tikka for the win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the CS boys at Forbes got their training at Beretta..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Maybe get open sights installed.

Or get it drilled and tapped for one of those sidemounts for a Winchester M94.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow. They basically told you to go F$%^ yourself, the rifle is fine. Great example of how NOT to do CS.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is what happens when you support the French.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just another reason I'm perfectly content with my old Winchester model 70's... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave
This is what happens when you support the French.

Travis

I guess you get French when you cross a Finn and an Italian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah yezzz, ze old ejectshonn probleem. Ve only shuut but von at a tayme, silly Amedican. Eeet falls baack to ze chambuu, so ve dunt have to beeend ova to peek it up....

Frenchy get hornaa, might steek hees peepee een da hiney, no?

Oui!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a Nosler patriot, you won't be disappointed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah my last Sako finnlite was a dog. Although it dig kick the sheit out. Shot 3" groups.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks shootem, you just convinced me to save myself and my dad, and lose beretta about 3 grand. I was going to buy a black bear in 9.3x62 and my dad was going to pick up an A400 shotgun tomorrow. After reading your wonderful experience with them along with the thread on the black bear having the same issues, I will not buy any beretta product again. I sent this link to my dad and he's likely going to pass on the shotgun as well. My guess on why they have so few 85s being sent in for repair is the way they responded to you, saying they will not accept if for warranty work. If it was me and I was treated like that, I would probably call the president of beretta, put the letter and a link to this thread up on Facebook and in every gun related website, and file complaints with the BBB. This could easily turn into a product liability issue if someone got hurt due to this well documented issue and got charged and hooked by a buff or shredded by a grizz. Guess having a deep pocket military contract has made them a bit insensitive to their customers. As soon as the mil pulls their heads out of their azzes and fields out troops with something other than the M9, this crap will continue with beretta. Look at colts wonderful customer oriented service (non existant) until they lost the M4 exclusivity. It's amazing how much friendlier to their customers colt has become since.

Good luck with your battle
Craig

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So did you expect them to redesign their whole line so you can use the scope of your choice?

This is a well known issue from their M995 line years and years ago.

What did you have in mind? How can they have helped you out?

BTW if you get the lower profile scopes they work great. Think leupold CDS or Bushnell 6500 2,5x16......

Also I nave never seen a sako or Tikka that was not sub MOA. None leave the factory without shooting under 1". If one snuck out they will make it right...

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fotis, what the hell are you talking about? I expect a modern bolt action rifle designed to use optical sights to perform in an acceptable manner with a 1" diameter scope tube mounted in Medium rings. What did I have in mind? I had in mind the Sako 85 giving reliable ejection within the specs above. How can they (Beretta in this case) help me? By making a product that performs as intended. And by recognizing a design flaw and making it good to the end user. Leupold CDS and Bushnell 6500s have absolutely nothing to do with this issue. They as the Zeiss are 1" diameter tubes. The tube is what resides over the bolt opening. Rethink your comments.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 54 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.