Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I just paid for a coyote bomber Mcmillan for my pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt and will glass bed the rifle. I'm wondering if you would like to see another step by step glass bedding thread? I plan on doing a full length bedding job (for chits and giggles) on this one since it responded very well to this type of bedding in its original stock. The other reason for doing this is because we always hear about free floated barrels being more accurate. Let's just call this an experiment in glass bedding for this particular rifle. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks and have a great weekend!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa, myself, I enjoy checking your bedding threads!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Always good to see.Many will find it informative I think!

Thanks for taking the time to do it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go for it. I've ended up full length bedding a couple of rifles as a last resort.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hells yeah!!

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EricM
Hells yeah!!

Im with Eric. My Gunsmith Mark Rains is so good and reasonable that I let him do them. WinPoor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Absolutely! I might yet try it!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would be interested in ANY input you post on M70s. "Post It,They will come".

John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I'd like to see the job as well. My stock should be here pretty shortly (I hope)!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds good guys. I like taking pics and walking thru the process. It keeps me honest I guess because If I make a mistake, you guys get to see it grin. Hopefully that doesn't happen though. I'll try to keep it short and sweet, but with plenty of pictures. Here's the old gal that's going to be getting the work done:

[Linked Image]

The new stock is the same pattern as factory (pre 64 Monetcarlo), but is a swirly with 50% dark grey, 25% black, and 25% tan ("coyote bomber" colors). We'll see how the barreled action fits when it arrives and go from there. I'm looking forward to sharing this project with you guys...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that is a pretty rifle as is BSA..

Are you swapping to McM for any reason in particular?

Also, are there any pictures of the "coyote bomber" pattern? Looking to order another McM for my 35 Newton and am slowly starting to think about which pattern I want on it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yeah, I'd like to see the job as well. My stock should be here pretty shortly (I hope)!

Scotty, is the stock you bought just like the one you have on your rifle right now (painted grey pre 64 montecarlo pattern)? What color did you go with. I'm assuming you went with the montecarlo pattern. Also, did you just delete the forend screw or is the new stock drilled for that? Thanks buddy..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Man, that is a pretty rifle as is BSA..

Are you swapping to McM for any reason in particular?

Also, are there any pictures of the "coyote bomber" pattern? Looking to order another McM for my 35 Newton and am slowly starting to think about which pattern I want on it.

I'm becoming more of a puzzy and the aluminum butt plate hurts sick eek. I love the rifle and decided to keep it and maybe get rid of my last 30-06 and just have this one on hand. It's amazing how many nice rifles this one has kicked out of the safe!!! The coyote bomber is just a color scheme (grey, black and tan), at one time it was pretty popular. I still like the colors and think they look great with blued rifles. Hopefully I'll have the stock in a few days and post a few pics.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Scotty, is the stock you bought just like the one you have on your rifle right now (painted grey pre 64 montecarlo pattern)? What color did you go with. I'm assuming you went with the montecarlo pattern. Also, did you just delete the forend screw or is the new stock drilled for that? Thanks buddy..

Yup, I went with the Pre 64 Monte Carlo with the McMillan Camo

[Linked Image]

I also added a red pad to the stock. I know it might not "look" entirely correct, but I really like red on the Winchesters.

The new stock is inletted for the barrel bolt, but it is not drilled through, so that would have to be done if I wanted to use the barrel bolt. My 338 shoots so well floated that I have no desire to mess with it when the new one comes though. I will just bed the receiver, tang, recoil lug and call it a day. The rifle has never shot so well and just flat out consistent with everything. Loads I thought were ho-hom are very good.

I'm becoming more of a puzzy and the aluminum butt plate hurts sick eek. I love the rifle and decided to keep it and maybe get rid of my last 30-06 and just have this one on hand. It's amazing how many nice rifles this one has kicked out of the safe!!! The coyote bomber is just a color scheme (grey, black and tan), at one time it was pretty popular. I still like the colors and think they look great with blued rifles. Hopefully I'll have the stock in a few days and post a few pics.

Yeah, I could see that metal butt plate wearing you down after a bit. I could be called a pansy as well, cause when it comes to the big guns, I just run the PAST recoil shield. It was a huge help with the factory brick red pad on the wood stock on my 338. With the McMillan on there now, it isn't so bad, but I still wear it, it's thin, but really helps keep the fatigue down for longer range sessions. I don't need any extra punishment to be honest, I like to shoot the 35 and 338's, but I like to be as comfortable as I can be doing it.. Call me what you want!

That color scheme sounds pretty cool. Not sure what I wanna do with the Newton. Figuring it'll be something just a little different than the 338, just not sure what. Hoping to get the 35 Newton into a coat of Cerrakote as well in the future. Figure that'll make it look pretty good as well..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yup, I went with the Pre 64 Monte Carlo with the McMillan Camo

[Linked Image]

I also added a red pad to the stock. I know it might not "look" entirely correct, but I really like red on the Winchesters.

The new stock is inletted for the barrel bolt, but it is not drilled through, so that would have to be done if I wanted to use the barrel bolt. My 338 shoots so well floated that I have no desire to mess with it when the new one comes though. I will just bed the receiver, tang, recoil lug and call it a day. The rifle has never shot so well and just flat out consistent with everything. Loads I thought were ho-hom are very good.

Yeah, I could see that metal butt plate wearing you down after a bit. I could be called a pansy as well, cause when it comes to the big guns, I just run the PAST recoil shield. It was a huge help with the factory brick red pad on the wood stock on my 338. With the McMillan on there now, it isn't so bad, but I still wear it, it's thin, but really helps keep the fatigue down for longer range sessions. I don't need any extra punishment to be honest, I like to shoot the 35 and 338's, but I like to be as comfortable as I can be doing it.. Call me what you want!

