Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Tactical Lever;
Welcome to the 'Fire from across the tall hills to the west of you sir.

The writer in question is Brian Pearce and if I recall right the original article he wrote about the hunt was published in a Wolfe magazine - Rifle, Handloader or Successful Hunter - but can't recall just which now.

Though he has/had Winchester/Browning '86 rifles in .45-70, I want to say it was a Marlin that he took to Africa, whether a Guide Gun or not though escapes me right now - sorry.

The bullets might have been hard cast lead too???

Anyway if I run into either the original article or more memory somewhere I'll post it up here.

Again welcome to the 'Fire and all the best to you on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I got the story a little mixed up, but it was done with a Marlin 45-70 (as the guys say). Pretty sure it was the Guide Gun version. You are correct on the author. The bullet did pass through 4 shoulders(!) and was recovered under the offside skin.

The short version (I think) was found in Nosler #6. Unlikely that the Noslers were used, as all they seem to have is a not too hard RNSP in 300 gr.

I tend to believe the other fellow that is saying it was a cast 405. A good alloyed FN is pretty much the best monolithic whistle for the job....

You have a great season, too.

I see we have a couple things in common...

Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Marlins certainly are capably of taking optics, if one wishes.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by GRF
Thanks again gentlemen.

Tactical Lever; welcome, from "just down the road"

GRF

Thanks! From just up the road... crazy 5 or so hours IIRC. Crazy thing is a couple guys drive up here to work!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by jwp475

I believe the bullet that Brain used was a jacketed solid if memory serves. In the old days a lot of Cape buffalo were taken cleanly with a 405 Winchester with 300 grain bullets.

yeah but no one really considered it ideal, hell Roosevelt who was a Winchester slut quickly regulated his 405 to lion duty due to the piss poor performance of a 300 grain 405 load as far as penetration....

Well it might not be a 45-70, but it is certainly nothing in which to stick the incautious finger! A cape buffalo is one of the few animals where the penetration might fall on the short side. Maybe. And that can be improved with a 350 gr. bullet.

I believe Roosevelt relegated his .405 for his favourite lion cartridge. Not to mean it was barely adequate for anything tougher.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im a full blown Africa nut as anyone thats talked books with me knows, ive got around 100 volumes on hunting in Africa on the shelves.....im not one to pick and choose guys that made my point....if i look over my collection as a whole, with the exception of guys like Baker and Selous who bridged the blackpowder/smokeless eras most anyone that spent any real time hunting over there did not go from larger calibers to smaller....just about everyone that started with lighter or rounds like the 405 decided to go heavier, more often than not cause they had some critter put holes in their hide....

i have no doubt that most of the time a 45-70 with heavy loads or a 405 Win with the right bullets will do you well, especially if you throat that 405 to seat out 400 grain bullets...hell i wouldnt hesitate if offered to hunt with them but the fact is they are on the low end of adequate for critters that will kill you if given the chance.....and they would not be my choice if i was facing these critters without backup...

well other than i always thought for someone used to a lever gun a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 stoked with warm 300 grain hollow points might make a damn effective gun for following up leopard....

Last edited by rattler; 09/07/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by GRF
Are the ballistics of the .470 Turnbull suitable for Cape Buffalo? Below are from Turnbull's website.
400 g at 1850 fps, 450 g at 1725 fps

Thanks again

GRF

Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps.

This advice is baloney.

A .375 at 2500 fps is plenty as is a 450 grain from a .458 at 2200 fps. I once broke a buff's front shoulder with a Texas heart shot from the latter load.

Three caveats: (1) Make sure your PH approves of the Turnbull before you go over and (2) you want a stiff soft point for the first shot, solids for the follow-on shots. (3) Some countries, like Zimbabwe, have minimum energy requirements. Make sure the Turnbull qualifies. I suspect it does.

Flat point solids are best but make sure the lever gun will feed them. Some Model 70s will not.

The biggest disadvantage of a lever gun for buffalo is that it probably does not wear a scope. Nowadays you need a scope to pick out vital parts of the buff in the bush. See Boddington's book. He says you're at a 40% disadvantage with any iron sights.

