Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice goat!

I'm not squeamish, but could do without the bloody pics myself.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Nice goat!

Mike

I hear ya. I feel the same way, but in this case I had never seen anything like it. I thought it was noteworthy and also hope it bled out so well that the meat will be incredible.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by SLM
Nice..Congrats again.

What were overall numbers like?

Not sure what you're asking. How big was he, how many did we see, how many got killed?

Did it seem the drought has taken a toll on them?

I know around Santa Rosa and the South Central part of the state, numbers are way down.

It's been raining so much up there you wouldn't believe it. Truck was muddy as hell. Water everywhere and everything was green as it could be.

I've never seen so many antelope.

Rediculous

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've never seen anything like that before, awesome pix and good job.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Nice goat!

Mike

Spare me the drama ..dead stuff bleeds.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No drama!

Just aware of the day and age we live in how easily a well intentioned pic could be lifted off of a public site and used against us!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice goat, nice shot.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think this picture is different.

I have the same feelings you have about gruesome photos guys post that are unnecessary, such as brain shot close-ups, guts, etc...

Like I say, this is different. It is "how it fell". It fell on a slight decline, head downhill. It pumped out blood quickly. Very much like a slaughter house would to insure quality meat.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A tasteful picture of the packaged meat in butcher paper and the finished mount is probably the way to go.

David

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So you're one of "those" people?

[Linked Image]

I know it's tough to come to grips about how meat gets to the table for some.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So you're one of "those" people?

[Linked Image]

I know it's tough to come to grips about how meat gets to the table for some.

grin

David

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice shot; a little blood there! Is that the halal bullet smile ?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Nice shot; a little blood there! Is that the halal bullet smile ?

Had to Google it...

halal is the Muzzy term, I prefer the Israeli term "Kosher" Bullet...LOL

Interesting read on how livestock is slaughtered. I found it most interesting about WHY the animal should be bled thoroughly...

If all vessels are not cut, bleeding may be incomplete, causing excessive retention of blood in the tissue, which can result in early spoilage of meat.

My antelope will be good smile

Last edited by rcamuglia; 09/09/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shoulda used a TTSX for better penetration.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They over penetrate.

Oh ya, GFY.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thank you. That's the nicest thing I've heard all day.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Fotis
Good job Rick What was muzzle velocity?

Yeah....we can argue till the cows come home about the effectiveness of small calibers. But there still isn't much better than a heavy bullet at magnum velocities from a 300 magnum for putting the whomp on critters at distance. That he went right down is no surprise.

That sort of "blood trail" is pretty common with them, too,even on elk, from what I've seen. The combination just tears things up... wink

I'd agree. Been thinking about it too. Had lots of rifles to choose from in the safe; a really accurate .243 WSSM with the 105, a couple of .264" caliber choices, and the .300.

My confidence level was high on that shot angle with the .300. The Creedmoor or .264 WM would have had no problem either. I think I would have waited for a broadside shot with the WSSM.

The .300 with the 230 OTM I'd feel confident in at a mile. smile

A friend shot a doe antelope in Wyoming with a wildcatted 6.5 at 1503 yards this year.

Rick: I think there is a "logic" to all this with the 300 magnums.A 230 gr bullet at 2750 fps bears more of a resemblance to a 338-250 gr than it does to anything smaller. Point being I have always thought that a 300 magnum with heavier bullets deserves to be classed with the medium bores,rather than compared to anything smaller.

We all seem to gravitate to the smaller 7mm's and 6.5's as LR cartridges and they work no doubt. But they don't have the bullet weight and mass of the 30's with heavy bullets(heavy 7mm bulles nudge into the "middle" range of 30 caliber bullets,a reason they work well).Sometimes it can be tough to distinguish between cartridges and calibers in terms of killing animals but in terms of the degree of trauma inflicted I have always thought the big 30's occupy a niche above smaller stuff due to the heavier bullets coupled with the high velocity.

Just one example but I shot a large whitetail buck up in Saskatchewan at about 350 yards with a 180 gr at 3100 fps from a 300 Win Mag.This had been my elk load earlier that year..In the manner of northern rutting whitetails he was just suddenly "there" at the field edge. He was hit squarely behind the shoulder,and broke into a run.

I got down to where he was standing and there was an excessive amount of blood on the off side, just blown out and leaked from the impact and exit.The "trail" was very short but the amount of blood reminded me that it looked nothing like what I was used to seeing from a 270 or 280.Just a train wreck,much like your antelope....exit was the size of an egg and the blood was blown out the exit all along the trail.

Shoot enough animals with a 300 magnum and I think the differences will eventually start to show up in terms of the amount of trauma inflicted vs smaller calibers...just generally more trauma. There are solid reasons that a magnum 30 can be used effectively against about anything in the world. They are potent cartridges,despite recoil drawbacks for some.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muzzleblast
thats a nice lope, and good shooting!

Yep! Congratulations!

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the compliments on the animal and all guys. Appreciate it.

Bob,
The rifle I used was a competition rile I've been using alternately this year. It's not light smile

I had it put together and chose the 230 Berger to be as close ballistically to the 338 Lapua as is possible without actually being a 338 Lapua. I figured if I built a Lapua, it would seldom be used. It's been a great rifle and the load has performed well.

When I glassed up the first goat I decided to go after there were two rifles on my passenger seat; my .264 WM and this match rifle. The former is about 11 pounds and the latter 15. The ground was not much of a challenge to walk, but I knew I would be putting in at least 3 miles.

I reached for the one that has been shooting a little better smile

Last time out confirming data and practicing before the Steel Safari, we shot some ELR stuff with friends. It continually pounded a 30" rock at 1571 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good job and nice goat. I am shooting the 230 hybrid out of a 300 RUM. The combo is a killer. Came to it in the same way as your lapua idea. Got tired of running out of 300 grain Bergers with no ,more in stock anywhere . The rum is a bit cheaper to shoot and ballistics are on "par" with the edge. Pretty sure critters cant tell the difference. I keep gravitating back to 30 cal. eventually for everything because it just works. smile

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.