Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Elmer ,you were right.The 270 sucks!!!!Huntz frown

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since Mule Deer and I are about the same age, I hope he never gets the chance to deliver that message while I'm alive. eek

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But Jack was so sure it was the ultimate go to cartridge.....am I disappointed......

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Huntz

This is not news.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And Obama is a white boy in the Klan! smirk

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Elmer was right...it is a damned adequate coyote rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Boy
But Jack was so sure it was the ultimate go to cartridge.....am I disappointed......

Not exactly , Jack admitted that the 30-06 was a better all around cartridge than the 270.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm really agast!!! a 30-06!!! I'm going back to my 7x57.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Elmer was an azz.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Elmer forgot more about guns than most people ever know....

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

There was a lot about guns that Elmer refused to learn.

Elmer was stuck back in the 1800s with his big bore rifles.

....but then I guess he needed big bore guns & his 17 gallon hat to make up for his size 6 boots.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
6mm, You have obviously never been to Ovando or the Salmon River country. Muddy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
22, your right.. Elmer was one of a kind.. when you look at his achievements in the shooting world his peers cannot hold a candle to him...

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it weren't for Elmer, we wouldn't have the 357 & .44 Mag.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
22, your right.. Elmer was one of a kind.. when you look at his achievements in the shooting world his peers cannot hold a candle to him...

Like taking 600 yard shots w/ a revolver at moving elk, and generally pissing on others in the same profession.

EK contributed tons, was legendary in his experience, but that doesnt change that he was basically a small, angry little douchbag.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You dip, it wasn't a long shot on an elk, but a deer.. I can tell you, you may run your mouth now, but you would never tell Keith that to his face.. I think you are describing yourself...

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You dip, it wasn't a long shot on an elk, but a deer..

I can tell you, you may run your mouth now, but you would never tell Keith that to his face.. I think you are describing yourself...

A deer. Ah crap, that changes everything.

And you can put the projection card away. Its no news flash that he was angry and bitter about his burns and size.

You like him. I get it. You arent alone. No shame.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I seriously doubt that any of the other writers that Elmer may have pissed off ever challenged him to a gunfight wink He was a badass shot with a handgun !

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/06/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Like taking 600 yard shots w/ a revolver at moving elk, and generally pissing on others in the same profession.

EK contributed tons, was legendary in his experience, but that doesnt change that he was basically a small, angry little douchbag.

Every time someone mentions EK a lot of folks get all stirred up about him. I suggest you read this thread, especially the 7th post on the first page from someone who actually knew him:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4631332/1

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I can tell you, you may run your mouth now, but you would never tell Keith that to his face.. I think you are describing yourself...

And you can put the projection card away. Its no news flash that he was angry and bitter about his burns and size.

So what made you so angry that you feel the need to call someone you never met names?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Elmer was right...it is a damned adequate coyote rifle.

This is funny, especially on a forum with so many fast twist 22 caliber supporters...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
comes down to it, doesnt much matter if you listened to Kieth or O'Conner and followed either ones advice you would kill a pile of critters.....no single answer to killing an animal....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm reading "Hell, I was There!" now - it's a very interesting read indeed. If there were more than one of him anywhere, I'd surely like to read his books as well.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
contributed tons, was legendary in his experience, but that doesn't change that he was basically a small, angry little douchbag.

I have no dog in the EK argument, and will only say I disagree with him on the adequate coyote statement.

The quote above kind of reminds me of another on this forum.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntz,

You might be interested in an article that will be appearing in HANDLOADER in 6-8 weeks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had an article published back in the 80's called "Who won the cartridge debate" and concluded there was no debate towards the end because both and all were using high velocity rounds, the only difference being the bullets weights being used with same results on same game being achieved.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've often wondered if it was the disparate personalities of Keith and O'Connor that fueled the debate as much as the cartridges they eschewed. It seems obvious that since both men were extremely accomplished hunters with their desired equipment, arguing that one's choice was somehow 'better', or more capable, or more appropriate than that of the other is absurd.

Yeah, I see it more as two separate camps of personality devotees. It looks like that part of outdoor writing is long gone, as there are so many gun writers now, and very few reach the status that would allow for such devotion/division.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever consider that magazine editors pushed the debate to keep or gain readership, and that O'Connor and Keith actually got along?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There was a 3rd entity called Weatherby. Maybe this blended the two because Keith finished his career with truncated Weatherby cases and velicites in the .270 range after all.

I am re-reading JO'C's "The Hunting Rifle" at present and he was extremely comfortable with his opinions and status as he saw it, within the writing community. I am ok with that but also enjoy much of Keith's work.

I don't think most would agree with everything said but as long as you get something out of it even if it is something that strengthens your own opinion, that's ok too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I certainly didn't know either Keith or O'Connor. I have read several books that each man wrote and greatly admire them both.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think JOC theories about rifles with stood the test of time more than Keiths.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Who even cares? I have never bought a rifle and shot any game or targets with that gun because of what I read in some magazine or book. The sad thing is that no cartridge will live or die by it's merits alone, most likely it's survival is due to perception of printed media more than actual validation in the field...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
^^^^^This exactly.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
If it weren't for Elmer, we wouldn't have the 357 & .44 Mag.

Mostly true. Totally true in making them commercialized.

I wish it was written more on how EK and Lyman went back and
forth on bullet mould designs. He did know his stuff. All from real world knowledge gained. He did not even have a dial up connection to the interweb.

Oh, and his published loads were HOT,HOT, HOT!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow!

Here we are, long after both are gone, re-hashing their old arguments. Now, that's success from any author's standpoint. to be remembered and quoted long after you've left this Earth.

So, they were both at the top of their games, legacies ongoing.

And, although from the same era, they were so different, representing very contrasting backgrounds. JOC was a polished college professor, Elmer was a cowboy/guide. Both advanced the science and art of shooting, both had/have serious followers of their various schools of thought.

I saw Elmer at the 1970 NRA Convention in New Orleans where I was attending school. He was short with his big hat. He was very cordial to those around him. I was at the Ruger booth, Mr. Vogel, Bill Ruger's son-in-law was there. Elmer walked up and was looking at the newly released Security Six. Elmer pointed it, looked at it and gave Mr. Vogel the OK to produce it. "Wrap it up", he said... Mr. Vogel smiled and was most gracious to Elmer. Whether or not Ruger needed Elmer's stamp of approval to produce the Security Six, they got it...

JOC was also there and seemed more aloof than Elmer, but cordial as well. He just had an air about him that permeated his space. To me, they were both "rock stars" at that NRA Convention, just handled themselves a bit differently. I can't see JOC telling Mr. Vogel to "wrap up" a new rifle project. I don't think he would have been that forward or presumptious. But, he could be presumptious, just a bit smoother at it than Elmer, IMO.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's right. What the heck does it matter what anybody has written about anything, or indeed any sort of human experience other than our own?

That's why so many people personally invented the same two cartridges called the .270 Winchester and .338 Winchester Magnums, in their home workshops, on machines they made from scratch without any previous knowledge of machinery, metals, or chemistry. And then built riflescopes to put on top of their personally-built .270's and .338's (that just happen to use cartridges practically identical to millions of other .270's and .338's) without any knowledge of glass-making, much less optical priciples.

Well, maybe that's a little extreme. But did you just decide to buy a .270 Winchester out of the blue one day? (Yes, I know you own at least one.) Without ever hearing about the cartridge before? Or had you previously heard about the .270, somewhere, somehow? Maybe it was in a free Winchester ammo catalog you picked up at the store. You just ran down the list of ballistic numbers and thought, hey, that .270 might work!