Personally I think the .375 is a better choice because you will see other game, some of it at relatively long range, while trailing buffs. A shot 500 yards away from buffs does not seem to spook them.

Most guys put scopes on their Marlins. I know I can't use irons worth crap.

I like the idea of a fast handling lever for dangerous game. Always wanted to go after something really big with mine.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I believe the bullet that Brain used was a jacketed solid if memory serves. In the old days a lot of Cape buffalo were taken cleanly with a 405 Winchester with 300 grain bullets.

yeah but no one really considered it ideal, hell Roosevelt who was a Winchester slut quickly regulated his 405 to lion duty due to the piss poor performance of a 300 grain 405 load as far as penetration....

Osa Johnson used a 405 Winchester to kill 2 or 3 Cape buffalo and turned the heard as she protected her husband as he filmed the charge.

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

If it works then it works pure and simple.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
im a full blown Africa nut as anyone thats talked books with me knows, ive got around 100 volumes on hunting in Africa on the shelves.....im not one to pick and choose guys that made my point....if i look over my collection as a whole, with the exception of guys like Baker and Selous who bridged the blackpowder/smokeless eras most anyone that spent any real time hunting over there did not go from larger calibers to smaller....just about everyone that started with lighter or rounds like the 405 decided to go heavier, more often than not cause they had some critter put holes in their hide....

i have no doubt that most of the time a 45-70 with heavy loads or a 405 Win with the right bullets will do you well, especially if you throat that 405 to seat out 400 grain bullets...hell i wouldnt hesitate if offered to hunt with them but the fact is they are on the low end of adequate for critters that will kill you if given the chance.....and they would not be my choice if i was facing these critters without backup...

well other than i always thought for someone used to a lever gun a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 stoked with warm 300 grain hollow points might make a damn effective gun for following up leopard....

I would have no qualms (well maybe, just the usual ones) about going after heavy game with a hot loaded 45-70. There are calibers that offer more foot pounds, more momentum, more diameter, and heavier bullets. Not a whole lot of them can offer the speed of handling and follow up shots though. Not to mention topping up the mag without dropping or opening anything.

You'll have to refresh my memory; did Karamojo Bell switch to a heavy gun? Of course he killed more heavy game before getting his pants on than most of us will in a lifetime.

For a leopard that's a heavy gun. If I was going to follow one up, I think I would want something I could shoot even quicker, or a buckshot load.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Osa Johnson used a 405 Winchester to kill 2 or 3 Cape buffalo and turned the heard as she protected her husband as he filmed the charge.

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

If it works then it works pure and simple.

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tactical_Lever

I would have no qualms (well maybe, just the usual ones) about going after heavy game with a hot loaded 45-70. There are calibers that offer more foot pounds, more momentum, more diameter, and heavier bullets. Not a whole lot of them can offer the speed of handling and follow up shots though. Not to mention topping up the mag without dropping or opening anything.

You'll have to refresh my memory; did Karamojo Bell switch to a heavy gun? Of course he killed more heavy game before getting his pants on than most of us will in a lifetime.

For a leopard that's a heavy gun. If I was going to follow one up, I think I would want something I could shoot even quicker, or a buckshot load.

yeah bell went somewhat heavier but how he hunted elephant also changed.....a large part of the reason he used light rifles was how he hunted which is alot different than how its done today or even towards the end of his career....

like i said in a normal modern safari i wouldnt mind hunting with a hot loaded 45-70 if it was handed to me, but its not the gun i would choose if i was to swap places with the PH and my job became body guard over hunter.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by GRF
Are the ballistics of the .470 Turnbull suitable for Cape Buffalo? Below are from Turnbull's website.

Thanks again

GRF

Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps.

This advice is baloney.

A .375 at 2500 fps is plenty as is a 450 grain from a .458 at 2200 fps. I once broke a buff's front shoulder with a Texas heart shot from the latter load.

Three caveats: (1) Make sure your PH approves of the Turnbull before you go over and (2) you want a stiff soft point for the first shot, solids for the follow-on shots. (3) Some countries, like Zimbabwe, have minimum energy requirements. Make sure the Turnbull qualifies. I suspect it does.

