A
Nice goat Rick.....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bob!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fotis
Good job Rick What was muzzle velocity?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats on the buck..I'm off to do the same in Wyoming soon.

Cant wait to try out the new Scenar-L in my 7mm wby, just finished up my load work today, 180's were so easy to please that I didnt have to do much, scootin them along at 3k,they are sinister!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Yeah....we can argue till the cows come home about the effectiveness of small calibers. But there still isn't much better than a heavy bullet at magnum velocities from a 300 magnum for putting the whomp on critters at distance. That he went right down is no surprise.

That sort of "blood trail" is pretty common with them, too,even on elk, from what I've seen. The combination just tears things up... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yUP i AM OFF ON THE 20TH OF sEP FOR MINE.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Yeah....we can argue till the cows come home about the effectiveness of small calibers. But there still isn't much better than a heavy bullet at magnum velocities from a 300 magnum for putting the whomp on critters at distance. That he went right down is no surprise.

That sort of "blood trail" is pretty common with them, too,even on elk, from what I've seen. The combination just tears things up... wink

I'd agree. Been thinking about it too. Had lots of rifles to choose from in the safe; a really accurate .243 WSSM with the 105, a couple of .264" caliber choices, and the .300.

My confidence level was high on that shot angle with the .300. The Creedmoor or .264 WM would have had no problem either. I think I would have waited for a broadside shot with the WSSM.

The .300 with the 230 OTM I'd feel confident in at a mile. smile

A friend shot a doe antelope in Wyoming with a wildcatted 6.5 at 1503 yards this year.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I passed on this goat below the first day about 30 minutes into the hunt. Could have shot him out of the truck window like a prairie dog off of the mirror at 250 yards. I couldn't do it. It would have been anticlimactic.

I have had similar happen to me, consistently. So much so, that the long range opportunities have just not really presented themselves and I'm not gonna pass on an animal I would like to have just so I can shoot it at a farther distance.

Stalked as close as possible. It was 822 yards according to the range finder. Found a spot to go prone, dialed and held wind. Saw big time mirage even though the wind felt light. Figured full value and held a tad less which was 3/4 mil.

Missed

I'm sure I held too much and had a complete miss.

I've often been amazed at how the guys on Long Range Pursuit and Best of the West etc get first round hits in the vitals at 800+ yards. I have often wondered if they are really doing it with the first round or if the 1st round is often a spotter round that gets edited out. Your experience with this 'lope adds a little clarity to that. Thanks for being honest about your miss.

I practice at long range a bunch so I can be prepared should such a shot be the only thing that presents itself, but the wind, as you have pointed out, is a real bugger and except in very limited circumstances, I would not be confident in putting the 1st shot in an 8" kill zone on the first shot, at much beyond 500 yards. My targets are mostly 8" round plates, and one 12". The distance I am consistently putting the first round of the day in one of those plates is the distance I put my self imposed distance limit at. Being sure of that 1st shot is extremely important to me. A miss is fine, but I hate wounding something I have any respect for and I HATE wondering if I missed or wounded. I guess I'm more if a medium range hunter�

Beautiful Pronghorn and sounds like it was a heck of a fun hunt.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting, looks like a good hunt.

Pieter

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

I practice at long range a bunch so I can be prepared should such a shot be the only thing that presents itself, but the wind, as you have pointed out, is a real bugger and except in very limited circumstances, I would not be confident in putting the 1st shot in an 8" kill zone on the first shot, at much beyond 500 yards. My targets are mostly 8" round plates, and one 12". The distance I am consistently putting the first round of the day in one of those plates is the distance I put my self imposed distance limit at. Being sure of that 1st shot is extremely important to me. A miss is fine, but I hate wounding something I have any respect for and I HATE wondering if I missed or wounded. I guess I'm more if a medium range hunter�

Beautiful Pronghorn and sounds like it was a heck of a fun hunt.

John

The shot I missed I wanted to err on the side of missing completely rather than hitting the animal where I didn't want to.

He was facing to the left perfectly broadside. His nose was to the wind. I didn't want to hold too little wind and hit him in the guts or ass, so I held a tad more left knowing that anything in the shoulder or behind would be DRT. It was a clean miss having held too much wind.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by sambo3006
He said he followed the group and bumped them 3 more times. I would think that if the buck was hit he would have showed some kind of reaction at some point. Antelope aren't known to be tough critters.

He also said he could never get within 400yards and they wouldn't give him a shot. Lots of critters that aren't known to be "tough critters" can get by with minor to moderate wounds under those conditions w/o showing a sign.

I wasn't calling RC out - he's never been shy and I figure he's got an answer that'll make sense. I wasn't there, I don't have a lot of long range experience and I was hoping he would share.

David

The answer is that I watched the shot through the scope. I watched the animal's reaction and have a tad of experience shooting. No Bag Sound.

The animals actually stayed there a bit and continued grazing, slowly moving over the hill. As I said, I kept on them trying to get a shot at the buck I saw from the truck. He was worth pursuing. Every time I got in range, the grass was a problem for prone, they would spot me and move or he would be in a group of goats obscured from a shot. He was fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sambo3006
He said he followed the group and bumped them 3 more times. I would think that if the buck was hit he would have showed some kind of reaction at some point. Antelope aren't known to be tough critters.

He also said he could never get within 400yards and they wouldn't give him a shot. Lots of critters that aren't known to be "tough critters" can get by with minor to moderate wounds under those conditions w/o showing a sign.

I wasn't calling RC out - he's never been shy and I figure he's got an answer that'll make sense. I wasn't there, I don't have a lot of long range experience and I was hoping he would share.

David

The answer is that I watched the shot through the scope. I watched the animal's reaction and have a tad of experience shooting. No Bag Sound.

The animals actually stayed there a bit and continued grazing, slowly moving over the hill. As I said, I kept on them trying to get a shot at the buck I saw from the truck. He was worth pursuing. Every time I got in range, the grass was a problem for prone, they would spot me and move or he would be in a group of goats obscured from a shot. He was fine.

Thanks for the response.

David

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

The shot I missed I wanted to err on the side of missing completely rather than hitting the animal where I didn't want to.

He was facing to the left perfectly broadside. His nose was to the wind. I didn't want to hold too little wind and hit him in the guts or ass, so I held a tad more left knowing that anything in the shoulder or behind would be DRT. It was a clean miss having held too much wind.

That is a great idea in practice! I appreciate you describing this distinction, as I've had similar thoughts but never applied them in that way. Planning like that is a great way to minimize risk of poor shot placement.

My bro took a shot at an elk at 440 where he over-corrected for wind. The cow stepped at the shot, and right into the bullet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for sharing the hunt with us Rick! Great pics!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great job! Rick

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Chris. It was a blast!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
thats a nice lope, and good shooting!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Nice..Congrats again.

What were overall numbers like?

Not sure what you're asking. How big was he, how many did we see, how many got killed?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
....Stalked as close as possible. It was 822 yards according to the range finder. Found a spot to go prone, dialed and held wind. Saw big time mirage even though the wind felt light. Figured full value and held a tad less which was 3/4 mil.

Missed

I'm sure I held too much and had a complete miss. Thought I may have misranged them but....
Antelope rarely ,if ever move off as if unhit even with very fringe hits.....

How do you know it was a complete miss? Not a gut shot or a pass thru in a less vital area?

David

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM
Nice..Congrats again.

What were overall numbers like?

Not sure what you're asking. How big was he, how many did we see, how many got killed?

Did it seem the drought has taken a toll on them?

I know around Santa Rosa and the South Central part of the state, numbers are way down.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.