I keep running into people (some of them even in the gun writing business) who apparently think they learned everything they needed to know about hunting and shooting from personal trial and error. And many of them get angry when somebody else even mentions the possibility that some gun writer, or ammunition designer, or even any human, anywhere had any influence on their decisions.

Yes, gun rags and writers play a part in what we choose to use, even if we never open one of the magazines, along with 1000 other sources of information. That's because human knowledge is passed down from one generation to the next through words and numbers. Otherwise we'd be living in trees and caves and hoping somebody would invent fire so we wouldn't have to eat raw food.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you agree that a 270 is an adequate coyote round?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, rockchucks are its limit. Those darn thin-jacketed 130's blow up on coyote shoulders.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well stated, John, and so true.

As famously penned by John Donne in "No Man is an Island", we're all dependant on our fellow inhabitants of this Earth and those who have gone before.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/07/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I can't believe that everyone is skirting the 'elephant in the room'.

No one has yet even mentioned how gay the .270 is...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is why it needs super-tough bullets like TSX's to kill dink doe mule deer--and is incapable of killing buck mule deer, much less elk.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
John,
all of what you say in your post is very true but I also agree with shrapnel about very few cartridges will live and die on their merits alone. How they are talked up by the industry and how much of that talking happens plays a big part in a rounds success, at least initially.

I think that most folks end up picking rifles and cartridges initially by mimicking their mentor's choices, be it their father, uncle or a bunch of old JOC books.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is why it needs super-tough bullets like TSX's to kill dink doe mule deer--and is incapable of killing buck mule deer, much less elk.

These are all true words�.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and Eileen doing well on this cool first September Sunday.

With respect to my cyber friend Kirk, my personal experience with cartridges and rifles is quite different in that I've purchased a fair few based upon what I've read about them in magazines, books and nowadays on the 'net.

My latest purchase of a RAR in .223 is a perfect example of that really, with folks here and authors such as you saying that the RAR shot so well. As well I've absolutely tried new bullets, optics and other gear based upon what I've read from authors I've come to respect and trust.

Although I've told this tale before and hopefully can be forgiven for repeating it, I intentionally avoided the .270 like the very plague because of a pair of JOC disciples that I fell in with when we moved to BC. They would mercilessly ride me because of our choice of hunting cartridges at the time - .30-30, .308, .30-06 and .308 Norma - though they did grudgingly accept the .308 Norma as "adequate" and "almost as good as a .270". grin

In the fullness of time I mellowed somewhat - though it was indeed one of Jack's followers who insisted I take a Parker Hale featherweight barrel in .270 as payment for some work I'd done at his place. As it so happened too, he had a barrel vice in his shop John and as soon as I agreed to take the barrel he insisted I bring the latest 98 action I was playing with over to "get that useless '06 barrel off of it and put on something that works!!" laugh

Oh, he'd sold me the '06 barrel too of course. wink

Anyway though I do miss the days of the slightly longer magazine articles - so many seem shortened by editing these days to me - I still read the Wolfe stuff whenever I can find it and subscribe to your online publication as well as some other online reading.

I do also think it's a pity that besides maybe Sports Afield or Grays Sporting magazines there's no format that I've seen lately for some of the more general stories such as your "The 97" I believe it was or similar ones.

Perhaps I'm just unable to find those publications anymore - and certainly that's why I buy more books nowadays too.

Although my own experience does grow every year I still enjoy reading what other's are using/learning as well. For me it's part of who I've become and I hope writers keep writing for the next generation of hunters and shooters too.

As always John, all the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/07/14.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hey, Dwayne. Always nice to see you.

To no one in particular:

Anyone who denigrates Elmer on a personal basis doesn't know what they are talking about, and that's a fact.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe

I own 3-.270's and am quite happy with them. wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I rest my case.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Huntz, any firearm of any caliber is only as good as the man behind the trigger. When you say the 270 sucks do you mean when you are shooting it or are you talking about someone else that you know?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

According to the sycophants, if you had stopped after your first sentence, you would have said all that needed to be said.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dude270,

Actually, the .270 Winchester pretty much did make it on its merits. When it appeared in 1925 the hunting and shooting magazines weren�t nearly as advertising-driven as they are now, and TV and the Internet didn�t exist, so there wasn�t the instant mega-promotion of every new round. And even when the .270 was reviewed, most writers weren�t enthusiastic, because they were .30-06 men.

Also, Jack O�Connor didn�t become a major influence on hunting/shooting writing until at least 20 years after the .270 appeared, when he finally quit his teaching job and started writing full-time. His first book didn�t appear until 1939, and even then GAME IN THE DESERT didn�t sell many copies, partly because there weren�t many printed. He did have a column in OUTDOOR LIFE starting around 1940, but he didn�t start using the .270 until just a few years before, and didn�t use it on game larger than deer until the 1940�s.

Elmer Keith actually had more experience with the .270 on larger game before then. Evidently this was mostly second-hand, but he wasn�t anti-.270 when his first book, BIG GAME RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES, appeared in 1936: �The .270 Winchester is one of our more popular long range rifles and is a very good cartridge for all our lighter big game. It is a more powerful load than the .256 Newton. It is also an extremely accurate load, even at long range. When its use is restricted to game that really comes under its power, it is a fine cartridge indeed. Many hunters swear by it for elk and moose shooting, but I have noticed that they are nearly all experienced old hunters, who possess the skill and patience to properly place their shot or not shoot.�

The .270�s early success was due partly to being a Winchester chambering, available in the popular Model 54 and 70 rifles, and partly because it had an entire niche in American hunting cartridges all to itself. Before 1925 the nearest any American factory cartridge came was the .256 Newton Keith mentions, which died along with the Newton rifles. Other than a few wildcats and British or European rounds not chambered in American factory rifles, there essentially wasn�t any other cartridge shooting medium-weight spitzers at over 3000 fps. And that�s why it succeeded, not because of Jack O�Connor.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammit John, there you go throwing up facts again, when you gonna learn grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Shodd
Huntz, any firearm of any caliber is only as good as the man behind the trigger. When you say the 270 sucks do you mean when you are shooting it or are you talking about someone else that you know?

Shod

Well, it sucks cause I only get to shoot once and the animal is down.I think if you shoot a 270 you should be issued at least ten tags for what ever you are hunting!! frown

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by rattler
dammit John, there you go throwing up facts again, when you gonna learn grin

Except for MD and a very few others, the .270-J O'C connection being the sole reason for the .270's popularity is a result of writers copying other writers. If any writer admired the .270 more than O'Conner, it was John Jobson. Yet no on ever says he had a hand in its popularity.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree that the .270 is a fun success story and for lots of reasons. It was and is easy to shoot well because of it's light recoil. It kills all deer(moose are deer too)if you can shoot and about as well as anything that I'd care to fire from my shoulder. Before laser range finders were popular its flat trajectory made hitting at longer unknown ranges a little easier for most of us. Good press didn't hurt, I know that when I was sixteen(will be 72 soon)I read and reread Jack's stuff and absolutely had to have a Mod.70 .270. Also, Winchester got their 130gr. bullet's construction correct from the start, it was well suited to the then high velocity of the .270 and did a lot to cement the .270's reputation as a good killer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
John

Good post as usual. I never thought about the fact that the advertising blitz didn't exist when the 270 came out.