Flat point solids are best but make sure the lever gun will feed them. Some Model 70s will not.

The biggest disadvantage of a lever gun for buffalo is that it probably does not wear a scope. Nowadays you need a scope to pick out vital parts of the buff in the bush. See Boddington's book. He says you're at a 40% disadvantage with any iron sights.

Personally I think the .375 is a better choice because you will see other game, some of it at relatively long range, while trailing buffs. A shot 500 yards away from buffs does not seem to spook them.

IndyCA35,

My apologies for expecting anyone to read between the lines in my first post. It should be noted that I said "Generally speaking, I think you will find that most folks will say you need 500 grs. at 2,150 to 2,400 fps".

I was expecting this the go the way of The-.45/70-Doesn't-Belong-In-Africa argument, regardless of the success experienced by some who chose to use the .45/70 in Africa.

The quote below in my second post is my opinion and reflects your first caveat as well as your recommendation of FP bullets.

If you want to use the .470 TB, do it. Just make sure your PH is OK with it and use North Fork Cup Point Solids or Flat Point Solids. Both of those come in 500 gr. If you ask John he might make you some 450 gr.

Shot placement is everything.

You might also want to read Pierre van der Walt's thoughts on iron verses optics. While he does concede that optics are useful, especially with aging eyes and first shot placement, he makes a compelling argument for iron sights and dangerous game considering the range most DG is taken.

I only have one buffalo hunt under my belt so the following is only from my perspective based on extremely limited experience.

Regarding the use of a scoped rifle and taking other game while hunting buffalo, no other game was even considered so long as buffalo were in sight regardless of range. To forgo buffalo for any other game never came to mind so the use of a scoped rifle was never an issue.

For a one gun safari, the scoped .375 may be considered by some as ideal, but the OP was about whether a .470 Turnbull was adequate for buffalo, and in my opinion it is. Prior to the acquisition of the rifle I took to Africa, my choice was an 1895 Marlin in .45/70, and it will probably go along next time.

By the way, my first shot on buffalo was with a solid and it worked splendidly, against all recommendations. If I had it all to do over again, would I use a solid first? You bet, but not just any solid.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Use your Guide Gun with the Garrett ammunition and don't look back. Your 45-70 with that ammo will out penetrate the 470.

Sharpsguy,

I have read your posts in the past and respect you. As I understand you put a lot of time and effort in shooting. IIRC you hunted Africa with iron sites and took animals at something like 500 yards, impressive.

This is one time I have to diagree with you. I performed quite a bit of testing similar to Garret's. I was very methodical and tried to be as consistant as possible.

I also read Garret's test and my results were quite a bit different.

With a 458 Lott I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and 3 two by sixes. The bullets were exiting.

With my 470 I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and the bullet would stop in the second two by six.

These test were performed with North Fork FN solids.

I also shot reduced loads with different bullets in the 470. IIRC the velocity went as low as 1600 FPS. Penetration was less on the lower velocities.

A video from one of the tests.

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/th_M4H011532.mp4[/img]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GRF
Gentlemen; I had enquired a while back about the .375 H&H rifles I was considering purchasing should I be able to conclude a certain price of business which would allow me to head off for cape buffalo in 2016. My rational was that it would have more versatility than a .416 before and after the cape buffalo hunt.

I have had a marlin guide gun for over a decade and really like having a "large" lever gun. Converting the rifle to .470 Turnbull would give me a bigger bullet for cape buffalo and fill my ongoing " need" of a large lever gun.

Thanks again

GRF

IMO the 470 Turnbull is adequate, as is the 45-70, however I feel there are much better choices. If you like the lever gun have you considered the 475 Turnbull?

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence as to which round is better or even adequate. Hunt with what makes you happy, you are paying the ticket.

I have shot nine buffalo with no backup shots using a .375 H&H, 416 Rem. and 470 Nitro. Two DRT with the 470, and the one that required the most shots was also with the 470. All worked fine, as I am sure many other rounds would have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Use your Guide Gun with the Garrett ammunition and don't look back. Your 45-70 with that ammo will out penetrate the 470.

