Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Has anyone tried one? I have a Rhino and love it but looking at the Honda it is narrower and it has to be quitter than my Rhino. Not sure of its climbing ability with the 500 engine.

GB2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've been thinking about getting one, climbing isn't a major issue where I am.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a Kawasaki Mule 610 XC this summer. 2 inches wider and 6 inches longer than the Honda, but it has a dump bed. Slightly smaller engine, top speed governed at 25, which is fine for my uses.

Don't know what the Honda costs but the Mule was about $8k out the door and so far (only have 13 hours on it) it's built like a tank

I put a Yutrax jump seat in the bed, which has been great with the kids. I also towed a 5x8' trailer with 4 people, coolers and gear in it plus 2 more in the Mule on the work day we had at my farm a few weeks ago and it did great

As a plus, the mule fits in the 5x8' trailer so the honda would too

Edited to add: my farm has very few steep hills and is at low elevation. If higher elevation or more hills you'd want some more power

Last edited by ShortMagFan; 09/07/14.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought one the first week they came out and love it. I put 26" radials on it and wish I had went with 28's as this thing has some power. You can take off in 2nd gear. A really neat machine.. I have a 2010 Honda Big Red and this Pioneer is more agile and more like riding a 4 wheeler in the woods. Get one .. you wont be disappointed ... (I have owned a mule.. and 3 Rhinos also) We use UTV's every day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We looked at one about 3 weeks ago, it's probably the narrowest of the side by sides out there but whomever designed the damn thing, didn't put any kind of protection on the front end.

I'd take my Rhino over this new 500 any day but the 700, now that's a different story. I just finished up a week long moose hunt with some buddies and one of them had the Pioneer 700. He had lots of issues with it since buying it new and finally got the dealership to fix it. It has a lot of ground clearance and I actually like the bench seat and how the cab is setup along with the half doors. It does need a rear bumper and some better protection for the front as well.

He had a half windshield, roof, 26" Zillas, a winch installed on it and I think he paid $13k for it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
had my Rhino since 06. Has yet to let me down. Think I'll just keep it.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know what kind of protection people think they need on the front end of a UTV.. We hunt in a lot of clear cuts and have never destroyed a radiator.. I have ridden this 500 for a while and you couldn't trade me 3 Rhinos for it (I have had 3 Rhinos..a mule, and still have a Big Red) I had so much trouble out of Rhinos (I was a Yamaha salesman for a while) one 660 was so bad the dealership bought it back and I bought a new 700 Rhino.. which broke a front axle and I still haven't figured out how as I am not a mudrider. This 500 Pioneer is not what you want to buy to use as a farm vehicle or a mudblaster. It is a great UTV to use to get thru tight woods and is fun riding. What surprises me is how much room is in the cab..my dad and I used it today to fill feeders and check stands... my dog even rode between us and we never felt crowded. Neat lil UTV. Surprised how powerful it is also. Please don't think I am bashing Rhinos as this Pioneer 500 want handle one in the mud.. but in the woods I will take the Pioneer. That manual tranny is neat.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I drove one and it seems like quite a good machine. Talked to a fellow who has one and has also owned a Rhino in the past. He likes it as it is quitter than the Rhino, brakes don't squeal like the Rhino and it sees pretty nimble around in the woods and trail. Those are the pros. The cons are the front end does not lock up like the Rhino so he feels in extreme country it will not climb like the Rhino. He also feels the Rhino is built tougher but there is one heck of a price difference between the two. To each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southarkrob
I don't know what kind of protection people think they need on the front end of a UTV.. We hunt in a lot of clear cuts and have never destroyed a radiator.. I have ridden this 500 for a while and you couldn't trade me 3 Rhinos for it (I have had 3 Rhinos..a mule, and still have a Big Red) I had so much trouble out of Rhinos (I was a Yamaha salesman for a while) one 660 was so bad the dealership bought it back and I bought a new 700 Rhino.. which broke a front axle and I still haven't figured out how as I am not a mudrider. This 500 Pioneer is not what you want to buy to use as a farm vehicle or a mudblaster. It is a great UTV to use to get thru tight woods and is fun riding. What surprises me is how much room is in the cab..my dad and I used it today to fill feeders and check stands... my dog even rode between us and we never felt crowded. Neat lil UTV. Surprised how powerful it is also. Please don't think I am bashing Rhinos as this Pioneer 500 want handle one in the mud.. but in the woods I will take the Pioneer. That manual tranny is neat.

How do you like the paddle shifter? With a little work, I'd bet that little 500 could be made to handle anything a guy could throw at it.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just want one to run down to the little bar on the river about 1 mile from the house.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I just want one to run down to the little bar on the river about 1 mile from the house.

Would be great for that...almost as good as a bicycle with gopro attached. wink

I need to go take a look at one of these. Appreciate hearing from those that have used one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If you were to buy one, I can pretty much guarantee you'll end up using it for other than bar runs.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like the paddle shifters.. also being a manual.. this thing is so low geared that you can take off in 2nd.. I cruise the gas lines and trails in 3rd or 4th.. I really don't think not being able to lock the front end up on it is going to be a big problem. I have yet to have to lock it in.. it is neat. We used to hog hunt off of UTV's (have since went to an Argo 8x8) and this thing would be awesome for that. I bought the second Rhino that hit our town and it was a good rig.. but I don't think it can go in the woods like this pioneer (not talking mud.. but getting thru tight sections. I hopefully will be able to put some blood on the back of it this weekend.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How much narrower is it than the Rhino? My Rhino is 8" narrower than the Mule I owned and even more than that from the diesel Gator I had. I did very little to the 4wheeler trails on my property to be able to get the Rhino on all of them.
Is the Honda more like a AC Scrambler? I haul a good bit of firewood down out of the mountains currently and the Rhino handles it well.
4" narrower than my Rhino but no dump bed.

Last edited by Raeford; 10/07/14. Reason: watched YouTube on Pioneer

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's 50" compared to 54" for the Rhino. I'll still take my Rhino over the 500 but that 700 Pioneer is a sweet machine.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm with you. If I was in the market for more of a toy, this would be it. But I need both options-toy and work and for that it seems that the Rhino is the best all around.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You cant buy a Rhino anymore.. all they make now is the Viking..they also make a 4 seater Viking now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Shows how out of the market I am. Knew about the Viking, but didn't know the Rhino was gone.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can hang on until next spring, word is that Yamaha will be coming out with a new model sxs more in the lines of the Rhino/RZR/Commander line of thinking.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
614 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.