-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looking to do some lake bank fishing (no boat) for trout, mostly rainbows 10 to occaisionally 20 inches. Use bait and spinners. Looking to limit it to $100 or less for both (as I am going to get my wife a similar set up and maybe the kid's something later). I'm just under 6 ft. if that matters. most of the areas I would fish have little cover to interfere with casting or I can manage it, often there's a shelf/drop anywhere from 30 yards to waay out there! using 6 pound line.

Been using my gear, But some of it was my dad's hand me downs (50 plus years old) or my own gear, never been too much into fishing so it's mostly cheap or not well thought out.

Spinning Rod; What length, Action and power do you suggest? Been looking at the 'ugly stik's', are these a good rod or should I look at something else?

Spinning Reels; Was looking at the Pflueger 'president' 30 or 35 (about $45 here). Comments on these? Any better suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 09/08/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nix the Ugly stix. They are durable and will take punishment, but thats where their good points end.

5 and 1/2 foot ultralight of whatever brand you like the feel of, ABU orQuantum will make a UL reel to match the rod size, fill it with #10 fire line sand you'll just barely be able to stay in your budget, but it will perform.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I just got my Fall Closeout catalog from BassPro and see several decent rod/reel combos that would meet your needs nicely. Just one example would be the Browning Stalker Gold Combo (sku 13-1742655) for $69.98 plus shipping. LINK

I note that the light and medium light are backorder, but the "other similar" offereings at the right like the Pflueger are at least as good.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 09/08/14.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good idea Rocky. I just got one from Cabelas with similar stuff in it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments guys.

I've got Cabela's points so they are a definite plus.

Thanks for being specific as to which reel/rod you recommend (especially the sku's rocky) as it's mostly greek to me.

I see Cabela's has several combo's that seem to save money, any of those a good idea or do they put a piece of crap reel on a decent rod or vice versa?

ingwe and rocky; a couple of the guys at the last lake I was at... that were doing quite well were using 1/2 ounce of weight (slip sinkers) with bait; will a 5 1/2 foot ultralight rod handle that kind of weight?

ingwe; thanks for the advice on the ugly stik's. A clerk at a local sporting goods said the same thing, But I am used to the gun clerks and most I dismiss as they have no idea as to what they are talking about.

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 09/08/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not really a trout angler (just ask ingwe, LOL!) and not a bank tangler, either. But a �-oz slipsinker seems excessively heavy to me. I'd think that half that would be plenty, and most light action rods will handle a quarter-ounce just fine. The suggested line and lure weights are printed right on most rods.

Frankly, I would not go with an ultralight outfit. You'll get much more general use out of a 6�-ft light to medium-light rod that'll handle 1/8 to 3/8-oz lures and 4-10# line. Spool up with a brand name 8# mono (not some discount bin bulk spool) and be ready for most freshwater work.

On the BassPro page below, look at the Pflueger combo with sku 1940862 or 1940882. The latter has a better reel. They're both 6' medium class 2-pc rods. LINK

Last edited by RockyRaab; 09/08/14.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every spring Costco carries a shimano lw spinning rod combo for ~$50. I got each of my kids one of the combos and they've used them for rainbows in lakes and silver and pink salmon in saltwater. Great combos for the money.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never seen a bad Shimano. But I did buy a Pfleuger President combo on sale at the Cabelas in Kearney on my way up to Ak, one piece is probably why it was on sale now that I think about it. Anyway it has been a faithful setup from day one, while not an ultralight I have caught everything from grayling to king salmon with no issues, I noticed the other day that sportsmans had the reels on the rack in all sizes and I'm considering buying another.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Looking to do some lake bank fishing... for trout... 10 to... 20 inches. Use bait and spinners. Looking to limit it to $100 or less for both...

For your $100 you should be able to find a couple really nice used sets. You'll get much better equipment than buying the cheapest new stuff.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For spinners and bait fishing on bottom a 6'6" medium light will cast further and fight larger fish better than a ultra light. But a ultra light is awesome fun and do good with super line, my favorite is nanofil in #10. the pflueger president is probably the best reel in its price point on the market. If you could fing a president combo with a 6 - 7 foot medium light rod you could do a wide variety of fishing. I use a 6'6" fenwick elite tech medium light cause it has a soft tip for throwing light lures but has the backbone of a medium almost.