I have a copy of Keith's "Big Game Rifles and Cartidges" and have always especially liked Keith's words on the 270. I don't belive many other folks knew he felt that way though, I'm glad you posted his quote.

I have often wondered if Keith's opinions on suitable calibers would have changed had he lived to see the bullets available today.

I never intended to sound like the 270 didn't make it on it's own merits, It certainly filled a void at a time then it had no competition to speak of. As you can tell by my campfire handle, I think very highly of the 270. My comments were more geared toward many of the superfluous cartridges we have today and the industry's aggressive marketing of them.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mule Deer, you very often hit upon the most salient points of a discussion, which I suppose is what makes you so good at your job!

I'm enjoying all of this back-and-forth about our shooting, hunting, and outdoor journalism forebears, on this thread and recent others. It is just as fun, and at times far more interesting, to consider where we've been and how we got here, than to consider where we are and what possibilities are.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I did not know Elmer as I was born in 1971. His writings by that time became more a remembrance of the old days then up to date on new tech......... Elmer was blessed to live in the rural west at the time when animal pops. where good and human infringement was minimal. I believe he would have been less successful in his endeavors nowadays.......... His writings make interesting reading, but not as informative as some once thought.
These are just my humble beliefs and not based on anything other then my own opinions. You can flame me for not thinking Elmer as a Demigod , but its just my opinion. JB and some others nowadays test the most modern stuff, present information, then at the end add their opinions. Elmer considered his opinion as facts and that was that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, maybe that's a little extreme. But did you just decide to buy a .270 Winchester out of the blue one day? (Yes, I know you own at least one.) Without ever hearing about the cartridge before? Or had you previously heard about the .270, somewhere, somehow? Maybe it was in a free Winchester ammo catalog you picked up at the store. You just ran down the list of ballistic numbers and thought, hey, that .270 might work!

I bought a 270 because I wanted a nice Model 70 Winchester and I found a real nice one made in 1949, it just happened to be chambered in 270. The caliber was inconsequential, the gun was a very nice and clean Model 70 from a good era of Winchester manufacturing.

My father had no use for the 270, but I got it anyway. You know I don't read, so you also know I haven't read anything by JOC to influence me. All that aside, what writers write about doesn't affect me as I don't read their writing, you also know that when I need advice, I call you so I won't have to wait for an appropriate article to be written that I won't read anyhow...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dude270,

Actually, Elmer did live plenty long enough to experience the Nosler Partition, which despite what many believe is indeed a premium bullet. But even a decade after the Partition appeared in 1948, Keith decided to take a .333 OKH with bad 300-grain bullets to Africa on his first safari. They came apart so readily he eventually started shooting everything bigger than a Thomson gazelle (about 75-80 pounds, max) with solids. He detailed all this in his book SAFARI, which is where a lot of the BS about African plains game being so tough originated. A .30-06 with 180 Partitions would have worked MUCH better, but apparently Elmer never really "got" Partitions.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

So what made you want a Model 70?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is an interesting coincidence. Just a few minutes ago I got back from a road trip through Idaho and Western Montana. On Friday afternoon I stopped in Salmon to pay my respects to Mr. Keith. Don't know if we'd be without any rifle chamberings if it weren't for him but he surely led the charge for the .44 Magnum.

[Linked Image]

He rests in a very nice locale. I believe that is part of the Bitterroot Mountains behind his grave there. My camera does not do justice to how rugged and pretty they are. Very tall and steep country all around that part of Idaho.

[Linked Image]

BTW, Mule Deer, I stopped into Capitol Sporting Goods in Helena while I was in the neighborhood but you weren't there. I have to say you live in some mighty pretty country as well. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He must like rifles that are too heavy and overly expensive. whistle whistle

Actually a vintage 70 in 270 is pretty high on the "COOL" meter. wink

Last edited by luv2safari; 09/07/14.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kirk,

So what made you want a Model 70?

My uncle had one that I couldn't get from my aunt when he died...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
John
I have always found it odd that Keith didn't embrace the partition as well. Had he used them I think his stands on what was effective on larger game and the minimum caliber or cartridge for "raking shots" may have at least softened if not changed.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

By a not-so-odd coincidence, my own first pre-'64 M70 was a .270....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

Well, it sucks cause I only get to shoot once and the animal is down.I think if you shoot a 270 you should be issued at least ten tags for what ever you are hunting!! frown

So I take it you are saying the 270 sucks for YOU! Thank you for the clarification.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, Elmer new what he was talking about. He said he saw a jack rabbit shot with a .270, it scratched itself and ran off. He told more stories than most people ever heard. I've shot quite a few jack rabbits with a .270 myself, I know what it will do to a jackrabbit.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I opened a gun mag, and found an article relegating the 270 only to varmints and vermin, I would NOT lavish praise, nor idolize the author. Quite the opposite.

Keith knew what he knew, but his word was far from scripture. I read various things he wrote and were written about him and I think: "What the hell does a headstamp have to do with accuracy? What about bullets? No really, what about bullets? How is a 4" 44 somehow a better game getter than a 270? Do you really believe that?"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
If I opened a gun mag, and found an article relegating the 270 only to varmints and vermin, I would NOT lavish praise, nor idolize the author. Quite the opposite.

Keith knew what he knew, but his word was far from scripture. I read various things he wrote and were written about him and I think: "What the hell does a headstamp have to do with accuracy? What about bullets? No really, what about bullets? How is a 4" 44 somehow a better game getter than a 270? Do you really believe that?"

You have to take several things into consideration when reading any article. The primary being what's being hunted and where. A 4" 44 is a better game getter than a 270 if you are hunting in the brush at short ranges. I wouldn't even think about using a 270 for whitetails in some of the places I hunt for them.

There is less variation and better quality control these days, but years ago things were different. I can see why someone who had bad luck with a certain headstamp or bullet might prefer one manufacturer over another.

I hunt in Ontario for the most part. I have also hunted in Europe, BC, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Quebec. For large game, mostly moose, deer and black bears. Personally, I saw no merit using a 270 for what I was hunting (and the ranges at which I hunted), but others might have found it to their liking. I had a 30-06 before I had a 270, and I feel it is better because there are more bullets available.

Neither Keith's nor O'Connor's opinion was the final word. They were the thoughts expressed by two men who used different tools to accomplish what amounts to the same thing.

I knew neither man. My opinion of their articles and books is, technically, O'Connor was a better writer. Unfortunately, history has made Mr. O'Connor out to be someone who held the 270 in higher esteem than most other cartridges. Many people think (thought) that was virtually the only cartridge he used. They should try reading more of his books and articles. He has written to the contrary, but many remember what they want.

Mr. Keith has been on more trips and taken more game that I ever will. He approached things differently I think, than O'Connor. My personal opinion, based on having taken most of my large game at shorter distances than either of these gentlemen is, I like fat and slow, but I hunt mostly in moderate to heavy cover. That said, I am not suggesting that Elmer Keith as right. He just did things differently.

Both men are now part of history and their legacy is, O'Connor loved the 270 above all else. Keith loved the 44 handgun. Neither is an accurate assessment. In my opinion, each took a different road to get to the same place. I believe both were smart enough to choose the right cartridge and gun, but inaccuracies creep into the conversation when two or more humans get together. People tend to "interpret" history to fit their argument.

To everyone I say, read the works of both men. Respect them both. Be thankful that, regardless of your opinions, we were fortunate to have their thoughts recorded for all time.

