Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I spent part of this last North American Summer in South Africa and Botswana at my camps, and with my staff. I did bring a firearm even though I had no intention of hunting. I just don't go there without my rifle any longer. My team visited quite a few new locations and old friends as well.

Traveling with my own rifle is a good way to assess the various firearm processes first hand. It's one thing to make assumptions, or to pass on second hand what this is like as an outfitter. However it's another thing entirely to go through the process every year and see exactly how this goes first hand.

I fly delta only now, at least until further notice and based on some really big changes to the way SAA operates their flights and provides customer service. SAA might be an option in the future, but for the last 4-5 years I will not fly them.

Delta was flawless with the two checked bags free, ( this is often a problem with SAA and domestic connections.) They want to charge you for the domestic portions of the flights. Checking all the way through to RSA from Salt Lake City, with my ammo in an MTM ammo case in with the rifle. No problems here. There was a question about my gun being legal to bring into RSA by the Delta agent in SLC. She wanted to see my gun permit showing that RSA was permitting me to bring the rifle into the country.

In the future I will have photo copies of my Air2000 paperwork so I can overwhelm the gate agent. This is absolutely not needed legally. However if you want to cover the potential delay and just blow through the process have something to provide a gate agent showing the permits are done. I used my 4457 to prove I had the permits which was in itself a joke. It's not proof of much. Certainly not an RSA permit, and absolutely no proof you own the gun. Regardless the gate agent nodded Okay and off we went. This is why if you have the dozen sheets of the RSA paperwork with the 4457, passport copy, invitation letter, etc, they will be overwhelmed with goodness! letting you zip zip zip your way through this stressful part of the trip.

Arriving in RSA with Air2000 support is a dream. Air 2000 needs to open a office for returning Americans to the USA! I'm usually out of the airport with my rifle faster then a fella with only a carry on bag! They whisk you through the dignitary-celebrity immigration line collect your bags and put you in the front of the SAP line to get through the process instantly. There were other " Permit companies" in the SAP office at the same time, they moved aside and air2000 folks were put in line first. They must have some kind of unspoken seniority in that office, or pay the right people to achieve this. As far as I'm concerned there is no other option for this service. Just being greeted and getting through that immigration process without any line is worth the price alone! I'll also add they are the only company that can clear your rifles for you and hold or deliver them to you in camp. Should they arrive late or some other mishap occur. Other companies may claim this, but they will require outside support. Air2000 is self sufficient in this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Botswana will resume hunting shortly. This is not a guess, or personal opinion. It's coming!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There are some regulations changing in all of RSA. Natural game and the movement and transfer of species between provinces, export permits, and even the PH standards for the country rather then each province are all under scrutiny now (still). More on this to follow. The paperwork to export species will change. This may be invisible to the client hunter, but the level of tracking what animal was shot, where, by who, and where it's getting shipped to will involve more National paperwork that is only/ mostly province dependent today.

It seems there are folks that ship species from Provinces they were not shot in and this is causing some heartburn for nature conservation. Some more deliberate tracking of the movement of trophies is looming. We will see where this goes. It may have originated from the so called " canned lion hunting" which is being scrutinized around the world today. Comparisons to PG are being made and this is stirring the pot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Game prices are spooky, not even sure how this kind of price level will allow future hunting in any of Africa. I was at auctions, and have in hand the documents for auctions showing the current prices for live trophy breeding species. 50" cow buffalo going for 1m rand, 45" hard boss bull buffalo selling for 1.5m rand, 45" sable 3 years old selling for 100,000 USD! 65" Kudu selling for 75,000 USD.

The cost of bigger then average trophies of most species alive for breeding is driving the cost of bigger then average trophies through the roof. In meeting with more then a dozen landowners and outfitters they are all getting to the point of prices based on size now. Rather then just a trophy fee for whatever you shoot. ( I have fought this for 20 plus years) this however seems to be a coming attraction! I was culling Kudu from a property with the land manager. He was telling me which to shoot based on the future trophy potential of that animal. We culled 2-3 year old bulls from the property that had shallow curls or smaller then expected growth for their age. He is absolutely fixed on developing this super population of giant bulls. The strategy is very similar to the whitetail management in Texas. He took me to a location on the property one evening where we sat til dark.