If you were gonna wade fish small creeks I would say go with a 4.5-5.5 foot ultra light but you mentioned lakes. 6'6" ML is the best of both worlds loaded with 6 and 8 pound test you could do some damage on the smallmouth too.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shimano sedonas are great for your purpose and not too spendy.

I've actually had great experiences with the ugly sticks in the 6.5 ML range. Shorter than that and they're not sensitive enough.

I hate BassPro brand. Don't know who makes their stuff.

Browning pole would be my second choice for that set up

Last edited by pira114; 09/11/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I've seen the Penn Battle reels really cheap lately. Bet you could find a 2000 for about $50. They are a little heavy, but mine seems bullet proof. Good drags.

Fenwick Eagle GT rods are often less than $50 as well. Nice rod for the price. Okuma makes some nice price point stuff as well.

If you could swing another $40-$50, the Shimano Clarus rods are great and they have a lifetime over the counter warranty. Great deal. I've replaced two. One broke when an unmentioned dumbazz stuck the rod into the lower unit fighting a fish. Dropped the anchor on the other. Walked into the store and just grabbed a new one off the rack. Best deal in rods going in my opinion.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
ETA-

6' - 7 1/2' Med to Fast and Light to Med power rated around 6-10 or 4-8 covers a lot of ground. Reel sizes 1000-2000 for most brands.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with MM. fenwick eagle gt rods are really nice for the coin. They aren't made in the us any more butt they have kept the actions that made them famous. I had a 6.5 foot venture from walmart that I liked better than most of my high end rods. A Sedona or a president on a fenwick medium light is perfect.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Looking to do some lake bank fishing... for trout... 10 to... 20 inches. Use bait and spinners. Looking to limit it to $100 or less for both...

For your $100 you should be able to find a couple really nice used sets. You'll get much better equipment than buying the cheapest new stuff.

My thoughts exactly. Virtually all the new stuff is made in China. I have been stocking up on ebay with Vintage Johnson 110A and 110B (green) all metal spin cast reels as well as the Vintage Abu Garcia 170 (red) spin casters and the 505 (red) spinning reel which is one of the slickest and most ingenious ever made. All three reels can be found in new or nearly new condition for $30-$40. Really nice vintage Garcia Conolon rods can be found for about the same price.

[Linked Image]
Johnson 110A

[Linked Image]
Johnson 110B

[Linked Image]
Abu Garcia 170

[Linked Image]
Abu Garcia 505

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I've seen the Penn Battle reels really cheap lately. Bet you could find a 2000 for about $50. They are a little heavy, but mine seems bullet proof. Good drags.

Fenwick Eagle GT rods are often less than $50 as well. Nice rod for the price. Okuma makes some nice price point stuff as well.

If you could swing another $40-$50, the Shimano Clarus rods are great and they have a lifetime over the counter warranty. Great deal. I've replaced two. One broke when an unmentioned dumbazz stuck the rod into the lower unit fighting a fish. Dropped the anchor on the other. Walked into the store and just grabbed a new one off the rack. Best deal in rods going in my opinion.

The Clarus rods are very nice. I have a pair I use for salmon and rock fish, and the dittos on the warranty (their less expensive rods have no warantee) I took an inlaw (outlaw) fishing and as best I can tell he smacked the roof of my pilothouse while high sticking the rod which turned it from a two piece rod into a four piece O: He kept saying how he'd buy me a replacement rod but managed to skip town before making good.