That color scheme sounds pretty cool. Not sure what I wanna do with the Newton. Figuring it'll be something just a little different than the 338, just not sure what. Hoping to get the 35 Newton into a coat of Cerrakote as well in the future. Figure that'll make it look pretty good as well..

If you don't mind, keep us posted. I really like both of your rifles. However, I thought the newton looked great as is!! I can understand your reason for going to the McMillan on the 338 too because the original is cracked/compromised. Your rifle (Alaskan) is speaking to you my friend: It likes to have the barrel free floated. I did the same with mine and it's a shooting sob too. Probably not as good as yours, but I've yet to shoot too many bullets downrange with the ol girl. I know it keeps the 225 gr. hornadies and 250 gr. sierra gamekings into around 1 moa, so that's good enough for me and my elk rifles. I've had good luck freefloating most of my rifles, but my best shooter is actually full length bedded. This 30-06 fwt shoots great sitting in the factory inletting with a little epoxy around the recoil lug, so I figured I'd go the way of full length bedding this time just for chits and giggles.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, my 338 shot well with the forend screw in it at first, but as the split worsened, it sorta started falling on it's face. Hated to replace it, but it's my elk rifle and I can't deal with that sorta thing since I get so little time to hunt as is.

If your getting MOA from yours, I wouldn't mess around. That's about all I ask from mine, along with keeping a consistent POI. If they do that, I don't like to mess with em.

The Newton is very good, as is, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the stainless look. The B&C isn't a bad stock, just a little tight in the grip area with my large paws. It'll do fine for this year though. It shoots fine.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know you hated to replace the factory stock, but when they start splitting it's down the road as far as I'm concerned. It's nice if you can glass bed them before that happens. My boss has a '59 Alaskan that is absolutely beautiful. The factory stock split after the first few shots back in '59, so Winchester sent him a new stock and he had his smith glass bed it to prevent that from happening again. After I got my 338, that's the first thing I checked and thankfully the receiver had already been glassed into the stock. I wish I could say I did that one because it is some primo work. However, I did glass the barrel channel and float the barrel. I'm hoping this fwt turns out as well as the Alaskan's bedding...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, it is too bad as I really liked the wood on my Alaskan. Ah well, such as life. As much as I love wood stocks, the McM will serve me better for most of my hunting.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree. That pretty much answers the question as to why I'm going with a Mcmillan vs. factory. They are stronger and more user friendly than the old aluminum butt plate stock.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own precisely two pre-64's, both custom wood stocked critters. The inletting of both is just nuts on and they shoot so and, in one case, do kill critters. The pre-war 270 requires a pounding drive to remove the factory bottom metal. The 270 below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice rifle there Ed.

And hell yeah BSA, always up for more schooling. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed, I love that rifle! Perfect in every way!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What would you guys do if you happened upon a minty 1950 Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H with an uncracked stock? Shoot it and hope for the best, or bed it?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It depends on if you are wanting to use it or look at it. Personally, I'd glass bed it with Devcon 10110 and rock on. The 375 will hold its value regardless..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It depends on if you are wanting to use it or look at it. Personally, I'd glass bed it with Devcon 10110 and rock on. The 375 will hold its value regardless..

I'll use it for sure, but ill probally use another stock. I dont think I'll be able to mess with such a rare piece of walnut.

Last edited by ismith; 09/07/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just to give you an idea, I sold an original stock from a 1956 375 H&H that was cracked and repaired, then glass bedded by yours truly for $400.00 on ebay. I don't think I could have gotten much more out of it even if it were not bedded. In your case, it would probably be wise to use another stock. It didn't take muck for a crack to develop on these in particular. This is the reason why they eventually went with cross bolts in the 375 H&H and 458 win stocks..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ismith

I'll use it for sure, but ill probally use another stock. I dont think I'll be able to mess with such a rare piece of walnut.

You should post some pics of your 375. Mine is one of my favorites..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Good decision....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree. I think they are pretty bad azz sitting a nice mcmillan, and you won't have to worry about them splitting wink. If he decides he wants to sell it down the road, the original stock will still be all original and still intact. Very good move as far as I'm concerned..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree. I think they are pretty bad azz sitting a nice mcmillan, and you won't have to worry about them splitting wink. If he decides he wants to sell it down the road, the original stock will still be all original and still intact. Very good move as far as I'm concerned..

I think I will either go with a macmillan or have a copy of its current wood one made. Then I could add stock bolts and bed it and still be guilt free. I plan on using it in Alaska for griz and maybe visit Texas for an "African" plains game hunt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You should post some pics of your 375. Mine is one of my favorites..

Ill post pictures as soon as I get her in my hands, which should be around a week or so. Would love to see a picture of yours. Is it bedded?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sounds great. I love the 375's!! You'll enjoy the heck out of shooting yours too. Here are a few pics of mine:

[Linked Image]

Now I love originality, but this stock was cracked and repaired by a professional. My smith reassured me that it was "done right". However, I was not happy that it was flawed and I sold it on ebay. I switched to a tough as nails stock that has dual crossbolts and is still walnut for that "classic" look. Albeit, it is not as nice as the original stock, but it is stronger and more trustworthy. To me, that is more important since I use my rifles. This new stock is full length bedded and the rifle shoots very well:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice looking rifle and a shooter to boot! Aside from having a drop comb, mine could be it's twin in the top picture. I'll likely be putting a peep sight on mine as it, like my 300 H&H, isn't drilled on the rear bridge. Its also less than 800 serials younger than my 300.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Please post pics of yours when you get it!! Thanks..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I suppose I could post a link to the auction. I'll get some better pictures when it shows up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438486078#PIC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent. That does look an awful lot like my rifle. A little older ("1949 DOM"). Rear bridge not drilled and tapped. Very good rifle right there sir. You did very well. One word of advice: You may want to check to see if it is cracked between the magazine well and trigger mortise. If you notice, it says "no cracks behind tang". Although he was very specific that there are no cracks there, there could be some behind the recoil lug and thru the magazine well cut out and trigger mortise. Just something I'd check before shooting.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Excellent. That does look an awful lot like my rifle. A little older ("1949 DOM"). Rear bridge not drilled and tapped. Very good rifle right there sir. You did very well. One word of advice: You may want to check to see if it is cracked between the magazine well and trigger mortise. If you notice, it says "no cracks behind tang". Although he was very specific that there are no cracks there, there could be some behind the recoil lug and thru the magazine well cut out and trigger mortise. Just something I'd check before shooting.