In the last hour of light I saw 25 bulls over 55" and a few well over 60". One he said was darted and measured at 65" and 7 years old. He was called and asked for a 68" plus bull at 75,000 USD. He darted this one to see if he could sell it for that price. Those smaller were young with crazy deep curls which will all be well into the upper 50" range at 7-8 years old. We were in a ground blind close to them at a small water point which is used by this land owner to assess his population, and dart and sell the monsters he is developing. This is not a unique situation. When a landowner can sell a single big bull for breeding to another landowners population for improved genetics, he makes more money in "profit" for this single bull then he will make for a whole season of taking clients hunting! and no effort or stress with lodging, vehicles, PH's, and other staff!

This same management strategy is happening with Sable, Buffalo, waterbuck, nyala, etc etc. This however pales in comparison to the next new wave of interesting game management projects.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Game color variations.
Black impala, several new Wildebeest, " king wildebeest" "golden wildebeest" saddle back blesbok, black blesbok, white blesbok, saddle back impala, springbok are the same variants of color as well. Then we have the Cross breeding of species. The color variations are crazy popular now. Of all the species I have seen that have been bred and developed for color the red brindled wildebeest are the one that is most striking to me.

There have always been melenistic and albino colors in nature. In the wildebeest there have also been the odd reddish color that was quite striking. These rare naturally occurring oddities have been captured and bred in captivity to increase the percentage of desired colors. Today some of these black impala are selling for 15,000 USD or more. Those Black impala with 27" horns can fetch 25,000 USD. Same with a big brindled red color Blue Wildebeest, they are fetching 50-100,000 USD per animal. I visited a single property with 50 black impala and at least that many red and " king" wildebeest.

It will be interesting to see where the color variations go. This is amusing, to me although much less interesting as an actual trophy. I'm still old school and prefer the natural colors we are most used to seeing. With possibly the red Wildebeest being the exception for my taste. I've seen them in the wild 25 or 30 years ago, which has stuck in my mind a long time.

The less desirable and maybe even silly cross breeding species like Red Hartebeest and Blesbok, or Blue and black wildebeest. There are others as well, but this is a far less interesting and for me even a revolting situation right now. Not sure what is going to come of this, but I don't see it as a valued future by creating totally new species of cross bred game.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Next, The mining companies which are buying up land in the Northern Province will forever change the hunting industry in much of the territory. The RR tracks and power lines criss crossing the landscape, and the complete leveling of millions of acres of prime hunting land for coal is so much bigger then anyone could have ever imagined. The capture of game going on in many of these areas to relocate these animals is so drastic and astonishing that anything I would write here would seem as if I were embellishing and creating some crazy made up story. I met with many land owners that have already been paid for the land and are still hunting to for two more years by leasing it back. These properties will be hunted out for trophies with no further investment in lodging or upkeep. Then they will be hunted for biltong until everything is killed off or captured and moved.

The coal business is so huge and overwhelming right now that there is no way to describe the massive operations to strip the bush right now unless you could see it in person. This is going to consolidate much of the hunting to other locations in the coming years. Between the land claims of the late 1990's thru the mid 2000's and now the millions of acres of hunting locations being taken by mining. The reduction of properties will make those remaining much stronger. Yet very likely with typical supply and demand more expensive to hunt.

I know one landowner personally that sold his property this year. He had 8,000 acres, sold for just shy of 20m USD. His coal is 56 meters deep, and only 2-3 meters under the surface. Then there is 10 meters of water below that coal, and then another 30 meters of what they described as Prime clean coal. The Chinese have been buying every kilo of coal they can get from RSA. This land owner had a brilliant hunting location and beautiful lodge in the deep bush along the Botswana border for a section of the property. It will be leveled and stripped of coal now.