Edited to add: Jim, that sure is a pretty final resting place. It makes me want to go there for the view as much as visit the Keith grave.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good comments, Steve. My post was not meant to denigrate Keith, but rather to point out the he, like O'Connor, was not a visionary, nor did either man have some grand understanding things beyond their own experiences. Thus the value of their contributions is found in the chronicling of each's experiences, rather than seeing their writings as the last word in anything.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I quoted from your post, but my short commentary was for the whole thread. grin

I genuinely wish I could have spent some time with both men. There was much to be learned from those two.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm sure I would have enjoyed shooting, hunting, or shooting the shinola with either, and likely could have related to both men. I spent a lot of time in Keith's stomping grounds as a youngster, and shot my first Muley in the Salmon River canyon.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Keith and O'Connor could not have been more different in their writing. I enjoy reading both. Others can fight over which one was smarter, truth in various rumors, etc. I could care less.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was darn near raised by O'Connor and Keith....the barber in our little farming town gave me his Outdoor Lifes when they were a mere one month old and his new copy arrived, and my Uncle Bill gave me a subscription to Guns and Ammo when I was 14. I thoroughly enjoyed both writers; they were larger than life to a young boy.
One of my recent purchases was the two volume Gun Notes books, reprints of Keith's articles for G & A. Included in them are letters written by O'Connor and Keith to Truman Fowler, mostly about cartridge size, as well a very few letters direct from O'Connor to Keith and Keith to O'Connor. Though if certainly appears to me that they did indeed have a strong rivalry and were not secret drinking buddies, an interesting exchange occurred in the mid 70s. Apparently Keith had a serious health scare and O'Connor wrote to him. I'm paraphrasing, as I'm at work and don't have my copies of the letters available. O'Connor wrote something like "Hell, Elmer, you like bigger guns than I do, but that's neither here nor there. You've led a life few have, and should write it down." Keith replied "Maybe you're right...I should do that before it gets too late." Again, I'm paraphrasing from memory.
My take on it was that in their later years, the rivalry might have subsided a bit, and that deep down there was always some respect, well hidden, even if they were not good friends. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Last edited by 300_savage; 09/07/14.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
And a question. I see from the photograph of the headstone that Elmer Keith's wife's name was Lorene. I remember it in print from Keith's writings as Lorraine. Wonder what the story is behind that?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 300_savage
And a question. I see from the photograph of the headstone that Elmer Keith's wife's name was Lorene. I remember it in print from Keith's writings as Lorraine. Wonder what the story is behind that?

Probably the editor saw "Lorene" and chalked it up to yet another Elmer Kieth mis-spelling, and changed it to what he assumed was the correct spelling. I've heard, rightly or wrongly, that Elmer didn't have a superior command of English and required quite a bit of editing to get his tales into print.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Keith not only didn't have the formal command of English that O'Connor did, but had considerable trouble typing. I know one of the guys who edited Keith's manuscripts at G&A, and he says one of the frequent typing mistakes was an i appearing instead of the o in the word "shot."

I wrote both Keith and O'Connor about different things when in my 20's, and still have their answers. Elmer's is full of typos, and O'Connor's is not. O'Connor, however, eventually had a secretary to type his letters when he was at OL, but by the time I wrote him he was at Petersen's Hunting. Don't know if he still had a secretary.

I never met either man but have gotten to know O'Connor's son Bradford over the past couple of years, and if Jack was as fun to be around then he would have been a blast. Keith apparently was a lot of fun to hang with.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300_savage & gnoahhh-

I suspect the error in the name of Elmer Keith's wife rests with the maker of the grave marker. It's spelled "Lorraine" consistently in Keith's autobiographical writing, so it likely wasn't a one-time editorial correction of "Lorene".

Google can find several persons named "Lorene Keith", but none of them were attached in any way to Elmer.

The blurb about Lorraine Keith from findagrave.com shows her name as Lorraine, and apparently quotes from a newspaper notice of her funeral. Below is part of that notice, just in case it vanishes into the electronic mists.
--Bob
Originally Posted by findagrave.com
Lorraine Kathirene Randall Keith
Birth: Mar. 13, 1900 Death: Apr. 24, 1998

Funeral services for Lorraine K. Keith, 98, will be held at the Jones and Casey Funeral Home 1 May 1998. Mrs. Keith passed away 24 April 1998 at West Wind Care Center in Boise, Idaho. She was born 13 March 1900 in Boise, a daughter of Cyrus and Frances Saxton Randall, the second in a family of five brothers and two sisters. Her early years were spent on a homestead along the Snake River, under what is now Brownlee Reservoir and on Monroe Creek Ranch near Weiser. She completed grade school and high school in Weiser and then attended Lewis-Clark Normal School, where she earned a two year teachers certificate and taught near Weiser for a couple of years. She married Elmer Merrifield Keith in Weiser in 1926.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=27813900

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Forget where I read this, and don't know if it's true. But the story is that a new editor, frustrated with Keith, sent him a memo that he needed to use more commas when he wrote. Keith's next manuscript had, and the very end, about three lines of commas, with the note that here they are, put them where you want them.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks, BullShooter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Forget where I read this, and don't know if it's true. But the story is that a new editor, frustrated with Keith, sent him a memo that he needed to use more commas when he wrote. Keith's next manuscript had, and the very end, about three lines of commas, with the note that here they are, put them where you want them.

That's funny, don't care who you are.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That sounds just like the Elmer Keith I imagine.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hope that's true. For me, that's something I would expect him to write, but did he?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I hope that's true. For me, that's something I would expect him to write, but did he?

It's a great story...

Do as in Hollywood, when myth veers from fact, print the myth...

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm always a bit amused by these threads between the JOC and EK fans. People act like yeah we would have been big buddies if only I had lived close to them etc. I knew neither and just have my opinion formed by what I have read about them but I sense that both could be somewhat of a curmudgeon and didn't suffer fools readily despite if they happened to say hi to you and shake your hand at a safari club convention booth where they were paid to glad hand the clientele. I may be all wrong but I would only guess that's like stating that Kim Kardasian or Jennifer Aniston wants to have your offspring.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's nice to think about them in that way and that's OK.

But, I think you may be onto something...

They had close friends mentioned in their writings, but seemingly not a lot of them...

DF

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Elmer was the same wherever he was. I doubt he ever felt the need to "glad hand" anyone. He was naturally friendly to anyone else that was friendly.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt very much that either Elmer or Jack were ever paid to stand in a booth and glad-hand anybody. Partly I doubt this because SCI was started in 1973, toward the end of their careers, when both were pretty tired of traveling just for the sake of traveling.

In fact I don't know of anybody who's been paid to stand in an SCI booth and meet people. Some do have booths of their own, where they selling stuff so are understandably nice to most people, or are in somebody else's booth because that other somebody is selling something--like, say, Craig Boddington being in the Safari Press booth because they're selling his latest book. But being paid to stand in one booth at any convention? Nah.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

That's funny, don't care who you are.

whether true or not, just picturing that situation in the mind--that's a great story.

i always enjoyed his writings--some good stuff.

at the old Powderhorn sporting goods store here--among some of the guys--there used to be "an old joke" about Elmer--that he had put an ad in the back of one of the magazines;

five used typewriters for sale--all in good condition, except for the letter "i", which is completely worn out on all of them...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I doubt very much that either Elmer or Jack were ever paid to stand in a booth and glad-hand anybody. Partly I doubt this because SCI was started in 1973, toward the end of their careers, when both were pretty tired of traveling just for the sake of traveling.