Will do for sure. I noticed that wording, but figured it was worth the risk. If it is cracked then Ill have no reservations about repairing and bedding it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I suppose I could post a link to the auction. I'll get some better pictures when it shows up.

Might just be the pics but, it doesn't look like the stock is original to that gun. Appears to have the newer, smaller checkering pattern....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Might just be the pics but, it doesn't look like the stock is original to that gun. Appears to have the newer, smaller checkering pattern....

Hopefully its just the bad pics, if not I will bed the hell out of it!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Great Idea BSA.

I just finished up inletting a new hunk of walnut for my 59 Alaskan. I installed pillars and marine tex'd the entire action. Basically zero metal is touching wood anywhere. Even the bottom metal is totally sealed with epoxy. Barrel is totally floated and I am not using the forend screw. Now I have to sand the stock down to final form, finish and checker. I plan on doing some wet testing when done to see if massive exposure to precipitation will cause point of impact changes.

Here is a quick peek. I have the entire process documented so far, but it is far from done.

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to get her done.

Can't wait to see your project take shape!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for posting. Your bedding job looks awesome!! I always enjoy seeing your work. You are doing a top notch job as always. I'd really like it if you posted the complete job after you get it done in a step by step fassion if that's not too much to ask. I know there's a ton of work that goes into something like that, but it would be cool to see your work progress.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's the stock. I just got it today. I like the looks of it and look forward to getting this thing bedded and shooting it. As the stock sits now, it is heavier than the fwt wood stock it's replacing. It will be even heavier after bedding compound is layed in there. I was hoping it would be very similar in weight to the factory wood stock, but such is not the case. However, it will be much stronger than the factory stock and will not warp or change with the weather. We'll see how she shoots with a full length bedding job too. Here she is:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright. After 5 pages of preliminary, it's time to bed this rifle into a Mcmillan swirly stock!!!!

Step 1:
Hog out old bedding material. Make sure the barreled action slides into the new stock effortlessly. You also want to make sure the barreled action is centered in the stock. This may require you to remove some of the stock material so the azz end of the receiver can move and point the barrel directly down the center of the channel.

[Linked Image]
I use a yellow inletting paint to make sure enough is relieved. Don't confuse this with the yellow modeling clay. Check out this gap sick.. The original owner had a barrel with a different shank length and contour. This will get covered up pretty easily when we are done. This should be expected when buying a used stock:
[Linked Image]

Step 2:

I wanted 3 points of contact to insure the barreled action would sit in the stock perfectly centered and remain "neutral"/stress free during glass bedding. The 3 points of contact are the pillars in the stock and 1 that I had to make at the tip of the forend:

[Linked Image]

The best thing for this is a fast setting epoxy. For this type of thing I've always used JB quick and it works very well. Set up time is 6 minutes, so you need to apply it and throw the barreled action in and get it set where you want it. Sorry no pics as this is a kind of hurried event:
[Linked Image]

Step 3:
Use some modeling clay in the voids where you don't want epoxy:
[Linked Image]

Step 4:
Remove trigger group and bolt release lever.

Step 5:
Spray the inside of the receiver with Hornady ones shot case lube or other similar release agent.

Step 6:
Spray other hard to get to crevices with the one shot case lube. I then use a little modeling clay on the receiver where the bolt release lever was. This will hopefully add clearance in this area so when the release lever is installed, it clears the side of the stock and works freely.
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1061_zps96f5292d.jpg[/img]

Do a trial fit to make sure there is a little clearance between the stock and clay. You'll want to do this before adding the epoxy:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1053_zps08553745.jpg[/img]

Step 7:
Now coat the outside of the stock with some good release agent. I have been using Johnson's paste wax for a while now and it works great. This will assure a quick clean-up with no epoxy sticking to the outside of the stock where it doesn't belong.

Step 8:
Coat all steel parts of the barreled action with release agent. You can also spray the modeling clay with the hornady one shot case lube. Release agent is your best friend!!

Step 9:
Mix up your bedding compound. I have used many types of epoxy and like Devcon 10110 the best. It's both very strong and durable and easy to work with:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1064_zps7ded23e0.jpg[/img]

They limit us to 10 pictures per post, so this will have to be continued in the next post....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, let's start putting some epoxy into the stock:

Step 10:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 11:
Install the barreled action. I used the factory action screws to bolt everything back together because it sat on the pillars very well. I don't apply too much torque on the screws because this will induce stress if the pillars to bottom of the receiver isn't perfect. When you do this, you'll see epoxy oozing out of the stock. This is a good thing because you know you put enough bedding material in there:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 12:
Clean the oozed out epoxy before it hardens up. I know some guys wait until it's pliable, but I don't. I use q-tips loaded with the johnsons paste wax to wipe the excess epoxy off. It works great and simplifies the clean-up process after you pop the action out of the stock. If you do it right, it will look like this:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1077_zpse000e5a7.jpg[/img]
Now we wait for the epoxy to harden up. I usually let it sit for a minimum of 12 hours before trying to separate barreled action from stock...

