Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I just paid for a coyote bomber Mcmillan for my pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt and will glass bed the rifle. I'm wondering if you would like to see another step by step glass bedding thread? I plan on doing a full length bedding job (for chits and giggles) on this one since it responded very well to this type of bedding in its original stock. The other reason for doing this is because we always hear about free floated barrels being more accurate. Let's just call this an experiment in glass bedding for this particular rifle. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks and have a great weekend!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa, myself, I enjoy checking your bedding threads!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Always good to see.Many will find it informative I think!

Thanks for taking the time to do it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go for it. I've ended up full length bedding a couple of rifles as a last resort.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hells yeah!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EricM
Hells yeah!!

Im with Eric. My Gunsmith Mark Rains is so good and reasonable that I let him do them. WinPoor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Absolutely! I might yet try it!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would be interested in ANY input you post on M70s. "Post It,They will come".

John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I'd like to see the job as well. My stock should be here pretty shortly (I hope)!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds good guys. I like taking pics and walking thru the process. It keeps me honest I guess because If I make a mistake, you guys get to see it grin. Hopefully that doesn't happen though. I'll try to keep it short and sweet, but with plenty of pictures. Here's the old gal that's going to be getting the work done:

[Linked Image]

The new stock is the same pattern as factory (pre 64 Monetcarlo), but is a swirly with 50% dark grey, 25% black, and 25% tan ("coyote bomber" colors). We'll see how the barreled action fits when it arrives and go from there. I'm looking forward to sharing this project with you guys...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that is a pretty rifle as is BSA..

Are you swapping to McM for any reason in particular?

Also, are there any pictures of the "coyote bomber" pattern? Looking to order another McM for my 35 Newton and am slowly starting to think about which pattern I want on it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yeah, I'd like to see the job as well. My stock should be here pretty shortly (I hope)!

Scotty, is the stock you bought just like the one you have on your rifle right now (painted grey pre 64 montecarlo pattern)? What color did you go with. I'm assuming you went with the montecarlo pattern. Also, did you just delete the forend screw or is the new stock drilled for that? Thanks buddy..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Man, that is a pretty rifle as is BSA..

Are you swapping to McM for any reason in particular?

Also, are there any pictures of the "coyote bomber" pattern? Looking to order another McM for my 35 Newton and am slowly starting to think about which pattern I want on it.

I'm becoming more of a puzzy and the aluminum butt plate hurts sick eek. I love the rifle and decided to keep it and maybe get rid of my last 30-06 and just have this one on hand. It's amazing how many nice rifles this one has kicked out of the safe!!! The coyote bomber is just a color scheme (grey, black and tan), at one time it was pretty popular. I still like the colors and think they look great with blued rifles. Hopefully I'll have the stock in a few days and post a few pics.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Scotty, is the stock you bought just like the one you have on your rifle right now (painted grey pre 64 montecarlo pattern)? What color did you go with. I'm assuming you went with the montecarlo pattern. Also, did you just delete the forend screw or is the new stock drilled for that? Thanks buddy..

Yup, I went with the Pre 64 Monte Carlo with the McMillan Camo

[Linked Image]

I also added a red pad to the stock. I know it might not "look" entirely correct, but I really like red on the Winchesters.

The new stock is inletted for the barrel bolt, but it is not drilled through, so that would have to be done if I wanted to use the barrel bolt. My 338 shoots so well floated that I have no desire to mess with it when the new one comes though. I will just bed the receiver, tang, recoil lug and call it a day. The rifle has never shot so well and just flat out consistent with everything. Loads I thought were ho-hom are very good.

I'm becoming more of a puzzy and the aluminum butt plate hurts sick eek. I love the rifle and decided to keep it and maybe get rid of my last 30-06 and just have this one on hand. It's amazing how many nice rifles this one has kicked out of the safe!!! The coyote bomber is just a color scheme (grey, black and tan), at one time it was pretty popular. I still like the colors and think they look great with blued rifles. Hopefully I'll have the stock in a few days and post a few pics.