In fact I don't know of anybody who's been paid to stand in an SCI booth and meet people. Some do have booths of their own, where they selling stuff so are understandably nice to most people, or are in somebody else's booth because that other somebody is selling something--like, say, Craig Boddington being in the Safari Press booth because they're selling his latest book. But being paid to stand in one booth at any convention? Nah.

Petersen (G&A) did expect him to attend the NRA conventions in their booth until he was too ill to do it. The last time I saw him was at one of those conventions and I thought it wasn't right to expect him to be there. He wasn't too happy about it but he was there and did the best he could. They did let him sit on a stool, but he didn't have much to say and sat towards the back. He was a shadow of his former self. This was in 1979, IIRC.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old gunwriter friend, Bob, used to hang with guys like Elmer Keith back in the day. I'll be over to Bob's house and he'll launch into a story about how he and Bill Ruger and Elmer tried to go to dinner at a Japanese restaurant, and Elmer had a gun in his boot and this was Chicago and . . . anyhow the gun ended up in Bob's wife's purse and a good time was had by all-- that kind of stuff.

The one Elmer Keith story of Bob's that stood out was how one day Elmer handed Bob a rough draft of something he wrote. Bob said Elmer had been drinking a lot and he wanted to know Bob's first impressions. Bob could not make heads-or-tails of it and passed it back to Elmer commenting as much.

"I was afraid of that. " replied Elmer. "That was my take on it too."

Bob concluded the story by saying Elmer required a lot of editing towards the end of his career.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All the good warm and fuzzy "bubba" feelings we as readers and fans may feel for those two, hanging out with one of them or being on a prolonged hunt may not have worked out exactly how we imagined it.

Just saying...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was reminded in reading this thread of my Eulogy for Big Stick back in 2007. Big Stick had been banned, and I came back from a weekend at camp and missed all the hoo-haw and thought Big Stick was dead. I started writing a eulogy for him.

Eulogy for Big Stick

I liked it so much, that I used parts of it in my eulogy for my own father when he died.

If you don't want to wade through the whole thing, here's the important part:

"Years ago," said Chin. "My buddy Lao Tse died. A few of us over at the monastery decided to go over and pay our respects. So I get to the funeral home and there are all these monks, disciples of Lao Tse, acting like a bunch of women. They're crying, they're wailing, they're pulling their clothes, they're falling on the floor and rolling around, and the noise? It sounded like they were slaughtering sheep!

"So I went in and I let out three big wails, and then I turned to my buddies and told them 'Let's blow this place. I know a bar around the corner that has cheap buckets of Miller until Five.' One of the monks gets off the floor and runs over to us.

"'Where are you going?' asked this monk. 'Is that all you can summon for your friend? Three lousy little wails?'

"That's when I got steamed. I went around the parlor, kicking butt. I knocked those monks upside the head with my staff. I kicked their sorry backsides. I put a hurt on them like they had never seen. 'I'll give you something to wail about!' I said.

"'But Master!, said the monks. 'This was your best friend.'

"'No!' I said. 'I can see Lao Tse was a fool. And you are all fools too. I had believed him to be the man of all men, but now I know that he was not. When I went in to mourn, I found old persons weeping as if for their children, young ones wailing as if for their mothers. And for him to have gained the attachment of those people in this way, he too must have uttered words which should not have been spoken, and dropped tears which should not have been shed, thus violating eternal principles, increasing the sum of human emotion, and forgetting the source from which his own life was received. The ancients called such emotions the trammels of mortality. The Master came, because it was his time to be born; he went, because it was his time to die. For those who accept the phenomenon of birth and death in this sense, lamentation and sorrow have no place.'

"I kicked all their sorry butts, and as I left, I told them this: ' There was a fire. It burned brightly once, and now it is gone. It may burn elsewhere in this world, I know not where, but these sticks have burned out and grown cold. '"

With this, the Chinaman got up from the mound of dirt and walked over to the little campfire that someone had left. With his boot, he kicked the embers. A few were still hot, and once they hit the snow, they sizzled and went out.

"Just like this." said Chin. "And then I walked out of there and got drunk with my friends."

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF,
Spot on!

Romantic notions usually do not stand up to real life experiences.

I will say that I became enamored with the 270 in part because of JOC's writings. But the article that really hooked my was written by a DIY hunter that went to Canada and successfully hunted all sorts of critters with his 270, including grizzly.
Then all of my positive hunting experiences added to it.

I think Dirty Harry had more of a 44 influence on me than EK. But thanks to him, we have it.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CRS, +1, and good call on the 44. It was pop culture that made it exciting and interesting for me, especially through characters like Dirty Harry. Elmer Keith was just a name back then. My dad had a few: big, and bigger Rugers.

And back then, JOC was just another name, and though I had read a few things he'd written, I didn't connect him to the 270 until much later, after several 270's had been part of the family hunting for some years.

Shaman, as always, your writing entertains and edifies. I like the longer version over just the eulogy. The markings of many men decorate, or mar, the surface of my world. Several are here on the fire, which is why I am still here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, kindly.

I don't mean to denigrate Jack, Elmer, or even my buddy Bob. However, those sticks gave out their heat a long time ago.

Timeless? You want timeless? Try Phillip Tome, Meshack Browning, or (my favorite)Friedrich Gerst�cker. Nobody in their day was worried about 270 vs 30-06. Browning liked to put a ball into a buck, just to get a blood trail and then track it. He preferred leaping on the animal and finishing it off by plunging a knife into the beast's chest and feeling the life leave. Tome's big claim was being able to capture elk alive and bring them back to town to show off. Gerst�cker walked most of the way from New York to Arkansas, just for the hunting. Look them up on Amazon. I think Tome's autobiography is free online. Teddy Roosevelt is a pansy by comparison.

Me? By the time Adolf Hitler was my age, he'd been dead 6 months. However, Hitler never knew the pleasure of standing over a buck with his son clapping his hands with glee. I've lived twice as long as Alexander the Great and then some, but I dare say old 'Lex never had the chance to sit back with a scotch under a full moon with a fat 8 pointer hanging up and listen to Cabar Feidh (The Stag�s Head) played just for him by the Cincinnati Caledonians Pipe and Drum, piped in over a cell phone.

Some day it hits you, maybe you're not trying to kill Harrison Ford in a rainstorm, but one day the truth sinks in:

[video:youtube]JdUq2opPY-Q[/video]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
Spot on!

It takes a special kinda dog to run with an alpha dog. That dog, generally will be a supporter, one to cheer the alpha, to be there for the alpha without competing for center stage.

Not a real common dog...

DF

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I'm not a Big Dog, but I've run with a few. Not a small dog either, just a Low Dog.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah...

Can't compete with the Top Dog, just get along without being a lap dog or a kicking dog... cool

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by CRS
DF,
Spot on!

It takes a special kinda dog to run with an alpha dog. That dog, generally will be a supporter, one to cheer the alpha, to be there for the alpha without competing for center stage.

Not a real common dog...

DF

I spent a 12 day safari in Namibia with our own JB here�the modern day equivalent to a Keith or a JOC and he was a perfect gentleman throughout.And so was I�... whistle

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wouldn't put JB in the same alpha dog class with JOC or Elmer. Seems to me, JB's a bit more mellow that those guys. I see him as competitive and confident, but not into himself enough to qualify for that league. Eileen may disagree... laugh

The ongoing feud between Elmer and JOC speaks a lot to their psychological profiles. You can throw Charlie Askins, Jr. into that mix. He and Elmer were tight, because the Sr. Askins got Elmer started as a gun writer and Charlie adored his Dad. Charlie accused JOC of blowing the whistle on Askins, Sr. As the old man became a bit senile, Jr., reportedly, was doing some ghost writing for him. Sr. was the highest paid gun writer in his day, so there was money on the table...