[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1082_zps0264230f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1084_zps75c0cda7.jpg[/img]

As with all bedding jobs, the real test will be when we take it to the range. I'll post more pics tonight after I pop the action out of the stock. I'll hopefully shoot this ol girl tomorrow.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
DAM, I was hoping since it was heavy you would let me have it for my fwt, 06, My smith is bedding the wood stock for me, it was ,is my first fwt after untold std guns, he did a great job on my target in sporter stock gun. I have a feeling the older I get the more the fwt will get used. I started working on the bench today, by 12 it was too hot but the dam bugs were not clouding up! I got a 52 E in that is super sweet. great job it looks like it will be as solid as a glue in benchrest gun when you get her done! very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I know a lot of guys frown on a full length bedding job and the previous owner of the stock seemed displeased that I'd be doing a FL bedding job on it. But hey I listen to what my rifles tell me. This old girl loved it's factory inletted stock. Most of you know how this rifle shot in it's factory stock, so I'll refrain from posting pics of that. We'll see how she does tomorrow. I'll be running my "big" scope on her too (Sorry guys, I know how you love your light little scopes). I'll probably end up leaving that scope on her too. my eyes suck and I don't mind the 4.5-14 (call me crazy).. crazy

Winpoor, the fwt's are the catz azz if you ask me. I get very good accuracy out of them and they are a lot lighter than the std's. Let us know how your fwt shoots for you after you get it back from the smiths...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking good~!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I was wanting it to look as good as yours. You be the judge. Just got her cleaned up and bolted back together. I installed my 4.5-14x42 scope and now I wish I had a good ol 3-9x40 laying around blush. Now lets see, I think I was somewhere around step 12:

Pop the action loose from the stock. Please see my other bedding thread for this procedure. That thread is in the Winchester collector forum as well.

Step 13:
Clean metal parts. The Johnson's paste wax comes off very easy with some good ol rem oil.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 14:
Install trigger group and bolt stop:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Step 14:
Drill action screw holes out in stock. I drill from the bottom (invert the rifle and drill down when secured in the rifle rest) thru the aluminum pillar as a guide. I also use a 5/16" drill bit. When you are done, the hole should look nice and true like this:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1085_zpsd395ae86.jpg[/img]

Step 15 do a trial fit with trigger and bolt release/stop installed. If it hangs up on the bedding, take a dremel and fine tune the tight spots (that means remove material)...Here's an example, the pin that hold the trigger group in was hitting the bedding as the action slid down inside the stock. I removed material and then it slid down with no problem:

Before:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1102_zps2140514a.jpg[/img]

After:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_1106_zps16d7cefd.jpg[/img]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah baby!! That's what I'm talking about. cool

Thanks for sharing the process with us BSA. I also really like the way the stock came out. Nice color choice!

Next step - To the range!!

Eric

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looking great BSA! Awesome Job! A+++++

Can't wait to get this move to New Mexico done so I can set up my shop again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright guys. Time was short at the range but I got up there. Had to go to another location to try to get out of the wind too. Here was the first 5 shot group after getting on paper and making the first adjustment towards the orange dot. The burris scope wasn't tracking like it should, so I may end up replacing it with a trimmer scope.

First group/first adjustment of scope sick:
[Linked Image]

I was in a chitty spot and the wind was terrible. So I moved to another more sheltered location about 1/2 hr away from the first spot. I adjusted the scope and fired 5 shots:
[Linked Image]

I adjusted the scope 1 last time and shot 3 more and called it a day:
[Linked Image]
I was also lucky that the wind mellowed way down for these 3 shots. All in all, I think this is going to work. I can fine tune this load even though this is a cheap bullet and mainly used for plinking. It was developed for my classic sporter 30-06, but this fwt took a liking to it as well. I'll do some load development with some 180gr. nosler partitions and this rifle and will post results (as per usual).

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing your partition loads turn out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did you bed the recoil lug "solid" with no clearance, or do you tape it off a bit?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Alright guys. Time was short at the range but I got up there. Had to go to another location to try to get out of the wind too. Here was the first 5 shot group after getting on paper and making the first adjustment towards the orange dot. The burris scope wasn't tracking like it should, so I may end up replacing it with a trimmer scope.

First group/first adjustment of scope sick:
[Linked Image]

I was in a chitty spot and the wind was terrible. So I moved to another more sheltered location about 1/2 hr away from the first spot. I adjusted the scope and fired 5 shots:
[Linked Image]

I adjusted the scope 1 last time and shot 3 more and called it a day:
[Linked Image]
I was also lucky that the wind mellowed way down for these 3 shots. All in all, I think this is going to work. I can fine tune this load even though this is a cheap bullet and mainly used for plinking. It was developed for my classic sporter 30-06, but this fwt took a liking to it as well. I'll do some load development with some 180gr. nosler partitions and this rifle and will post results (as per usual).

Sweet 25yd group smile

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Right John. whistle. One of these days you need to get yourself a pre 64, so you can see what a real rifle is.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Did you bed the recoil lug "solid" with no clearance, or do you tape it off a bit?