None of the property along the Limpopo river can be mined. However it will not be much of a hunting location when you are surrounded by RR, power lines and heavy equipment with dynamite explosions frequently during your exciting safari adventure! Things have changed quite a bit in some of this region. Yet other areas are just as wild and beautiful as you could imagine. Some of the hunting locations further away will definitely improve with additional hunters and security for the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, the return with the rifle to the USA in Atlanta.
First, Atlanta might be the biggest influx of firearms from international travel of any USA airport. The travel to RSA for the last 15 plus years with SAA and Delta has been very high to and from here. These folks are not shook up seeing a rifle or gun. It's just about a daily occurrence. When I arrived back in Atlanta at 6am we were in the immigration line for 20 minutes. This was after the new new Fancy Schmancy self immigrate passprt scan and photo session with the machine. Then to baggage claim, and off to the gun office to import the rifle case. There were 20 people in this line, each going through one at a time. I was in this line for an hour including collecting the bags from the luggage carousel. From here we had to go recheck our bags.......... wait........... gotta wash our shoes, and now go through customs for a bag check to gut the bags in search of contraband. This line was almost 2 hours long! Some folks passed through and some had to have the bags opened for a peek! From here we had to get back in the line to go through the Xray to get into the secure area of the airport. That line was about another 20 minutes. Odd to me, we were in a secure US Customs area, and had to go through security to get to the secure area of the airport. I'm all for the security to fly safe, but this seemed redundant, and crazy! What a bizarre thought that we would be able to somehow get our hands on some type of illegal item within US Customs secured property? So to get back into the USA it was over 3 hours and we had a 4 hour connection. I would not in the future plan a less then 4 hour and preferably 5 hour layover. I was getting paranoid watching the clock. Funny..... We had four hours at the start and I was as relaxed as an old cat. However that time clicked by faster and faster until we were at the gate just as boarding had started! Funny, I can enter another country with a gun in 30 minutes, but I cannot get back into my own county in over 3 hours.

I'm contemplating a flight from Joburg to Tijuana and then just walking across with the illegals who have no such hurdles to get into the USA, not the least of which is washing our shoes to enter our own country!

There are more things I learned and will share as I get time to post. Over all RSA is still the greatest hunting location on earth. In this region of RSA there are 28 natural wild indigenous big game species that offer exceptional hunting challenges nearly year round. It's without question the most affordable and well organized big game hunting location you can get to on earth today.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent report. Very close to what I experienced just a few weeks ago. I was shocked how slow the lines were in Atlanta.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JJ,

Thanks for the report.

I was going to mention to you that is sounded like Texans had invaded and took over the RSA with the emphasis on breeding huge trophies for huge dollars, but you beat me to it.

What's the world coming to?

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the report, very interesting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JJ: In what city did the agent ask for your SA gun license?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was flipping through a big game magazine in RSA last July and was amazed at how much some of these animals were bringing. I saw pages of auction figures with new world record after new world record. It is BIG business!

Eric

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JJ: The reason you must screen your bags after exiting the international arrivals section before mingling with your fellow Americans in the Atlanta airport is because of the huge variation of security screening standards around the world. Just because Mohammed's bag screened in Bumphuck Egypt by a fellow camel jockey did not blow up a plane load of his fellow Islamic radicals does not insure that the next plane he gets on from Atlanta to Seattle is safe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear Customs is so slow at TL. They have a new International Terminal which is a dream to leave from, and could be they are still coordinating the new facility. I have flown internationally a couple of time since the new terminal opened, and it has been pretty smooth coming back, although I was not traveling with guns.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I live outside of Philadelphia and have been on ten African hunts (two with JJ). I've flown from Atlanta, Dulles, and JFK. I've experienced the same delays as JJ when returning to Atlanta, but never at Dulles or JFK. Obviously, a lot depends upon where you live when choosing a departure/return airport.

I've found the most convenient airport to use when making a connection in RSA is JFK in New York. The flight leaves early in the morning and you can make connections in RSA without an overnight stay and therefore avoid the SAPS clearance delays in Joberg. If hunting RSA you arrive early enough in the day to make the ride to camp easier. No stop in Dakar either.

I've never had a problem with guns in NY. When checking in a NY Port Authority police officer is called to the check in gate and they normally just check to make sure your guns are not loaded then walk with you to TSA where you check in your guns. On the return you just go through the normal customs stuff and you're on your way. No involvement with NY police on the return trip. None of the long delays like Atlanta where they run your guns through their stolen gun data base. No boot cleaning either.

