Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like great news ismith. Let us know how you like her. I was out shooting my 338 Alaskan today and forgot how much I like that rifle. I feel the same way about my 375...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Update:

This is looking like a promising load for the old girl:

180 gr. Nosler partition with an average velocity of 2,714 fps:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That looks danged good! Not bad for an old Winchester!

The Alaskan went into Marine Tex today. Will break it apart on Friday when I get home. The Power Bedding Studs worked excellent.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome. I look forward to seeing how you did.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You and me both. First time not using tape. Seems to have cleaned up nice.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you used the Johnson's paste wax, it will work great. I don't know about using anything else. It's meant to be used on wood floors, so it won't hurt the finish on stocks. It doesn't seem to hurt painted stocks either. A trick I picked up from my smith. When you do this, it makes clean-up a breeze.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thats what I used, always have. Seems to let them pop free real clean and you can't beat the price.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes. A can of that stuff lasts a loooooooooooooong time too..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Update:

[Linked Image]

20 clicks up and you be set bud... smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Update:

[Linked Image]

Although some may think an out of the bull is acceptable, I don't. "20 clicks up" would gain me 5 inches high at 100 yards. No thanks. This will work just fine considering I run the ballistic plex reticle on this one.. wink

This rifle has always shot well, even in the old wood stock and running the el-cheapo Winchester power points:
[Linked Image]

John (79s), let's see how some of your classics put them way out in left field whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Update:

[Linked Image]

Although some may think an out of the bull is acceptable, I don't. "20 clicks up" would gain me 5 inches high at 100 yards. No thanks. This will work just fine considering I run the ballistic plex reticle on this one.. wink

This rifle has always shot well, even in the old wood stock and running the el-cheapo Winchester power points:
[Linked Image]

John (79s), let's see how some of your classics put them way out in left field whistle

Lol you referring to my 7wsm target I never made adjustments just shot to see how the 162's would group. Trust me bud none of my guns are sighted 3 1/2 inches and 1inch to the left lol I usually do 1 1/2 at 100yds.

Last edited by 79S; 09/21/14.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was also lucky that the wind mellowed way down for these 3 shots. All in all, I think this is going to work. I can fine tune this load even though this is a cheap bullet and mainly used for plinking. It was developed for my classic sporter 30-06, but this fwt took a liking to it as well. I'll do some load development with some 180gr. nosler partitions and this rifle and will post results (as per usual).

As I was looking at the load data in the pics I was thinking why not keep a box or two of Match Kings around for accuracy testing purposes?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question mathman. I guess I like getting the really cheap bullets to shoot good. Anyone can get a matchking to shoot grin..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, I used to sight in high (MPBR), until I started using the ballistic plex reticles. You probably haven't noticed, but most of my rifles are set up that way.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good question mathman. I guess I like getting the really cheap bullets to shoot good. Anyone can get a matchking to shoot grin..

Now THAT is funny!!! lmao! laugh cool

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EricM

Now THAT is funny!!! lmao! laugh cool

Yeah, yeah, but the idea is to test the bedding job. One variable at a time, scientific method and all that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I guess some of the groups I've posted aren't good enough. When it cools down around here and the wind slows down, I'll take this old girl to the range again (probably even a few times) and shoot it a little more. Right now I'm pretty confident that it shoots well enough for me. I like consistent shooting rifles and this one appears to be doing that. I always have to remind myself that these are hunting rifles and not benchrest guns. EricM has an old rifle of mine, so he knows how they shoot. I like posting these bedding threads so guys can see how glass bedding helps rifles to shoot more consistently. Also keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to glass bedding a rifle. Mathman, maybe my next bullet I test will be a 250gr. Barnes original. I think if a guy can get one of those things to fly straight, he'd have to buy a lottery ticket grin

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess some of the groups I've posted aren't good enough. When it cools down around here and the wind slows down, I'll take this old girl to the range again (probably even a few times) and shoot it a little more. Right now I'm pretty confident that it shoots well enough for me. I like consistent shooting rifles and this one appears to be doing that. I always have to remind myself that these are hunting rifles and not benchrest guns. EricM has an old rifle of mine, so he knows how they shoot. I like posting these bedding threads so guys can see how glass bedding helps rifles to shoot more consistently. Also keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to glass bedding a rifle. Mathman, maybe my next bullet I test will be a 250gr. Barnes original. I think if a guy can get one of those things to fly straight, he'd have to buy a lottery ticket grin

[Linked Image]

Hey now wipe those crocodile tears away stop fussing and go win one for the team tiger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You drink too much cough syrup today John???

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You drink too much cough syrup today John???

I was giving you a pep talk trying to motivate you. It was a long day in the U.S Army

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.