And hell yeah BSA, always up for more schooling. smile

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed, I love that rifle! Perfect in every way!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What would you guys do if you happened upon a minty 1950 Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H with an uncracked stock? Shoot it and hope for the best, or bed it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It depends on if you are wanting to use it or look at it. Personally, I'd glass bed it with Devcon 10110 and rock on. The 375 will hold its value regardless..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It depends on if you are wanting to use it or look at it. Personally, I'd glass bed it with Devcon 10110 and rock on. The 375 will hold its value regardless..

I'll use it for sure, but ill probally use another stock. I dont think I'll be able to mess with such a rare piece of walnut.

Last edited by ismith; 09/07/14.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just to give you an idea, I sold an original stock from a 1956 375 H&H that was cracked and repaired, then glass bedded by yours truly for $400.00 on ebay. I don't think I could have gotten much more out of it even if it were not bedded. In your case, it would probably be wise to use another stock. It didn't take muck for a crack to develop on these in particular. This is the reason why they eventually went with cross bolts in the 375 H&H and 458 win stocks..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ismith

I'll use it for sure, but ill probally use another stock. I dont think I'll be able to mess with such a rare piece of walnut.

You should post some pics of your 375. Mine is one of my favorites..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Good decision....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree. I think they are pretty bad azz sitting a nice mcmillan, and you won't have to worry about them splitting wink. If he decides he wants to sell it down the road, the original stock will still be all original and still intact. Very good move as far as I'm concerned..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree. I think they are pretty bad azz sitting a nice mcmillan, and you won't have to worry about them splitting wink. If he decides he wants to sell it down the road, the original stock will still be all original and still intact. Very good move as far as I'm concerned..

I think I will either go with a macmillan or have a copy of its current wood one made. Then I could add stock bolts and bed it and still be guilt free. I plan on using it in Alaska for griz and maybe visit Texas for an "African" plains game hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You should post some pics of your 375. Mine is one of my favorites..

Ill post pictures as soon as I get her in my hands, which should be around a week or so. Would love to see a picture of yours. Is it bedded?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sounds great. I love the 375's!! You'll enjoy the heck out of shooting yours too. Here are a few pics of mine:

[Linked Image]

Now I love originality, but this stock was cracked and repaired by a professional. My smith reassured me that it was "done right". However, I was not happy that it was flawed and I sold it on ebay. I switched to a tough as nails stock that has dual crossbolts and is still walnut for that "classic" look. Albeit, it is not as nice as the original stock, but it is stronger and more trustworthy. To me, that is more important since I use my rifles. This new stock is full length bedded and the rifle shoots very well:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice looking rifle and a shooter to boot! Aside from having a drop comb, mine could be it's twin in the top picture. I'll likely be putting a peep sight on mine as it, like my 300 H&H, isn't drilled on the rear bridge. Its also less than 800 serials younger than my 300.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Please post pics of yours when you get it!! Thanks..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I suppose I could post a link to the auction. I'll get some better pictures when it shows up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438486078#PIC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent. That does look an awful lot like my rifle. A little older ("1949 DOM"). Rear bridge not drilled and tapped. Very good rifle right there sir. You did very well. One word of advice: You may want to check to see if it is cracked between the magazine well and trigger mortise. If you notice, it says "no cracks behind tang". Although he was very specific that there are no cracks there, there could be some behind the recoil lug and thru the magazine well cut out and trigger mortise. Just something I'd check before shooting.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent. That does look an awful lot like my rifle. A little older ("1949 DOM"). Rear bridge not drilled and tapped. Very good rifle right there sir. You did very well. One word of advice: You may want to check to see if it is cracked between the magazine well and trigger mortise. If you notice, it says "no cracks behind tang". Although he was very specific that there are no cracks there, there could be some behind the recoil lug and thru the magazine well cut out and trigger mortise. Just something I'd check before shooting.

Will do for sure. I noticed that wording, but figured it was worth the risk. If it is cracked then Ill have no reservations about repairing and bedding it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I suppose I could post a link to the auction. I'll get some better pictures when it shows up.

Might just be the pics but, it doesn't look like the stock is original to that gun. Appears to have the newer, smaller checkering pattern....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Might just be the pics but, it doesn't look like the stock is original to that gun. Appears to have the newer, smaller checkering pattern....

Hopefully its just the bad pics, if not I will bed the hell out of it!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Great Idea BSA.

I just finished up inletting a new hunk of walnut for my 59 Alaskan. I installed pillars and marine tex'd the entire action. Basically zero metal is touching wood anywhere. Even the bottom metal is totally sealed with epoxy. Barrel is totally floated and I am not using the forend screw. Now I have to sand the stock down to final form, finish and checker. I plan on doing some wet testing when done to see if massive exposure to precipitation will cause point of impact changes.

Here is a quick peek. I have the entire process documented so far, but it is far from done.

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to get her done.

Can't wait to see your project take shape!

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (35, 44mc, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.