Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I used to get them from B Square but don't see them listed. Any help for pre '64 availability would be appreciated.
Thanks

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

P
PSH Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Last set I got came from either Brownells or Midway. I went with SS for my application, but believe they had both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok. Dumb question: what is the advantage in hex head screws. Thx.

P
PSH Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by southtexas

Only real reason I went with them is they "looked hot" for what I was doing. Just cleaner looking, and less chance of accidentally messing up the screw head.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are nice, but may look a little out of place on a pre 64 model 70, unless it's wearing an updated stock like a micky blush. They are also nice because of the positive engagement between fastener and tool: less likely to slip off the fastener and damage the stock. Don't ask me how I know that whistle. I've always bought mine, for the classics, at brownell's....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are nice, but may look a little out of place on a pre 64 model 70, unless it's wearing an updated stock like a micky blush. They are also nice because of the positive engagement between fastener and tool: less likely to slip off the fastener and damage the stock. Don't ask me how I know that whistle. I've always bought mine, for the classics, at brownell's....

Bingo! The first time I slipped a slotted screw and dinged the head I was peaved to say the least..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's called a learning experience grin.. I still run factory screws on all of my pre 64's, I'm just real careful when taking them out and tightening them up.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bingo! The first time I slipped a slotted screw and dinged the head I was peaved to say the least..

No chit, a sheet of sandpaper on a glass top to scrub all the boggers off then a trip to the Smith for a re-blue. mad

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
This is for a Micky application on a Fwt.. Much simpler in the field and at home to use hex heads. No slip guarantee even with a small wrench. Ok, I"ll check the two companies again but didn't see them there earlier today.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Use them on my FWT's that wear Micky's. Not sure where I purchased them but, I believe that it was Brownell's. B Square Safariland....Part # STW70, Part ID 1010278.
Safariland.com lists them as in stock for $7.92 pkg. of 3.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

They are now used to hold together "better rifles".....you know, cheaper to make. sick

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Slavek

They are now used to hold together "better rifles".....you know, cheaper to make. sick

If you mean the bolts are cheaper to make I don't know about that but I bet they're a lot easier to assemble a gun with versus a slotted screw.

I think they look out of place on a classic but on a modern M70 I prefer them in regards to looks. I would prefer all bolts to have the heads aligned parrellel to the bore but I know that's not going to happen on any production rifle nowadays.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Use a hollow ground screw driver that fits...

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Pocono, I'll check into it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

It's been mentioned, sort of....but fumble fingered, ham fisted Neanderthals like me can't bugger them up... blush

My pre 64 FW 270 in the McMillan Edge has them. I got mine from Brownell's and have another set......somewhere.....as a "spare" set.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey Bob, I could use a set on my old 270. It's kind of plain looking without them laugh....:

[Linked Image]

Those slotted screws make this rifle look hideous!!! whistle

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I like them for use with one piece bottom metal: torque action in, shoot and hunt, remove action after rainy day and oil it up, replace action using torque settings as noted. Also good for traveling with rifle broken down in a small case. The hex head screws withstand wear better than the slotted screws, in my experience.

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/10/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just ordered a set of the B-Squares from Brownells today. They were 6.00 I think. Hoping to get the McMillan put on the rifle this weekend.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I just ordered a set of the B-Squares from Brownells today. They were 6.00 I think. Hoping to get the McMillan put on the rifle this weekend.

Post some pics after you get her on the rifle... I'll be bedding my new stock tomorrow!!! wink

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Much easier to find a straight "screw driver" (AKA knife or a fork/spoon handle, etc.) than an Allen wrench in the boonies. I won't use a hex. JME.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.