Alpha dog city... shocked

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

I rest my case.

I wanted one but Fredericks didn't have any leopard thongs small enough to fit me. Any suggestions as to an alternate source?

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BRoper
Yeah, Elmer new what he was talking about. He said he saw a jack rabbit shot with a .270, it scratched itself and ran off. He told more stories than most people ever heard. I've shot quite a few jack rabbits with a .270 myself, I know what it will do to a jackrabbit.

works pretty good on squirrels too

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wouldn't put JB in the same alpha dog class with JOC or Elmer. Seems to me, JB's a bit more mellow that those guys. I see him as competitive and confident, but not into himself enough to qualify for that league. Eileen may disagree... laugh

The ongoing feud between Elmer and JOC speaks a lot to their psychological profiles. You can throw Charlie Askins, Jr. into that mix. He and Elmer were tight, because the Sr. Askins got Elmer started as a gun writer and Charlie adored his Dad. Charlie accused JOC of blowing the whistle on Askins, Sr. As the old man became a bit senile, Jr., reportedly, was doing some ghost writing for him. Sr. was the highest paid gun writer in his day, so there was money on the table...

DF

I certainly wouldn't compare JB to Elmer. John isn't full of crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my .270

I like my .44 S&W

kudos & thanks to both Keith & O'Connor...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The JOC versus EK "feud" was beneficial for both of them. I'm sure both were aware of this. They didn't need to like each other, just to disagree in print.
I recall an article by a former Winchester employee who was present when JOC and EK met in person for the first time. The Winchester man was sweating bullets over a fight breaking out. JOC and EK got along just fine...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

DF

I certainly wouldn't compare JB to Elmer. John isn't full of crap.

I wouldn't either and didn't.

Some of that "feud" could have been scripted but I don't think it came out of a vacuum.

DF

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't have time or interest enough to read all this.
But , for what it is worth , very little, I purchased an Elmer Keith...owned .300 Weatherby, german one at that, at the Riviera Gun Show along with 2 other rifles, about 12-14 years ago. Shot very poorly. Had to practically give it away. Showed the Weatherby confirmation letter to the buyer. After buyer had left my place I found the letter on my bench. I thought he might call for it, never did.

I quit reading gun rags years ago����same old stuff, like this.
Cisco

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've read "Hell I was there" and I'm almost halfway through The Hunting Rifle.

I enjoy both their styles and stories. I think JOC approached his thoughts and writings in a more formal, fact based (teacher like) method and was clear in his writings. A little more like talking to your stern experienced grandfather.

Keith was more demonstrative and "loud" in his writing - more like hanging with your crazy uncle.

I deeply respect both men and their contributions. Both Bill Jordan's and Ed McGivern's books are also interesting from a style standpoint - and not short on "confidence".

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250

....but then I guess he needed big bore guns & his 17 gallon hat to make up for his size 6 boots.

Mike

I met a man in Salmon (ID) in 2006 that was a member of the Masonic Lodge with Keith and hunted with him in the Salmon River area. He told me that the 30-06 was one of Keith's favorite rifle cartridges and he used it regularly, but the 375 H&H was better for articles (and money).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My grandpa found a slew of G&A magazines from the mid sixties to like 1986 and knew he had to get them for me (I miss him, he was like that).

I always enjoyed reading Elmer's stuff because he always seemed like people I grew up around and sometimes seemed a bit outlandish in the details; like a friendly BSing farmer.

O'Connor always seemed to tell the story in chronological, matter of fact fashion, just like I did/had to for term papers in college.

I've only met one gunwriter in person and he wasn't full of himself, LOVED guns like most of us here and you could tell he enjoyed helping answer questions....and enjoyed people.

Like most professions, I think a lot of average people think they know more, do more and are better qualified (or envious) than many they like to critique. Most than often, they aren't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djs

Mike

I met a man in Salmon (ID) in 2006 that was a member of the Masonic Lodge with Keith and hunted with him in the Salmon River area. He told me that the 30-06 was one of Keith's favorite rifle cartridges and he used it regularly, but the 375 H&H was better for articles (and money).

Two things I will say here. First, if Keith was happy and successful using big bore rifles, good for him. He lived his life the way he wanted, using the tools he wanted. He was under no obligation to abandon what he knew would work and dedicate his life to the latest and greatest gear. He wasn't living for his readers. He determined cutting edge technology wasn't required. He was entitled to his opinion.

He didn't have to use the latest and greatest and neither do we. I use a 303 and a 45-70 a lot. I also like cast bullets. This doesn't make me "stuck in the 1800s". It makes me happy. I think the numbers of BP and archery hunters are proof that you can be successful and happy with tools designed a long time ago. They don't bother with magnum rifles, jacketed or premium bullets and even scopes.

Second, it seems reasonable that Keith used a 30-06 more often than people thought. The ammunition was plentiful, as were 30 cal bullets. When he hunted, he knew what would get the job done. Jack O'Connor liked the 30-06 too. Perhaps there are times when two different personalities can agree on something. smile

Both men are gazing down on this and laughing. They were a success, as is evidenced by the amount of words expended on them every day, years after their passing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by djs

Mike

Both men are gazing down on this and laughing. They were a success, as is evidenced by the amount of words expended on them every day, years after their passing.

Well, I guess than that Hitler is looking up and laughing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve, I see a basic difference with your use of cast bullets and the .303 and .45/70 and Elmer's choices; you aren't attempting to convince others that your choices are the only correct ones by bad-mouthing other choices.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HawkI

I always enjoyed reading Elmer's stuff because he always seemed like people I grew up around and sometimes seemed a bit outlandish in the details; like a friendly BSing farmer.

I can't stand that sort of behavior, in story tellers or first hand. When a piece of information is presented as being nonfiction and factual, it needs to be presented as such. Otherwise the presenter loses credibility with me.

I feel that way about Keith's writing. I'm sure he was just fine in person, but I just can't take him seriously as a writer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't stand that sort of behavior, in story tellers or first hand. When a piece of information is presented as being nonfiction and factual, it needs to be presented as such. Otherwise the presenter loses credibility with me.

I feel that way about Keith's writing. I'm sure he was just fine in person, but I just can't take him seriously as a writer.

I'm not much for embellishments either. Just the facts ma'am.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dude270
John
I have always found it odd that Keith didn't embrace the partition as well. Had he used them I think his stands on what was effective on larger game and the minimum caliber or cartridge for "raking shots" may have at least softened if not changed.
IIRC, and I do, towards the very end of his life, he'd written (in Gun Notes) that a 175 Nosler Partition in the 7mm Rem Mag was just about the perfect elk rifle/bullet combination. Heck, I've probably still got that old G&A around here someplace.

While I enjoyed both of their writing styles, I tended to follow the O'Connor school of thought more than Keith's, as he was more polished and frankly, a better writer. My favorite writer was Skeeter Skelton, though, who could both weave a great story and educate you at the same time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by moosemike

I'm not much for embellishments either. Just the facts ma'am.

I don't think many writers get famous or make a living with "just the facts".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The funny part is that Elmer usually did write about "just the facts"...