The only downside to NY/Dulles is you're flying on the SAA airbus but I'll take that over having to spend 3-4 hours going through the gun stuff in Atlanta and worrying about making connections in time.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing this insight JJ.

I just spent a couple of weeks hunting in Limpopo with a PH who grew up in the area I and learned much through his sharing of information with me during the hunt. I'll spend another couple of weeks there beginning October 1.

We visited many different properties and I also witnessed first hand the color breeding and excessive pricing of these mutants as well as the extremely large trophy animals.

I too am of the old school approach and I appreciate the wonderful African animals in the good old form that God made them. I just do not get the attraction of most variations, and even though I too like the red wildebeest as well as some of the springbuck variations, I don't see the excessive prices being charged for them. To each his own I guess.

What really amazes me is that these high prices are somehow being supported in the "supply and demand" scenario... Who the heck is actually paying the kind of money being asked for these trophies in the numbers that are obviously in place for this to continue?

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Labman95
I live outside of Philadelphia and have been on ten African hunts (two with JJ). On the return you just go through the normal customs stuff and you're on your way. No involvement with NY police on the return trip. .

Do you make a domestic connection to Philly, or drive from JFK? Going from the International terminal into the Domestic terminal was where some of us have the nightmare with guns.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice report JJ.

This year i also saw a few locations that the property game was going to be reduced. Round up and sell or shoot off for biltlong. (spelling?)

When i was talking to a property owner and they were looking at reducing the Blesbuck population by 1,000+ and selling it. There were also impala, black wildebeest,red hartebeest, giraffes, zebras on the place that were going to be taking a hit. Dang i wish i had gotten a Orabi permit, they will be gone. I did not know i had the option on taking one. The price was right. an example, i was asked if for $200 you could have a very nice second Blesbuck.

Land claim is big and getting bigger in SA as it is being extended. A New report has it that the SA government is looking at passing a law where the workers on a farm/ranch will be equal owners 50/50 with the current owners. Therefore the massive shoot off (game reduction) before the this ownership transfer takes place.

Last edited by Bwana338; 09/09/14.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Returned from SA two weeks ago. Left from Colorado Springs, direct flight to Dulles, then on to Joburg via a stop in Dakar for fuel, etc., then on to Port Elizabeth.

Used Gracy Travel for the first time ever, and was extremely pleased with their attention to detail and handling of firearms permits. Used their meet and greet coming and going thru Joburg, and getting thru customs and the SAP was a breeze. The return to Dulles was a pleasant surprise- off the plane, on to the bus, then thru customs. I handed my gun case off to a guy who simply asked if the locks were TSA (they were), then on to the boarding gates- no boot washing, no ammo inspection.

The return from Port Elizabeth to Joburg had me take my locked ammo box out of my checked baggage and check it as baggage by itself. I was prepared, due to Gracy warnings, and had my name, address, and TSA lock on the box, so all I had to do was just hand it over.

This trip notwithstanding, travel with firearms anywhere in the world is getting more difficult and complicated, for sure.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I flew SAA form Dulles to Johannesburg and then Phalaborwa - Johannesburg - Dulles home. It was all very easy. No issues whatsoever.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was to RSA for my first time this past summer, so I hope my opinions will not be scoffed at; just know that I am starting to learn about the history of Africa, hunting there, etc.....i.e., I'm a "Noob"!

1.) Flew from Detroit metro to Atlanta, then Atlanta to Joberg. I've heard so many horror stories on forums such as these that I was waiting for "the shoe to drop"....it never did. My hunting consultant did an excellent job on preparing me for what paperwork to have, how many hours to leave between flights, etc. I flew Delta all the way, as I didn't want to have to collect my guns from one airline to the next and then recheck them, and I flew Delta as they had a nonstop from Atlanta to Joberg (no stops in Amsterdam, U.K., or other gun unfriendly spots).
In Detroit, they asked to look at the firearms and checked my ammo....the ticket clerk said he had a guy come in the previous week with his ammo in a ziplock baggie, which is why he now asks to see ammo. Other than that, no hassles.....

