Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the Ruger #1's in .475:

[Linked Image]

A few folks got to shoot it at our Quemado gathering, and no one seemed disabled by the gun. smile

Here's a thread on it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9163293#Post9163293

That wouldn't be a Pavlovian response to that rifle shooting pest/snacks for your kitty would it?

I think that the 275 gr. might be kind of wild for that!

Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'm betting a revolver bullet at 3000 fps would thoroughly tenderize snacks for her smile Though she never really eats anything but kibbles. The one time she & her housemate caught a lizard, they seemed content to play with it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by jwp475

Osa Johnson used a 405 Winchester to kill 2 or 3 Cape buffalo and turned the heard as she protected her husband as he filmed the charge.

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

If it works then it works pure and simple.
[/quote]

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint.... [/quote]

I have read a ton and yes it is that simple. I have also killed a hell ova lot of game and if the correct bullet is used that penetrates through the vitals then critters die. It really is that simple. A bad bullet in a 458 Lott creates major problems but a good bullet in say a 405 win works. As long as the bullets is placed correctly but that goes for any and all cartridges.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have read a ton and yes it is that simple. I have also killed a hell ova lot of game and if the correct bullet is used that penetrates through the vitals then critters die. It really is that simple. A bad bullet in a 458 Lott creates major problems but a good bullet in say a 405 win works. As long as the bullets is placed correctly but that goes for any and all cartridges.

JWP, I know where you are from and you expect me to believe you can read a book. grin

You are absolutely correct about the bullets. I can make a 45-70 out penetrate a Lott easily and vice versa. I still like bigger, especially on elephant. Shot placement and bullets!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

and Wally Johnson used a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for lions for years....just cause it can work does not mean its the best tool for the job....

If it works then it works pure and simple.

if you actually read very much on African hunting it aint that simple, hence the reason most toss the small stuff for larger if they do it long enough, eventually just good enough gets you in the hospital if your lucky or the grave if you aint.... [/quote]

[/quote]

how much of the game is the kind that bites back? there is a difference....fair number of people out there dead or with holes in their hide cause their just good enough chambering took a few seconds to long to kill a critter, especially those chasing lions and elephant....difference between a lion dieing now and succumbing 20 seconds from now from the shot can mean a long hospital stay if your lucky, a funeral if your not....

like i said what im willing to use with a PH backing me up is alot different than if i was in the PH's shoes.....there are times when just good enough really isnt

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JD Jones killed many a buffalo, both Cape and the Aussie versions with his .375 JDJ "hand canon". He told me he got about 1900 fps out of a 270 solid and 24" of penetration in an elephant skull was not a problem. Broadside shots on Cape buffalo and Aussie banteng penetrated completely.

So a 400 grain solid at 1800 fps or so will certainly kill a Cape buffalo. I killed a Cape buffalo with a 9.3 JDJ shooting a 270 grain Barnes X. Worked just fine. One shot kill. After the fact, I consider it a stunt and caution others from pulling stunts on dangerous game. Hunting Cape buffalo with a bow is a stunt. I shot a NW Red buffalo in Cameroon with a .45WM out of a carbine. 240 monolithic flat point penetrated fine and did the job. That is a stunt. It was fun, but if anything went wrong, I'd have wanted my .450/400 in my hand.

If your PH will agree to let you hunt with the Turnbull, and you are itching to try it, go ahead, but know it is a stunt and a .375 H&H is a better choice..

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Experience speaks volumes. Spot on...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

how much of the game is the kind that bites back? there is a difference....fair number of people out there dead or with holes in their hide cause their just good enough chambering took a few seconds to long to kill a critter, especially those chasing lions and elephant....difference between a lion dieing now and succumbing 20 seconds from now from the shot can mean a long hospital stay if your lucky, a funeral if your not....

like i said what im willing to use with a PH backing me up is alot different than if i was in the PH's shoes.....there are times when just good enough really isnt

Oh a few would bite back the bear and moose on the left I shot with a revolver hit them both well and they both hit the ground. Not that difficult.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the books you might want to read is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, in it he has a list of British hunters through the 1970's i believe, maybe the early 80's that went after lion with chamberings 'just good enough' and didnt make it cause of failing to stop the animal with a hit that wasnt perfect....in some of the cases the lion expired within seconds of killing the person....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of the books you might want to read is 'Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa' by John Kingsley-Heath, in it he has a list of British hunters through the 1970's i believe, maybe the early 80's that went after lion with chamberings 'just good enough' and didnt make it cause of failing to stop the animal with a hit that wasnt perfect....in some of the cases the lion expired within seconds of killing the person....

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course you ignore the hunters that didn't make that choose so called acceptable chamberings because their hits were not perfect. Again a quality bullet that is placed properly penetrating through the vitals equals dead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and if you have hunted as much as you say you should realize chit doesnt go perfect every time, which is why nearly everyone thats been over there long term eventually went heavier, not lighter....perfection does not exist outside of small sample sizes...if you have a PH backing you up you have just that back up if chit goes squirrelly but if your the PH you sure in the hell dont want something just adiquate for those times it does....

and perfectly hit does not mean dead right now when you are talking critters like cape buffalo....once their adrenalin is up even with destroyed hearts they can and have caused serious damage before finally dropping.....

and before you say just make sure your first shot is perfect on unmolested animals which im sure is gonna be your next post, in the last couple years atleast two different PH's have been killed by buff coming out of nowhere taken out by buff that were wounded by poachers or lions that had their adrenalin up before anyone knew they were there....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Rattler I have hunted my entire life and I am now 63 years old I know exactly it goes and have learned through much experience. Go sell this crap to some one else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im guessing i havent shot as many critters as you, but even i have seen odd chit, ive blown out a mule deers doe heart witha gun shooting 1 grain of bullet weight per pound of critter at a couple hundred under 3000fps stand around for 30 seconds like nothing happened....when i cut her open her chest cavity was chunky soup....take that up to a 1500 pound critter and shooting alot less than 1 grain per pound of critter weight...a cape can do alot in that 30 seconds and there are plenty of times they have....if you say other wise you aint as well read on Africa as you say.....

no where have i said that these rounds will not kill critters and do so cleanly, but swap places and you are no longer the hunter with backup, you are the backup and they no longer make sense.......far more PH's agree with me than you.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is there anything else you're book learned on that you would like to educate the fire on rattler?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
beats just making chit up like some do.....jwp has formed his opinion from a couple books on Africa, ive formed mine on closer to 100 books on Africa and chatting with people that have shot a hell of alot more game over there than me....hell hatari said the same thing as me and he has BTDT....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So jwp's opinions as stated on here are based on a couple books on Africa, got it.

And since you've read a bunch of books on Africa, naturally you are more learned and wise. got it.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no i just actually got something out of them other than a couple of anecdotes.....which is what TRH does.....i could pull paragraphs or individual books to prove any point i want, instead i read a hundred opinions and noticed some commonalities in the majority....

anyone can read a book and parrot back, TRH is the king of this....critical thinking requires more.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ah, so you read a bunch of books, noted the opinions therein, and formulated your own opinion based on the opinion of others as stated in the books.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ahh so your one of those that unless you do it yourself you dont know chit.....hope you never need a doc in an emergency room for anything but the standard chit....

and BTW thats just what jwp did except he only read people that agreed with him....i can give you a hand ful of people ive read that agree with him, but there is a reason the majority that BTDT dont.....

after all a critter thats dead on its feet from a good shot but not dead cant do any harm can it? smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (338Rules, 12344mag, 35, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,470
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.