I always bed them solid. I know of a few other guys that do the same. I knew someone would be along to ask that question..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Looking great BSA! Awesome Job! A+++++

A guy needs a shop for sure. I look forward to seeing your rifle when it is done. If it turns out like your last one, it will be top notch. Thanks for the comments..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Right John. whistle. One of these days you need to get yourself a pre 64, so you can see what a real rifle is.. wink

[bleep] just to watch rust in alaska no thanks you lower 48 boys just don't know. Stainless all day... I'm not ready to watch a grown man cry from Oregon when his beloved model 70 is a pile of rust

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Besides I already know what real rifle is I have model 54...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the 54's grin cool

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

[bleep] just to watch rust in alaska no thanks you lower 48 boys just don't know. Stainless all day... I'm not ready to watch a grown man cry from Oregon when his beloved model 70 is a pile of rust

That would suck!!! Hey J, how do the classic stainless rifles hold up in AK? I'm hanging on to my stainless 7mm rem mag just for chitty weather hunting. That rifle is a damn tack driver too.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

That would suck!!! Hey J, how do the classic stainless rifles hold up in AK? I'm hanging on to my stainless 7mm rem mag just for chitty weather hunting. That rifle is a damn tack driver too.

I can leave my stainless model 70 in a gun boot overnight in the rain and be gtg now daughters rifle I have to remember to bring it in at night cause it's blued vanguard. My plan is to give her the stainless model 70 in the 270wsm. I forgot it one night my daughter gun uh oh bad move but got it cleaned up. Blued model 70 will be fine you just have to remember bring it in at night that's all. I just can't bring myself to buy a nice pre 64 and screw it up cause I forgot it in gunboot overnight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice work BSA! Matter of fact I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice as yours did.

This is the one that'll get fitted to the 338 shortly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Geeze, I love these threads ,great thread BSA , Beretz, I sure like the Camo pattern too! BSA I thought you were putting a 4.5X14 on that gun? My favorite scope is a 4.5 X 14 , 40 AO with Leupolds varmint reticule. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you WP. Appreciate it. It's going on my most prized rifle and my main battle rifle, my M70 Alaskan. The wood stock is pretty well cracked up, so a McMillan is taking it's place. While not as nice as the wood stock, it'll take the beating elk hunting seems to dish out to my long guns.

I did keep the red pad though.. grin

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Red pad looks good, I understand making setting them up for hunting, that is what these old gals were built to do! The syn. stock goes a long way.. very best and let us see the gun when you get done WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty. I like your stock. Remember to use plenty of release agent. I mean a nice thin coat on everything that's not getting glued down. If you noticed, I use the johnsons paste wax on the outside of the stock so epoxy doesn't stick to it. However, if you do this, don't put any in the checkering. It's a biotch to get out of there!! That's a trick my smith told me about and it's much easier than messing with masking tape. Tape the barrel for your freefloat clearance. If I remember correctly, your rifle likes to be freefloated with the forend screw out. Good luck with it my friend.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Geeze, I love these threads ,great thread BSA , Beretz, I sure like the Camo pattern too! BSA I thought you were putting a 4.5X14 on that gun? My favorite scope is a 4.5 X 14 , 40 AO with Leupolds varmint reticule. very best WinPoor

Thanks winpoor. I'll have to try one of those Leupold 4.5-14x40 w/ao scopes. I've eyeballed them a few times. I've had excellent luck with the Burris FFII 3-9x40 scopes and have gotten used to using them in the field. I'm kind of disappointed that this 4.5-14 doesn't track for chit. It's a new scope that I've had for about a year now, but it just didn't get used. I'll pull this thing and maybe put a good FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle on it and take a good look at the Leupold 4.5-14x40 W/AO next weekend when I go to Cabela's...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My rifle lost 1/4 pound today grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I wonder how Mr. beretz is doing on his stock?

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[quote=pre6422hornet]Looking great BSA! Awesome Job! A+++++

A guy needs a shop for sure. I look forward to seeing your rifle when it is done. If it turns out like your last one, it will be top notch. Thanks for the comments.. [/quote

Yep. We are in the process of moving from Kansas City to New Mexico so all my projects are on the back burner until we get moved. Moving 50+ firearms 14 hours is not an easy thing to do. Good thing I have done it now 3 times so I have a good packing system smile

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Scotty the Micky looks good. I like the red pad. Can't wait to see the Marine Tex treatment.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Nothing yet. Had to replace my clutch in my pickup this weekend. I've got power bedding studs and Marine Tex on order. I should get my stuff by next weekend and hopefully get the stock bedded. Can't wait.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks real sharp, BSA!!

Scotty, I like the red pad on your stock. NICE and classy!!

Eric

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
nice work!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty the Micky looks good. I like the red pad. Can't wait to see the Marine Tex treatment.

+1!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks real sharp, BSA!!

Scotty, I like the red pad on your stock. NICE and classy!!

Eric

Thanks Eric. I'm waiting on my Marine Tex from Brownells so I'm hoping it how's up by the weekend. I'm heading back to Camp Lejeune tomorrow so I'll be back to Va on Friday. Should be able to get it bedded up Friday or Saturday. Very excited to see how it looks when it's all done.

BSA has given me some great ideas too. Can't wait to implement them.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safe travels, Scotty. Please post a pic once it's all done. I'd love to see it!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice work BSA! Matter of fact I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice as yours did.

This is the one that'll get fitted to the 338 shortly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scotty, I like that stock much better than the plain grey one your buddy lent you to try on your 338. Keep us posted on how your bedding job turns out and remember if you need any help, pm me. I'm pretty easy to reach grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Hopefully its just the bad pics, if not I will bed the hell out of it!

Received my 375 H&H today and It looks like I wont be bedding her. I'm confident after taking her apart that she hasn't been apart since she was assembled. I'd conservatively call her a 95% rifle, and the stock isn't cracked anywhere either!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like great news ismith. Let us know how you like her. I was out shooting my 338 Alaskan today and forgot how much I like that rifle. I feel the same way about my 375...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Update:

This is looking like a promising load for the old girl:

180 gr. Nosler partition with an average velocity of 2,714 fps:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That looks danged good! Not bad for an old Winchester!