[Linked Image]

He had just shot five running jackrabbits with one shot in this photo....

He was a smartass for sure.

Last edited by HawkI; 09/13/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd drink Old Crow with Elmer before I'd drink Old Rip Van Winkle with Jack O...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Krusty the Clown better than J. Robert Oppeheimer. That puts me with the man with the Big Hat, nodding my head to the tall tales by the guy who put campfire talk on paper.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
When I was a kid reading magazines in the 1950's I viewed both O'Connor and Keith as blindly opinionated people as many of the men of their generation were more so than now.

Now days it seems that a 338 is not needed to kill a deer or even an elk, as lots of elk have been killed with 270's.
So in hindsite O'Connors opinions are closer to truth.

Also, I remember reading Keith saying he had seen wounded game that had died in the woods without being found and he could tell they had been shot with 270's. To this day I can look at an exit wound and not tell what the caliber was, can you?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The funny part is that Elmer usually did write about "just the facts...

Witness the reproductive methods of possums.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
He probably missed the marsupial course in college.....deferring to "darkies" and prying the fry got him the "F".

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ratsmacker,

If you find that "Gun Notes" column where Elmer Keith wrote "that a 175 Nosler Partition in the 7mm Rem Mag was just about the perfect elk rifle/bullet combination" I would sure appreciate you passing on which year and column. I have read the 2-volume collection of "Gun Notes" and several times, and don't recall anything like that, but am always happy to be surprised.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Sadly, it never stopped him from continuing to write. crazy

O

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Anyone ever consider that magazine editors pushed the debate to keep or gain readership, and that O'Connor and Keith actually got along?

Boddington wrote that O'Connor didn't much care but Keith truly despised O'Connor.

O

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The funny part is that Elmer usually did write about "just the facts...

Witness the reproductive methods of possums.

Or...How earthquakes can be prevented with sheep's bladders?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Ive read both of them for quite a while, although Im not old enough to read them while they were still doing their thing. I own a couple books from each of them, and have read a number more .

One thing I find interesting is that while many people have called Keith a big bore fanatic he spent much time shooting, developing and inventing small bore magnums! Offering true small bore magnum performance, launching heavy for caliber bullets and speeds above and beyond normal rounds. His mind seems to have been changed thru time but early on he used and appreciated small bores much.

In his 1948 book on Big Game hunting he lists "the 270 Win is probably the finest small caliber commercial load made today" and other comments about its superiority for long range deer/sheep/goat hunting repeatedly. Yeah he himself hunted with different rounds but he definitely gave the cartridge its due even though it wasn't one of his favorites.

Another quote, "Any time velocity is over 3000 to 3200 feet at most, you are better off with more bullet weight, rather than added velocity". That sounds like a small bore magnum to me, say 7mm Rem with 160 vs 140grs??
He used the .264, .275/.276, .280 and 285 calibers with great enthusiasm for years. In OKH, Dubiel and Dubiel Magnums versions they were his finest stalking rifles. I dont know that those diameters are direct translations to today's bulets but they were below .308 and pushed bullets fast.

He also hated the 30-06, although stating it is the finest factory round for this or that. But its pretty clear he wasnt much of a fan after having some bad experiences with it early on. I think later he took that same line of thinking on the 270??

So even though the man spent his later years being much less forgiving of the smaller calibers at high velocity that's not really representative of his mindset and the way he made his meat while still a cowboy, guide and outfitter in the years before his writing career became his bread and butter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The deer was wounded by another hunter and escaping, so Elmer gave it a go with his 44 and connected.
What is wrong with that, he put the animal down.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm 65 and grew up reading Keith and O'Conner. I enjoyed both but leaned towards Keith because he spent a lot of time and money experimenting with rifles,handguns and shotguns. Just look at all of the wildcat cartridges he (with others) developed. If Keith wrote something he believed what he wrote because he had tested it.
A lot of people think that the Winchester Model 70 is one of the best rifles ever built and Elmer had some input on it's design.
I also think that Elmer and Jacks feud was over blown. They even hunted together on occasion.
[Linked Image]
This group is: Top Row, L to R; Bill Edwards(Guns), John Amber(Gun Digest), Pete Kuhlhoff(Argosy), Warren Page(Field&Stream), Jack O�Connor(Outdoor Life), Elmer Keith(Guns). Bottom Row, L to R; Ray Ovington(Guns&Game), Larry Koller(Guns&Hunting), Tom Siatos(Guns&Ammo), Pete Brown(Sports Afield), Jack Seville(Sports Afield).

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quick Reply ued.

I always felt EK just didn't consider JOC the real deal. I'm guessing Keith liked all guns, just some better than others. My thought is he gave the .270 the raz because O'Connor liked it. That's always been my take. They my have hunted together but anyone that thinks their egos didn't crowd a room when together is kidding themselves.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The thing that sticks in my mind when reading Kieth is, when a bullet failed the cartridge got the blame.
I'm glad we live in a time with lots of good bullets to choose from but even now, choose an inappropriate bullet and well, you know.
Wonder how his writing may have sounded if all he loaded was Partitions and cast of course.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Hell I Was There" is very good reading for those who don't understand what it was like when Elmer Keith was in Montana and Idaho and the surrounding area. As far as cartridges go, before the premium bullets and using the bullets people had to use back then, it took a larger caliber rifle to match what can be done with smaller calibers today. My first 264 was only a decent big game cartridge with the then cut on screw machines Nosler bullets, IMO. There wasn't any decent bullets available for smaller than .264 either.
Elmer Keith stated what was fact for him - then. Things may be different now, but to me the 270 is the one of the best coyote cartridges there is for the style of coyote hunting I like. (my brother-in-law says that if he were going coyote hunting he'd pick up his 06 with 150 grain bullets. And I've shot more coyotes with the 06 than any other cartridge. To me Elmer had more first hand experience than anyone who wrote, in his day, including Jack. Jack had to hire guides. Elmer didn't, he was a guide and saw a lot of hunting with a lot of different calibers.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The deer had been wounded by a guy with a .300 H&H, Keith finally stopped the animal at long range.......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Every time Elmer's 600 yard shot comes up there is a lot of confusion as to what happened because some people have never read it or don't remember the facts so they quote what they think what happened that day. Note that he hit the deer (not elk) twice. Once behind the jaw and once through the lungs. Also Paul Kriley had broke the deers leg before Elmer started shooting.

Here's what Elmer wrote;

