Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any recommendations for a good mud/snow tire? 1/2 ton quad cab 4WD, not used for towing or extra heavy loads, road noise takes second place to good traction in mud and snow. Not fond of all-seasons, prefer something with some side lug. Thanks

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooper ST Maxx or Goodyear DuraTrac. Had em both and both are fantastic tires.

The ST Maxx is heavy but the sidewall is STOUT! The DuraTrac doesn't have as stiff of a sidewall and is lighter. I went with the ST Maxx this go round just for that reason

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have coopers on my suburban ,they are ok. If traction in snow is the priority BFG ATs. Are one of the best I have ever seen. Have them on my K5 and had a set on a samurai. Not the best for ride and handling but neither are the coopers. Always a trade off..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If snow AND mud are on the menu, the Duratrac is pretty hard to beat. Kanati makes a copy called the trail hog. Same tread but a 3 ply (vs Goodyears 2 ply) sidewall and a bit cheaper to boot. I am running them now and they are noisy, but go very well in mud and such. I drive a crew cab diesel and I think they would be better on a gasser. Both the duratrac and the trail hog are mountain snowflake rated. The BFG is supposed to be good in the snow but bad in the mud, but I have never run them so I don't know.

Last edited by K1500; 09/08/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run BFG on five vehicles, currently a Dodge 2500 Diesel and can assure you they are great in mud.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Myself, JJHack, and my elk hunting guide freind all use and swear by Toyo Mud Terrain tires. Awesome snow and mud grip, and my last set went 60,000 hard use miles including towing trailers etc. and lots of rock crawling before I needed to change them out, and they STILL had a lot of tread, far more than just legal to run, on them. I get the 10 ply rated or load range "E" tires and never worry about a rock or stick giving me a flat in the backcountry. My spare tire is one of the Toyo M/T's I took off when I last bought a set of tires for this truck. My truck, by the way, is a 6,000lb dry weight heavy duty Avalanche. And I drive it and use it hard both on and off the road. My next set of tires will be another four load range "E" Toyo Mud Terrain's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS agree 100% that the BF Goodrich AT's are terrific in basic snow over blacktop, but they will clog up and become slicks very quickly in very much mud. Outstanding dry pavement traction for an all season tire, as well. Sherri actually ran them when she took her F/I 318 powered Jeep to the drag races, and those tires were a BOOGER to try to get to slip or do a burnout with! She finally ran without doing a burnout and did great. Beating a Chrysler 300 Hemi etc and making it through a couple of rounds in Sportsmans class drag racing earlier this summer. To save wear on her jeep, she is just racing her motorcycle now. Cheaper to feed AND to fix.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

Yup

FJB & FJT
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all, for suggestions so far, main concern is mud, snow secondly, but definitely looking for a tire that will clean itself of either, and get good side bite for turning. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck, and dry pavement/noise/etc. are not a big concern. I'll look into suggestions so far, much appreciated.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have been using Michelin X� Radial LT2 & x radial M/S for years and could not be happier. Mileage has exceeded 65k every time with tread to spare but hate starting hunting season with that many miles on tires so I change them ready or not. On my Dakota V8 4X4 they work great in mud & snow of the high sierra's. My buddy in NY/PA border area's runs them on his 3/4 ton Suburban towing heavy loads (art on stone) up and down the east coast to shows.

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had a jeep for 12 years now and have had 3 sets of tires on it. BFG ATs, pro comp mud terains and good year dura tracks. Best of the 3 dura tracks by a landslide.

BFG ATs are a great pavment/ snow tire but they suck in the mud. The pro comp mud terrains were as expected great in the mud but loud as hell on the road and were good in the snow. The good year dura tracks are good in the mud even better in the snow and the road noise is less than most tires this aggresive. Love em. Will buy another set after these are shot.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I used BFG's for many years, until. A couple of years ago i had four blow up on me going down the freeway on my truck, one right after another. And after the letter i got from goodrich disclaiming any responsibility because i did not stop immediately and the tire was shreaded. How do you stop immediately at 70mph?
No more.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

We run these on all our patrol/emergency vehicles. Probably the best tire you're going to find for a variety of conditions.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I put Dura tracks on my 98 Dodge last fall, AT 6 760 feet, we get snow and they did very well in snow, but also performed admirably in last year's muddy muzzle loader season.

I might put the Coopers on my wife's Tacoma this winter as they are about $300 cheaper and she doesn't do as much deep snow driving. If you go with the AT's, you do a compromise as they are rated better on pavement. If you want 1st class snow tires, go with the Dura Track.

A lot of guys say the yare soft and squishy. They are suppose to be as snow tires are made to be softer for better traction.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Mud terrain T/A's for me.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've been happy with Fierce Attitude MTs on my 99 Cummins. They're 10 ply but not too heavy like some E range tires. I haven't had them in really thick mud but they have done well on slick clay and in the snow last winter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
BFG AT's, Nuff Said.

Yup

I've got them on my F250 and they ain't worth a crap in mud. Get something like Cooper STT's if you're gonna be on the road a lot with 'em. Look at Super Swamper LTB's if they're for mostly off-road.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Forgot about those. Had them on a suburban and they were really good tires. Maybe not the best on wet pavement but certainly not bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.