The Alaskan went into Marine Tex today. Will break it apart on Friday when I get home. The Power Bedding Studs worked excellent.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome. I look forward to seeing how you did.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You and me both. First time not using tape. Seems to have cleaned up nice.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you used the Johnson's paste wax, it will work great. I don't know about using anything else. It's meant to be used on wood floors, so it won't hurt the finish on stocks. It doesn't seem to hurt painted stocks either. A trick I picked up from my smith. When you do this, it makes clean-up a breeze.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thats what I used, always have. Seems to let them pop free real clean and you can't beat the price.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes. A can of that stuff lasts a loooooooooooooong time too..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Update:

[Linked Image]

20 clicks up and you be set bud... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Update:

[Linked Image]

Although some may think an out of the bull is acceptable, I don't. "20 clicks up" would gain me 5 inches high at 100 yards. No thanks. This will work just fine considering I run the ballistic plex reticle on this one.. wink

This rifle has always shot well, even in the old wood stock and running the el-cheapo Winchester power points:
[Linked Image]

John (79s), let's see how some of your classics put them way out in left field whistle

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Update:

[Linked Image]

Although some may think an out of the bull is acceptable, I don't. "20 clicks up" would gain me 5 inches high at 100 yards. No thanks. This will work just fine considering I run the ballistic plex reticle on this one.. wink

This rifle has always shot well, even in the old wood stock and running the el-cheapo Winchester power points:
[Linked Image]

John (79s), let's see how some of your classics put them way out in left field whistle

Lol you referring to my 7wsm target I never made adjustments just shot to see how the 162's would group. Trust me bud none of my guns are sighted 3 1/2 inches and 1inch to the left lol I usually do 1 1/2 at 100yds.

Last edited by 79S; 09/21/14.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

As I was looking at the load data in the pics I was thinking why not keep a box or two of Match Kings around for accuracy testing purposes?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question mathman. I guess I like getting the really cheap bullets to shoot good. Anyone can get a matchking to shoot grin..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, I used to sight in high (MPBR), until I started using the ballistic plex reticles. You probably haven't noticed, but most of my rifles are set up that way.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good question mathman. I guess I like getting the really cheap bullets to shoot good. Anyone can get a matchking to shoot grin..

Now THAT is funny!!! lmao! laugh cool

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Now THAT is funny!!! lmao! laugh cool

Yeah, yeah, but the idea is to test the bedding job. One variable at a time, scientific method and all that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I guess some of the groups I've posted aren't good enough. When it cools down around here and the wind slows down, I'll take this old girl to the range again (probably even a few times) and shoot it a little more. Right now I'm pretty confident that it shoots well enough for me. I like consistent shooting rifles and this one appears to be doing that. I always have to remind myself that these are hunting rifles and not benchrest guns. EricM has an old rifle of mine, so he knows how they shoot. I like posting these bedding threads so guys can see how glass bedding helps rifles to shoot more consistently. Also keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to glass bedding a rifle. Mathman, maybe my next bullet I test will be a 250gr. Barnes original. I think if a guy can get one of those things to fly straight, he'd have to buy a lottery ticket grin

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I guess some of the groups I've posted aren't good enough. When it cools down around here and the wind slows down, I'll take this old girl to the range again (probably even a few times) and shoot it a little more. Right now I'm pretty confident that it shoots well enough for me. I like consistent shooting rifles and this one appears to be doing that. I always have to remind myself that these are hunting rifles and not benchrest guns. EricM has an old rifle of mine, so he knows how they shoot. I like posting these bedding threads so guys can see how glass bedding helps rifles to shoot more consistently. Also keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat when it comes to glass bedding a rifle. Mathman, maybe my next bullet I test will be a 250gr. Barnes original. I think if a guy can get one of those things to fly straight, he'd have to buy a lottery ticket grin

[Linked Image]

Hey now wipe those crocodile tears away stop fussing and go win one for the team tiger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You drink too much cough syrup today John???

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You drink too much cough syrup today John???

I was giving you a pep talk trying to motivate you. It was a long day in the U.S Army

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BSA--thanks for posting this. Don't know how I missed it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem buddy. Hope it helps someone on the fence about glass bedding their own. Keep in mind this rifle shot extremely well when it was in its factory inletted stock so I used that knowledge and transferred that to the mcmillan. In all honesty, it probably would have shot lights out with a free floating barrel. But when you know something works, why change it??? I do have to say that 99% of my Winchester model 70's have free floating barrels. Part of me just wanted to prove a point with this one. Melvin Forbes FL beds his NULA's with ultimate success, why should this model 70 be any different? Thanks for the comments guys and good luck hunting this year!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, whatever you did with this one... keep doing it! wink

Eric

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always liked that rifle Eric. It's so consistently accurate, that I wondered if it had a national match barrel on it or something grin . It has one of the slickest actions on it too. I set that rifle up as a shooter, and that's exactly what it does. I'm glad you still like it and take care of it. It went to the perfect gentleman..

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always liked that rifle Eric. It's so consistently accurate, that I wondered if it had a national match barrel on it or something grin . It has one of the slickest actions on it too. I set that rifle up as a shooter, and that's exactly what it does. I'm glad you still like it and take care of it. It went to the perfect gentleman..

I hear you crying calm down take deep breaths..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not really, just stating simple facts. When you find a good shooting pre 64 like Eric's, you'll finally understand. Until then, just pretend your classics are good rifles wink laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not really, just stating simple facts. When you find a good shooting pre 64 like Eric's, you'll finally understand. Until then, just pretend your classics are good rifles wink laugh

Oh they are... You internet bully . Now stop crying you let a good shooter go and tighten up those chuck Connors shoe strings and go get them tiger!!!! I have pre 64 in a 264 sitting in the basement that [bleep] thing I tell you. You get over 2800 fps it patterns keep it below 2800 it shoots very well, you get case head seperation after 2-3 firings and the stock so warped it isn't funny. So I will stick to junk ass classics

Last edited by 79S; 09/24/14.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hope it helps someone on the fence about glass bedding their own.

