Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IDK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I am needing some advice, I have a elk hunt planned in Montana next month and would like to add some leg gaiters to my equipment stash ......any recommendations? Last year my buddies hunted the same area I am going to and they experienced quite a bit of snow, and I want to be prepared .

Thanks

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a pair of fleeced outers and water proof inners. Think I got them from Cabelas. However,anymore,I wear rain pants over my blue jeans. Nasty snowy weather I wear insulated bibs that are water proof.

The rain pants allow you to sit any where and you don' have to worry about getting wet.
There are several brands available. Cabelas are way over priced. I got a set at Brass Pro for about $50.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/05/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For rainy days or those with heavy dew, I use a pair of lightweight gaiters made by Outdoor Research. I think that I got them from REI. They keep my pants and my boot uppers dry, and I don't even notice that I have them on.

For snow, I have a pair of fleece gaiters like Saddlesore's. Mine weremade by Fieldline. They are at least 10-12 years old and have held up very well. Last year, I hunted in snow up to my knees for three days and my pants and boot tops stayed dry. I have no idea if Fieldline is still even in business, but there are other sources for the same item.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used a pair of OR Crocodiles gaiters for twenty-five years, for all activities in the snow such as alpine climbing, mixed rock & ice climbing, hunting, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, sledding, and for working in the snow, etc. I also use them when I anticipate lots of mud. I have had several pairs because my crampons tear them up when climbing vertical ice (frozen waterfalls).

[Linked Image]

OR Crocodiles Gaiters

[Linked Image]

I have never used insulated gaiters and never felt that I needed them. Unfortunately I've only seen the OR Crocodiles in red or black and I'm not sure that they are still offered in red.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The OR Crocodiles look virtually identical to the Kenetrek gaiters that I use. Not a fan of fleece gaiters in wet snow, as it gets colder as the day gets long, you will get ice build up. Anything that will absorb much water just make your legs heavier too. I love a good pair of gaiters though, hard to beat having dry boots and legs when the snow is deep or things are wet.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They do look similar. I have the Kenetreks that were free when I bought my boots and they've worked well so far.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use a set of ORs that look like the Crocodiles. They were issued to me about 10 years ago and have been excellent in extremely wet and snowy conditions. Mine are coyote brown in color though.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Another vote for the Outdoor Research gaiters. My wife just got a pair of the lightweight GTX ones in forest green. If I could wear out my Crocs I would get those.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

The problem with OR gaiters and other name brand backcountry gaiters is that most of them are made of 500 or 1000 denier nylon for the outer cover--they are noisy as he11. Kinda' sound like an all kazoo band while walking. But they are durable. I use OR gaiters for backcountry skiing or snowshoeing when I don't wear my ski pants with internal gaiters.

The best gaiters I have used are the Cabela's Gore-Tex 'Quiet Cloth" gaiters. The Kennetrec gaiters are interesting but I haven't used them.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kenetreks here and I'm very happy with them.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the softer gaiters. A lot of the ones that are made for snow sports are seriously loud fabric.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kuiu gaiters seem to be very popular and I'll be getting a set soon.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I like the softer gaiters. A lot of the ones that are made for snow sports are seriously loud fabric.

That is why I like the fleece gaiters, everything else I have seen go swish swish. I use to hunt elk up close in the timer so I needed quiet. Being an old fart now, it is mostly just sitting.

Mine never seemed to collect much water or snow though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saddlesore going "swish-swish??"

I'd pay to see that.

Seriously though, if it comes down to staying dry vs. making a little noise while elk hunting, I go for staying dry. I used REI gaiters last year. It rained every day, almost never took 'em off, and they worked great. Not as quiet as fleece, but pretty quiet if you're careful and very waterproof.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Apparently Cabela's have discontinued the ones I've been using.

Here's the closest replacement I see:

Quiet Gaiters

Last edited by alpinecrick; 09/08/14.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That is why I like the fleece gaiters, everything else I have seen go swish swish. I use to hunt elk up close in the timer so I needed quiet. Being an old fart now, it is mostly just sitting.

My lovely wife bought me a pair of gaiters for Christmas a few years and you would swear I wrapped my legs in potato chip bags.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore

My lovely wife bought me a pair of gaiters for Christmas a few years and you would swear I wrapped my legs in potato chip bags.

Like I said, an All Kazoo Band.......... grin

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dry is good, but quiet is essential if you are hunting, especially elk. My kenetrek's work great. And I stay dry with them. Like others above, I have gaitors for skiing and snowshoeing, but they are so noisy that you are more apt to see elk from camp than to walk thru the woods with those gaiters. .
Not sure they are an all kazoo band, but they will get some attention!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by forpest
Dry is good, but quiet is essential if you are hunting, especially elk.

Well dang then, I guess the REI's (pictured below) must be more quiet than I thought, I shot the elk at 15 yards:

[Linked Image]

I'd say you need to be more quiet hunting whitetails. If they're up and on their feet, elk are a little noisy themselves and you can get away with more than you can with deer. IMHO

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This year in ML season, I am wearing Bass Pros, rain pants that seem to be very quiet.

In Unit 12 there are high weeds and ferns, 20 steps and you are wet to the crotch. Gaiters don't work there.

Snowy country , which I don't get in too often now, I wear insulated bibs that are almost water proof.

I am leaving this coming Wednesday ( 2 days), I'll be back the 23 of Sept.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/08/14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.