Yeah, I could see that metal butt plate wearing you down after a bit. I could be called a pansy as well, cause when it comes to the big guns, I just run the PAST recoil shield. It was a huge help with the factory brick red pad on the wood stock on my 338. With the McMillan on there now, it isn't so bad, but I still wear it, it's thin, but really helps keep the fatigue down for longer range sessions. I don't need any extra punishment to be honest, I like to shoot the 35 and 338's, but I like to be as comfortable as I can be doing it.. Call me what you want!

That color scheme sounds pretty cool. Not sure what I wanna do with the Newton. Figuring it'll be something just a little different than the 338, just not sure what. Hoping to get the 35 Newton into a coat of Cerrakote as well in the future. Figure that'll make it look pretty good as well..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yup, I went with the Pre 64 Monte Carlo with the McMillan Camo

[Linked Image]

I also added a red pad to the stock. I know it might not "look" entirely correct, but I really like red on the Winchesters.

The new stock is inletted for the barrel bolt, but it is not drilled through, so that would have to be done if I wanted to use the barrel bolt. My 338 shoots so well floated that I have no desire to mess with it when the new one comes though. I will just bed the receiver, tang, recoil lug and call it a day. The rifle has never shot so well and just flat out consistent with everything. Loads I thought were ho-hom are very good.

Yeah, I could see that metal butt plate wearing you down after a bit. I could be called a pansy as well, cause when it comes to the big guns, I just run the PAST recoil shield. It was a huge help with the factory brick red pad on the wood stock on my 338. With the McMillan on there now, it isn't so bad, but I still wear it, it's thin, but really helps keep the fatigue down for longer range sessions. I don't need any extra punishment to be honest, I like to shoot the 35 and 338's, but I like to be as comfortable as I can be doing it.. Call me what you want!

That color scheme sounds pretty cool. Not sure what I wanna do with the Newton. Figuring it'll be something just a little different than the 338, just not sure what. Hoping to get the 35 Newton into a coat of Cerrakote as well in the future. Figure that'll make it look pretty good as well..

If you don't mind, keep us posted. I really like both of your rifles. However, I thought the newton looked great as is!! I can understand your reason for going to the McMillan on the 338 too because the original is cracked/compromised. Your rifle (Alaskan) is speaking to you my friend: It likes to have the barrel free floated. I did the same with mine and it's a shooting sob too. Probably not as good as yours, but I've yet to shoot too many bullets downrange with the ol girl. I know it keeps the 225 gr. hornadies and 250 gr. sierra gamekings into around 1 moa, so that's good enough for me and my elk rifles. I've had good luck freefloating most of my rifles, but my best shooter is actually full length bedded. This 30-06 fwt shoots great sitting in the factory inletting with a little epoxy around the recoil lug, so I figured I'd go the way of full length bedding this time just for chits and giggles.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, my 338 shot well with the forend screw in it at first, but as the split worsened, it sorta started falling on it's face. Hated to replace it, but it's my elk rifle and I can't deal with that sorta thing since I get so little time to hunt as is.

If your getting MOA from yours, I wouldn't mess around. That's about all I ask from mine, along with keeping a consistent POI. If they do that, I don't like to mess with em.

The Newton is very good, as is, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the stainless look. The B&C isn't a bad stock, just a little tight in the grip area with my large paws. It'll do fine for this year though. It shoots fine.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know you hated to replace the factory stock, but when they start splitting it's down the road as far as I'm concerned. It's nice if you can glass bed them before that happens. My boss has a '59 Alaskan that is absolutely beautiful. The factory stock split after the first few shots back in '59, so Winchester sent him a new stock and he had his smith glass bed it to prevent that from happening again. After I got my 338, that's the first thing I checked and thankfully the receiver had already been glassed into the stock. I wish I could say I did that one because it is some primo work. However, I did glass the barrel channel and float the barrel. I'm hoping this fwt turns out as well as the Alaskan's bedding...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, it is too bad as I really liked the wood on my Alaskan. Ah well, such as life. As much as I love wood stocks, the McM will serve me better for most of my hunting.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree. That pretty much answers the question as to why I'm going with a Mcmillan vs. factory. They are stronger and more user friendly than the old aluminum butt plate stock.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own precisely two pre-64's, both custom wood stocked critters. The inletting of both is just nuts on and they shoot so and, in one case, do kill critters. The pre-war 270 requires a pounding drive to remove the factory bottom metal. The 270 below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.