As for some of the other "new" species: I guess those that have hunted Africa over and over again need something "new"...as for me, I would just like to hunt the basic species. I think that some of the "New" species are quite striking, such as the copper springbok, but I don't hunt to put heads on the wall, per se......I hunt to hunt. And some of those "new" critters look down right ridiculous!!!! That "king" wildebeest looks like a cross between a blue wildebeest and a hereford cow! I'm hoping that the ranchers don't put all their eggs in one basket, as some of us don't have the means to pay for these higher priced trophies....if that's the clientel that they want, I'm sure they'll get it....but there are more "regular" hunters who would just enjoy the experience of hunting Africa for a first or second time than paying through the nose for a huge trophy.
....and I must add that when I look at a website and see that "trophies" are priced based on the size of the antlers, I move on.....that's NOT why I hunt, and I think that this "cult of the antler" which seems to predominate deer hunting now a days will be the final nail in the coffin to eliminate hunting.

...as to race relations in RSA: I certainly hope that people will be able to work things out. I know a little bit about AFrican history and what happened in Zimbabwe and I know that white South Africans are VERY concerned that the same thing will happen there......I hope wise heads prevail, on both sides of the issue......because I really want to go and hunt in SA again.

As for TSA in Atlanta: They are all IDIOTS!!! BAstards tried to take my amarula...bought it at the duty free in Tambo (after our bags were checked)....Delta let us bring it on in our carry on (as did several others). No issues....it's in a sealed bag and marked "duty free". Fly 15 hours with it to Atlanta; get to Atlanta and aren't allowed anywhere except where the guide you (i.e. you are not in contact with anyone/anything from the outside). Go through and get our luggage, then go to get the rifles, and finally through USDA to get our boots sprayed....the whole time the loudspeaker is blaring DO NOT OPEN YOUR LUGGAGE!!!!! So we go through the second check point after checking our luggage and are told that the amarula didn't pass some test.....course the idiot who did the testing made the mistake of saying that it never passes the test. So my question is, if it never passes the test, how can it be a good test? I mean , if every bottle "fails", then maybe you need to look at another means of testing? Guy just shrugs and says I can take it if I put it in checked baggage (realizing, of course, we checked our baggage 20 minutes earlier before getting in the huge line to be screened a second time!). So I take my backpack, with my boots, and wrap it up in a blanket and check the backpack...Amarula made it through without a problem (or blowing up) on the way to Detroit.
So tell me, Mr. TSA idiot....if it's not safe to go on the airplane in my carry on, because your "scanner" says it's a danger.....how come it's not a "danger" (i.e. will not "blow up" or do whatever nasty thing you think it's going to do in my carry on) in my checked luggage? I think the whole thing is a scam just to rip people off of their hard earned possesions......They need to change the "S" in TSA from "Security" to "Scam" or "steal".....the cretins certainly don't make me feel any "safer" with their reactionary and arbitrary measures, that's for sure.

Anyway.....rant off..........FWIW.........

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn JJ......that's kinda depressing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hatari

"Do you make a domestic connection to Philly, or drive from JFK? Going from the International terminal into the Domestic terminal was where some of us have the nightmare with guns."

I drive from my home to JFK. I checked into flying from Philadelphia, but all the commuter flights land at Laguardia airport instead of JFK. Getting from one airport to another just seemed like to much of a hassle/potential problem to me, so I just drive or use the service of a shuttle from Phila. to JFK. I check in at the international gate.

Last edited by Labman95; 09/10/14.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
JJ - are you now hunting in Botswana as well as RSA??

Tom Z.

Last edited by Labman95; 09/10/14.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have relationships in both Botswana and Moz right now. The croc hunting in Moz is the best deal going. Culling croc's and 1 big trophy croc on a 7 day hunt.

8000.00 bucks. only one permit for export but the guys are shooting multiple crocs on the trip.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hack, good report. When you left RSA do you have to go back to the RSA authorities with your gun before leaving the country or do you just check it in to Delta baggage check-in like the rest of the luggage?
Private e-mail is on the way.

Rolly
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.