I went to the shop I got the rods at to see about the warranty and they got me a new rod (though charged me shipping) They said it was the first Clarus they'd had returned and they have a couple of guides that have used the Clarus all summer long fishing for king salmon without a failure.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Have been reading this thread with great interest.. Most of my fishing is with fly rods of some type.. My main fish were of course trout, with panfish & bass when I get into good country for those..
Now, my wife is from Mich. and she has expressed an interest in fishing with me next summer.. She has fished in the past in Mich., and said she wanted a reel with "one of those buttons you push to cast". I immediately thought of the old Zebco 33'a.. But looked at a new one when I was checking out the Shimano reels ingwe mentioned.. The Zebco sounded like it was full of sand!!! So I put it down..
I mentioned the reels that have the trigger on top and are used on a spinning rod.. That would work too I think.. Suggestions on a brand??
I also want to pick up a couple spinning rods for myself.. (She has a boat and wants to try for walleye north of town..) So I need a couple spinning rods and reels for myself.. ingwe felt the Shimano 2500 would be about the size of the old Mitchell 300.. I had a couple of those at one time.. Don't want something too heavy.. But still suitable for larger fish.. Folks have mentioned the Browning reels.. Good as Shimano???
Finally, I looked up the Fenwick Eagle GT rods. Found a 7.5 foot medium light action.. Sounds like something I could use.. Most of the rods in Sportsman's or WM feel like they are built for tuna fishing.. Since I am not a spin fisherman, would the light action do for our plans. Would that action be suitable. I would like to order soon as her birthday is around the corner.. At our age, it is difficult to buy something for each other that we don't already have two of..
All help would be appreciated...

Molon Labe
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick with Shimano over Browning. I've never tried a Zebco style reel so don't have an opinion. My gear is now mostly pretty old Penn, Mitchell and Newell reels and Fenwick and custom rods. But I don't need better. My lightweight spinner is a Mitchell 308 IIRC.

A custom made fishing rod can be quite economical and would make a fine gift for someone special. Also any rod can be personalized. You might find some better quality gear in the classifeds on a forum that specializes in fresh water fishing.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the Cabelas Tournament ZX reels. The models I have were bought 8 years ago and they have battled some nice size fish. The drag is smooth and the gears are solid. They are Daiwa reels with Cabelas name on it for less $$$. For a rod I like the St Croix Triumph Medium Lite 6'6 fast action rod. I caught this monster with that setup while trout fishing with 10# fluorocarbon line a couple weeks ago.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Have been reading this thread with great interest.. Most of my fishing is with fly rods of some type.. My main fish were of course trout, with panfish & bass when I get into good country for those..
Now, my wife is from Mich. and she has expressed an interest in fishing with me next summer.. She has fished in the past in Mich., and said she wanted a reel with "one of those buttons you push to cast". I immediately thought of the old Zebco 33'a.. But looked at a new one when I was checking out the Shimano reels ingwe mentioned.. The Zebco sounded like it was full of sand!!! So I put it down..
I mentioned the reels that have the trigger on top and are used on a spinning rod.. That would work too I think.. Suggestions on a brand??
I also want to pick up a couple spinning rods for myself.. (She has a boat and wants to try for walleye north of town..) So I need a couple spinning rods and reels for myself.. ingwe felt the Shimano 2500 would be about the size of the old Mitchell 300.. I had a couple of those at one time.. Don't want something too heavy.. But still suitable for larger fish.. Folks have mentioned the Browning reels.. Good as Shimano???
Finally, I looked up the Fenwick Eagle GT rods. Found a 7.5 foot medium light action.. Sounds like something I could use.. Most of the rods in Sportsman's or WM feel like they are built for tuna fishing.. Since I am not a spin fisherman, would the light action do for our plans. Would that action be suitable. I would like to order soon as her birthday is around the corner.. At our age, it is difficult to buy something for each other that we don't already have two of..
All help would be appreciated...

The 2500 shimano is my favorite for a medium duty bass reel. It has the same body as the 1500s but the spool has a bigger diameter, just like the 750s and 1000s do. A light action would be ok but a medium light is far more versitile. Winchestermodel70 is spot on with the rod recomendation as has been echoed several times. I use a 6'6" fast action fenwick elite tech medium light. I have a 7' light and some shorter ultra lights but the 6'6" medium light is by far the most versatile. A 1500 shimano would do you well also. I have a great fondness for the pfluger arbor reel too. The smallest version of it is perfect for a light - medium action rod. A daiwa 2000 is a medium size reel also but I prefer shimano or pfluger based on my experience. I bought 3 daiwa pros at bass pro a few years ago, all but one feels like your grinding corn now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.