Paul Kriley and I hunted up Clear Creek on the right side where it is partly open bunch grass meadows and partly patches of timber. We hunted all day, and although we saw several does at 80-90 yards, one at 60, that I could have killed. We passed them up, as I wanted a buck. Toward evening we topped out on a ridge. There was a swale between us and another small ridge on the side of the mountain slope about 300-400 yards away. Beyond that, out on the open sidehill, no doubt on account of the cougar, were about 20 mule deer, feeding. Two big bucks were in the band, and some lesser ones, the rest were does and long fawns. As it was getting late and the last day of the season, I wanted one of those bucks for meat. Being a half-mile away, I told Paul, �Take the .300 Magnum and duck back through this swale to that next ridge and that should put you within about 500 yards of them. I�ll stay here (the deer had seen us), let them watch me for a decoy.� Paul said, �You take the rifle.�
�I said, how is it sighted?�
He said, �one inch high at a hundred yards.� I told him to go ahead because I wouldn�t know where to hold it. I always sighted a .300 Magnum 3 inches high at a hundred and I wouldn�t know where to hold it at 500.
I said, �You go ahead and kill the biggest buck in the bunch for me.� Paul took off, went across the swale and climbed the ridge, laid down and crawled up to the top. He shot. The lower of the two bucks, which he later said was the biggest one, dropped and rolled down the mountain. I then took off across the swale to join him. Just before I climbed up the ridge to where he was lying, he started shooting again.
When I came up on top, the band of deer was pretty well long gone. They�d gone out to the next ridge top, turned up it slightly and went over. But the old buck was up following their trail, one front leg a-swinging. Paul had hit it. I asked Paul, �Is there any harm in me getting into this show?� He said, �No, go ahead.�
I had to lay down prone, because if I crawled over the hill to assume my old backside positioning, then the blast of his gun would be right in my ear. Shooting prone with a .44 Magnum is something I don�t like at all. The concussion is terrific. It will just about bust your ear drums every time. At any rate Paul shot and missed. I held all of the front sight up, or practically all of it, and perched the running deer on top of the front sight and squeezed one off. Paul said, �I saw it through my scope. It hit in the mud and snow right below him.� There was possibly six inches of wet snow, with muddy ground underneath. I told him �I won�t be low the next shot.� Paul shot again and missed with his .300 Magnum. The next time I held all of the front sight up and a bit of the ramp, just perched the deer on top. After the shot the gun came down out of recoil and the bullet had evidently landed. The buck made a high buck-jump, swapped ends, and came back toward us, shaking his head. I told Paul I must have hit a horn. I asked him to let the buck come back until he was right on us if he would, let him come as close as he would and I�d jump up and kill him. When he came back to where Paul had first rolled him, out about 500 yards, Paul said, �I could hit him now, I think.�
�Well,� I said, �I don�t like to see a deer run on three legs. Go ahead.� He shot again and missed. The buck swapped ends and turned around and went back right over the same trail. Paul said, �I�m out of ammunition. Empty.� I told him to reload, duck back out of sight, go on around the hill and head the old buck off, and I�d chase him on around. Paul took off on a run to go around this bunch-grass hill and get up above the buck and on top. He was young, husky, and could run like a deer himself. I got on the old buck again with all of the front sight and a trifle of the ramp up. Just as I was going to squeeze it off when he got to the ridge, he turned up it just as the band of deer had done. So I moved the sight picture in front of him and shot. After an interval he went down and out of sight. I didn�t think anything of it, thought he had just tipped over the ridge. It took me about half an hour to get across. When I got over there to the ridge, I saw where he�d rolled down the hill about fifty yards, bleeding badly, and then he�d gotten up and walked from the tracks to the ridge in front of us. There were a few pine trees down below, so I cut across to intercept his tracks. I could see he was bleeding out both sides.
Just before I got to the top of the ridge, I heard a shot up above me and then another shot, and I yelled and asked if it was Paul. He answered. I asked, �Did you get him?� He said, �Yes, he�s down there by that big pine tree below you. Climb a little higher and you can see him.� Paul came down and we went down to the buck. Paul said the buck was walking along all humped up very slowly. He held back of the shoulders as he was quartering away. The first shot went between his forelegs and threw up snow. Then he said the buck turned a little more away from him and he held higher and dropped him. Finally we parted the hair in the right flank and found where the 180-grain needle-pointed Remington spitzer had gone in. Later I determined it blew up and lodged in the left shoulder. At any rate I looked his horns over, trying to see where I�d hit a horn. No sign of it. Finally I found a bullet hole back of the right jaw and it came out of the top of his nose. That was the shot I�d hit him with out at 600 yards. Then Paul said, �Who shot him through the lungs broadside? I didn�t, never had that kind of shot at all.� There was an entrance hole fairly high on the right side of the rib cage just under the spine and an exit just about three or four inches lower on the other side. The deer had been approximately the same elevation as I was when I fired that last shot at him. We dressed him, drug him down the trail on Clear Creek, hung him up, and went on down to the ranch. The next day a man named Posy and I came back with a pack horse, loaded him and took him in. I took a few pictures of him hanging in the woodshed along with the Smith & Wesson .44 Mag.
I took him home and hung him up in the garage. About ten days later my son Ted came home from college and I told him, �Ted, go out and skin that big buck and get us some chops. They should be well-ripened and about right for dinner tonight.� After awhile Ted came in and he laid the part jacket of a Remington bullet on the table beside me and he said, �Dad, I found this right beside the exit hole on the left side of that buck�s ribs.� Then I knew that I had hit him at that long range two out of four times. I believe I missed the first shot, we didn�t see it at all, and it was on the second that Paul said he saw snow and mud fly up at his heels. I wrote it up and I�ve been called a liar ever since, but Paul Kriley is still alive and able to vouch for the facts.
Elmer Keith

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

In his 1948 book on Big Game hunting he lists "the 270 Win is probably the finest small caliber commercial load made today" and other comments about its superiority for long range deer/sheep/goat hunting repeatedly. Yeah he himself hunted with different rounds but he definitely gave the cartridge its due even though it wasn't one of his favorites.

The whole 270 thing with Elmer, was just his way of a Dig at JOC. There was no lost love between those two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just finishing up 'Hell I Was There' after not having read it completely for decades. One thing that I noticed was that smaller - .308 and under - failures were the result of being too small and weak, whereas failures with bigger cartridges just tended to show how resilient and tough the game was.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you ever get a chance, read Keith's book SAFARI, written after his first African trip. He used a .333 OKH with really bad 300-grain softpoints as his light rifle, and they often wouldn't even exit Thompson gazelles weighing maybe 60 pounds. He reported ALL African game was "as tough as an old gum boot," which is no doubt one of the reasons so many hunters who've never even seen Africa consider plains game far tougher than any big game in North America.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will search it out. I do enjoy his writings, just find myself amused at times. Thanks

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
If you read Elmer as a young shooter with little knowledge or experience, you come away thinking "Here's a man with unmatched experience, knowledge, and skill with all kinds of hunting guns."
<br>
<br>If you read Elmer after you've learned enough to be a dangerous smart-ass, you sneer at his claims and opinions (and dismiss his knowledge as "just his opinion").
<br>
<br>If you got to know Elmer in person, and learned the background and details of his claims, knowledge, and opinions, you came away knowing "Here's a man with unmatched experience, knowledge, and skill with all kinds of hunting guns."
<br>
<br>I was lucky -- I both read and came to know Elmer as a friend when I was a young shooter with little knowledge or experience, and as I grew in experience, knowledge, and skill with guns, I always came away knowing "Here's a man with unmatched experience, knowledge, and skill with all kinds of hunting guns."
<br>
<br>Oh, yes -- I've heard and read just about every cheap put-down that little minds have thrown at Elmer, and I know them all to be without merit or foundation.
<br>

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

O'Connor always seemed to tell the story in chronological, matter of fact fashion, just like I did/had to for term papers in college.

Great explanation Hawk, I feel the same way. Given their backgrounds-----Elmer a cowboy, and Jack a writing prof--------it makes perfect sense IMO. I greatly enjoy reading both authors depending on my mood, but always take Jack at his word, and filter what Elmer had to say.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I think Elmers message back then is still valid today, when boiled down I think (IMO)his opinions are sensible and based on taking game animals in the field.

Pretty simple message;

Using heavy for caliber bullets and the larger calibers kill humanely and ruin less meat. pretty simple, and it still works that way today.

Never tell your problems to anyone. 20% don't care and 80% are glad you have em.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (44automag, 5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 14 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.