Your bedding jobs look pretty darn good. It's not surprising the rifles shoot consistently.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I learned a lot from his bedding threads now I do it regularly my stuff not as nice as his but really helped with accuracy with my model 70. That pre 64 I mentioned I should have full length bedded it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
79s, I pillar bedded Eric's rifle and free floated the barrel. No glass under the chamber either. The std wt's are a biotch to free float because of the dognot (sight boss). I also did the same thing with my 338 Alaskan. I delete the forend screw and epoxy a dummy screw in so it looks factory. That type of treatment is a lot more time consuming, but it works great on the pre 64's I've bedded that way.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA, I'm going to have to dig up that thread where you showed how you bedded my rifle. cool

Eric

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BSA hi I was wondering how many coats of the case lube do you give the barreled action? I will be bedding a 1909 Mauser soon and want to do a good job on it. Thanks Randy

US Army Ft Carson, Co 1976 to 1979
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I use just Hornady one shot case lube, I spray it once, let it dry and then spray it again for a double coverage.. Good luck with your 1909 mauser bedding job..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, I'm going to have to dig up that thread where you showed how you bedded my rifle. cool

Eric

I don't think I had a bedding thread on your rifle. That was before I really started posting a lot on this subject here. Since I've gotten many pm's and responses about pictures I post showing my rifles bedding jobs, I feel like it is easier for me to just post the process and point a guy to the thread.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, last weekend I was finally able to get the new McMillan put on my Pre 64 Alaskan. I used Marine Tex in order to do the bedding. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it has been raining around here (finally).

Love the stock, Marine Tex works REALLY well, easy to use and seems to lay down very nicely. Need to detail clean the metal, but overall, I am very happy. Bedded the receiver and a few inches in front of the barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hoping to get out today if the weather holds to put a couple of shots through it to see how it works.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent Scotty. That rifle looks great. I also like the steel talleys and swaro on top. I'll bet it shoots just like it did when it was in the wood stock. Thanks for letting us know how the marine tex works. I'll get my hands on some of that and try it out one of these days. I'm also sending you those 225gr. hornadies today. Let us know how your rifle shoots!!

By the way, I'll be putting this together next week cool grin...:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy, but I've always loved the looks of this blue swirly.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks BSA. Came out decent. Had to open up the barrel channel some to make sure it floated correctly, seems like McMillan did their inletting for the barrel change with an axe...

The stock is good though. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it though. It is my favorite rifle, hoping this stock does it proud.

I love the wood on your 300.. That McMillan should be very nice though for wet weather. At least that is what I am betting on!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, yeah, Marine Tex. Very nice stuff. Works very easily, flows excellent (like smooth peanut butter) and seems to be good.

I used your method of waxing the stock and wiping down with waxxed q-tips. I have a little wax in the checkering still, but I imagine a little more clean up and use will get that taken care of.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Looks Great Scotty! Can't wait to see the range reports.

BSA I have been using Marine Tex for about 10 years and it would take an act of God to get me to change. Just wish they made it in clear so I could use it on wood stocks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Use a stiff bristle toothbrush on the checkering to remove the wax. Rem oil also works great to remove the wax. I'll bet your rifle is going to shoot great. I have a good looking wood stock that I was going to offer up to you for your 338, but now it looks like you don't need it. I like the looks of your new stock. It looks much better than the dull grey micky your friend let you borrow.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks Great Scotty! Can't wait to see the range reports.

BSA I have been using Marine Tex for about 10 years and it would take an act of God to get me to change. Just wish they made it in clear so I could use it on wood stocks.

I've been hooked on Devcon 10110 for a while now. I know a lot of guys swear by the marine tex for McMillan stocks. One thing about the devcon I notice is it is very runny. I've glass bedded with JB weld and accraglass and believe it or not, I like the consistency of the JB weld better than just about anything. However, I don't believe it to be as strong as the Devcon. I've actually been tempted to try some splash zone (industrial marine grade) we have at work for repairing holes in ship hulls underwater grin.... That stuff seems to be about as bullet proof of an epoxy as you can get grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA, if you like JB Weld, you'll find the same consistency with Marine Tex. Just from this one use, I am thinking it'll get used a bunch more. It was very easy to mix, work with and clean up.

I just washed my hands with soap and water, and it takes off the wet Marine Tex without problems. Much more better'er than AcraGel or Devcon.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the sounds of that. Where's the best place to find it???

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I got mine from Brownells, along with a set of Power Bedding Studs. Great addition to my kit.

I believe I will have enough in this kit to do quite a few rifles and Pat says the stuff lasts a long time on the shelf which AcraGel doe not in my experience. Pretty reasonable in cost as well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, I'll be giving it a try for sure..

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marine Tex is available at virtually any ships chandler.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks BSA. Came out decent. Had to open up the barrel channel some to make sure it floated correctly, seems like McMillan did their inletting for the barrel change with an axe...

The stock is good though. Looking forward to putting some rounds through it though. It is my favorite rifle, hoping this stock does it proud.

I love the wood on your 300.. That McMillan should be very nice though for wet weather. At least that is what I am betting on!

Yeah, if you are going to be down here again this year I hope we don't get as much rain as we did last year! I think your McMillan will be just the ticket if we do get it though. I do like the wood on my 300 as well, but the blue swirly will be better in wet weather. I also wanted to thank oregon45 for giving me such a great deal on his blue swirly. He knew I was eyeballing it a long time ago because everytime he posted a pic of his rifle, I'd comment on it. Seems like I've been bedding a rifle a week around here and this one is next on the list. I'm also running low on Devcon, so I may have to buy some marine tex and try it on the next one. Wish me luck guys grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, last weekend I was finally able to get the new McMillan put on my Pre 64 Alaskan. I used Marine Tex in order to do the bedding. Sorry for the crappy pictures, it has been raining around here (finally).

