-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Can a loaded pack goat even hope to keep up with a walking horse?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NO. Because the horse, being a horse and neurotic and all, will spook at the sight of the goat thinking it is some demon from horse hell assigned to suck the flesh off of living horse skeletons. This will result in the horse running at full speed away from the goat, necessitating numerous surgeries to repair person that was just riding the horse.

In my limited experience with goats, the goats will not concern themselves one whit with the horse's actions, nor the poor condition of the "rider" who was just seated upon the horse. Rather, the goat will entertain himself with the first tasty weed in range and take joy as he relishes his new found tasty delicacy.

It is unlikely at that point that the goat will choose to follow the horse and combined with the fact the rider is unconscious upon the ground...

...the question becomes irrelevant.

Anyway. I don't know. Back to original intent of the OP so goat people chime in.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Obviously a charter member of Horse Lovers United. grin

I don't think a loaded goat could possibly keep up but I thought I'd ask.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Personally, I doubt it. I've seen horses carry quarters pretty briskly. However, I also watch horse owners spend a lot of time on other items. In terms of shear minimal hassle and speed, nothing beets your own two legs.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There is a lot of variability in horse walking speed. I've had horses that needed cueing to maintain the speed I wanted. My favoritest horse ever, Ruby the wonder horse, would walk other horses to a lather.

She took 25 minutes off of a 3:50 trail one time. The other horses were puffing like locomotives. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ummm.. will you actually be "racking" the walker or just "walking the walker...

However, common sense will lead you to look at the stride of each animal and make sense of it... ;-)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.