Sharpsguy,

I have read your posts in the past and respect you. As I understand you put a lot of time and effort in shooting. IIRC you hunted Africa with iron sites and took animals at something like 500 yards, impressive.

This is one time I have to diagree with you. I performed quite a bit of testing similar to Garret's. I was very methodical and tried to be as consistant as possible.

I also read Garret's test and my results were quite a bit different.

With a 458 Lott I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and 3 two by sixes. The bullets were exiting.

With my 470 I was shooting through 72" of wet newsprint and the bullet would stop in the second two by six.

These test were performed with North Fork FN solids.

I also shot reduced loads with different bullets in the 470. IIRC the velocity went as low as 1600 FPS. Penetration was less on the lower velocities.

A video from one of the tests.

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/th_M4H011532.mp4[/img]

Mike70560,

Thanks for posting your test results. Interesting video as well.

John Linebaugh used to do similar penetration tests during his seminars, the results of which can be seen in the Linebaugh Test Results. He used the same media, although a bit different setup as there were no boards, but large bovine bone set behind the first 6-8" of the soaked news print in some of the tests.

It is interesting to note some handgun loads penetrated more than some rifles.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
According to Turnbull's website the .475 does not fit well n the Marlin action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GRF,

If you like the Marlin and want to use it for Cape buffalo, send it off and have it converted. If you don't, you will always regret it and will most likely have it done in the future anyway.

I'm way too close to 60 and have to wear glasses. I shot buffalo, warthog, blue wildebeest, zebra, and baboon all with open sights without a problem. Bow hunters routinely take African game at close range. But with a Marlin, adding optics isn't an issue.

If you are going to Africa to experience Africa, have the best time of your life, and fulfill the dream of a lifetime, take the .470 TB. If you are going with a list of animals you have to take and that is your main goal, use something else with a bolt and scope.

Is the .470 TB an ideal buffalo round? No. Will it kill a buffalo? Yes.

The best reason to use a .470 TB on buffalo is because you want to use one on buffalo.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the Ruger #1's in .475:

[Linked Image]

A few folks got to shoot it at our Quemado gathering, and no one seemed disabled by the gun. smile

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9163293#Post9163293

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat,

How did you manage to catch the cat licking it's chops while staring at your rifle? Looks a bit odd.

Got to shoot that once and wish I had shot it some more. Dang accurate. Trigger pull was a bit surprising, but it should be.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pure dumb luck; she has a knack for making ridiculous faces with a camera around.

After I work up the heavies, I'll see about some cast bullet loads, including the ones you kindly gave me. Although it can approach a .470 Nitro in power I suspect long term I'll run lighter loads in it. I have some 275gr Speers that were intended for the .480 Ruger. I imagine they could make ludicrous speed out of the #1 grin

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
GRF,

If you like the Marlin and want to use it for Cape buffalo, send it off and have it converted. If you don't, you will always regret it and will most likely have it done in the future anyway.

I'm way too close to 60 and have to wear glasses. I shot buffalo, warthog, blue wildebeest, zebra, and baboon all with open sights without a problem. Bow hunters routinely take African game at close range. But with a Marlin, adding optics isn't an issue.

If you are going to Africa to experience Africa, have the best time of your life, and fulfill the dream of a lifetime, take the .470 TB. If you are going with a list of animals you have to take and that is your main goal, use something else with a bolt and scope.

Is the .470 TB an ideal buffalo round? No. Will it kill a buffalo? Yes.

The best reason to use a .470 TB on buffalo is because you want to use one on buffalo.

Good answer. Why does anyone pick any rifle, or cartridge. 90% of the time, its just cause it floats yer' boat.

I do have a question on the custom chambered levers, though. What are they designed to handle, pressure wise? And why is a the .470 appear to come in under the capability of a 45-70 with a stiff handload, when it has a greater surface area in the base of the bullet to push against? Is the hoop area thinned out too much to handle the pressures that would be acceptable in 45-70?

I would think not, as the .50 Alaskan seems to be a step up on the power scale.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.