Love the stock, Marine Tex works REALLY well, easy to use and seems to lay down very nicely. Need to detail clean the metal, but overall, I am very happy. Bedded the receiver and a few inches in front of the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Scotty, that turned out awesome!! I like the camo with the red pad. Very classy looking!!!

BSA - I'm also liking the blue! Very cool, and different.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Scotty, that turned out awesome!! I like the camo with the red pad. Very classy looking!!!

BSA - I'm also liking the blue! Very cool, and different.

Eric

I'm hoping you guys aren't thinking it would look more fitting on a 270 laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA - It's okay to be "different"... We all support you, buddy. lol. wink

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. Well, here is what it looks like:

[Linked Image]

It's sitting in Devcon 10110 right now. That's why the barrel has the electrical tape on it: Centers the barrel in the channel. This one was easy. Just took a bit off of the pad the front action screw goes thru to lower the action down into the stock so the barrel and receiver is in the stock where it should be. I forgive you McMillan. I've never not had to dremel a Mcmillan before glass bedding. I also had to dremel a little from one side of the tang to get the barrel more centered. Other than that, it went pretty good. Here it is from a different angle and in the rifle rest. I'll pull the action out of the stock tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work:

[Linked Image]

This rifle has always been a shooter and it will still shoot awesome in this swirly micky stock. However, now I don't have to worry about banging the nice wood around.

2008 Limited edition 300WSM
Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42
Talley lows
blue/white swirl Hunters Compact Mcmillan
Free floated the barrel and glass bedded the recoil lug and tang with Devcon 10110
Ernie the gunsmith trigger sprig for the MOA trigger: 2 3/8 pound pull wt.
Stainless Extreme Weather fluted barrel

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looking good! Glad to see that stock on a 300 WSM again.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My daughter would love that stock she loves blue and white... I need to get one for my wife's 280... I need to find a model 70 for my daughter as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Thanks my friend. It was like the perfect match as far as I'm concerned. I really like it...

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks my friend. It was like the perfect match as far as I'm concerned. I really like it...

Hey your Minnie me slavek is on the prowl

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha. I thought you and him were the same person, just different screen names laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lol here I thought you and TAK were one in the same too weird

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 79S
My daughter would love that stock she loves blue and white... I need to get one for my wife's 280... I need to find a model 70 for my daughter as well.

The recipe for that stock is 60/40 light blue and white.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lookin' good!!! smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lookin' good!!! smile

Yeah, but does she shoot? grin .. Eric, a friend of mine sat down to shoot this rifle a few months ago and in the sitting position, shot a 3/4" 3 shot group sick.. He's an aerospace engineer and begged me to sell this thing to him after firing it. He also made me shoot that load over his chrono because he thought it would show some good numbers. I think the SD was 9 or something like that. His chrono is way fancier than mine and it was an eye opener. I'm thinking this thing will still shoot good with this micky wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I always liked the picture of your rifle in this stock with the mountain and forest in the background..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It centered up very well too. Here's how she looks all done:

Just glass bedded the tang and recoil lug on this one because the full length receiver takes longer and I don't really see any benefit on a good solid micky. This one is also freefloated all the way to the recoil lug (see dollar bills folded in half):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll bet this thing still shoots to the same poa as the wood stock. Shouldn't even have to touch the turrets.. wink

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pulled out the 20 dollar bills... We got it your a big money hustler

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha...Yeah right. Did you show this rifle to your daughter yet?

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No not yet if she's sees it she will want one smile I really need to find her a good model 70 in a 7-08 or 270.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Or a 243. Don't you have tons of good model 70's you can give her? If you want my XTR, you can buy that from me. I was trying to get my 15 year old daughter interested in shooting, but no go. I was hoping she would like the XTR, but she's just not into guns...

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Or a 257 Roberts!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes sir...

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or a 243. Don't you have tons of good model 70's you can give her? If you want my XTR, you can buy that from me. I was trying to get my 15 year old daughter interested in shooting, but no go. I was hoping she would like the XTR, but she's just not into guns...

[Linked Image]

Mine are all magnums so I need to find a non magnum for her. That's to bad on your daughter my daughter likes to hang out and hunt but she is turning more and more into a girl frown

Is that the pushfeed 270 you bought awhile back? I found with daughter she likes that muddy girl Camo so when I do, do something I will get something like that done. But in blue and white.

Last edited by 79S; 10/02/14.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Maybe she would like this one?

[Linked Image]

That started life as a classic stainless BOSS in .243. I had a new 243 barrel installed, found a youth stock, sanded it down, glass bedded it, stained it pink, finished it, checkered it, and mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2x7x32. It is for my 7 year old daughter. She picked out the stain, helped design the checkering panel, and she loaded the rounds for development.

here she is testing it out. It still is just a might too long for her, but by next year it should fit her well.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's cute!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lookin' good!!! smile

Yeah, but does she shoot? grin .. Eric, a friend of mine sat down to shoot this rifle a few months ago and in the sitting position, shot a 3/4" 3 shot group sick.. He's an aerospace engineer and begged me to sell this thing to him after firing it. He also made me shoot that load over his chrono because he thought it would show some good numbers. I think the SD was 9 or something like that. His chrono is way fancier than mine and it was an eye opener. I'm thinking this thing will still shoot good with this micky wink

3/4" while sitting... cool cool

How's the hunting going...? Are you seeing anything out there?

Eric

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.