-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Took a road trip through Idaho and Montana this weekend and happened to find a brand NIB LH Model 70 Featherweight in 7mm WSM at a little store in Salmon, ID. The owner will sell it for the same retail price as he is asking for a right hand Fwt.

It's not an absolute steal but in the current market it is a very good price IMO, lots less than you'd see on gunbroker. The wood is a bit dark on the right side buttstock but overall the rifle is a very good example of a production Winchester. The store owner had just gotten in two LH Fwt's on Thursday from a guy who had held them back for his personal collection so I don't know how long this will last but if you're interested you might give him a call.

The store is Northwest Magnum, phone number is 208-756-3006. Bill is the owner's name. He is perfectly willing to ship it.

Did I mention he had two? wink The other one was a 270 WSM. After he told me his asking price for the rifles I of course pointed out the imperfections in the rifle and noted how left hand rifles sit around forever 'cause no one wants them. He sweetened the deal a bit so I put my chin in my hand, said "hmmm, I dunno, maybe....", then debated thoughtfully to myself for the full 30 seconds required to move this out of the impulse buy category before whipping out my credit card so fast it almost broke the sound barrier. grin

Gotta love those road trips and paying attention to tiny gunshops along the way.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ss or blued, Jim?
Price?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
Ss or blued, Jim?
Is this a serious question? It's a stupid one if it is.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ss or blued, Jim?
Price?

I do not believe the short mags were ever made in ss by winchester.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop
Ss or blued, Jim?
Price?

I do not believe the short mags were ever made in ss by winchester.

Yep, a quick search confirmed. Many thanks Reggie.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah, how much? I'd love to get into an M70.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I won't mention a price because I negotiated my own and can't hold the store owner to anything, plus, unfortunately, there are a lot of folks on the internet that would come back and hold me responsible if they bought it for a price they didn't like or the rifle didn't shoot 1/2" groups all day long or something.

Anyone interested in this will have to do their own dickering, same as I did. As noted above his asking price is the same as for a new right hand model, he isn't charging the left hand "rare, no longer made" gunbroker premium. In my opinion he's asking a very fair price considering today's market.

Just mentioned it here since you don't see NIB LH Model 70's that much and figured someone might be interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for looking out for guys here, Jim...appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone here the new owner?

I called at 8:30 central, it was gone...

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought on it...very tempting. Personally just into the stainless guns lately.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I spoke to my 'business partner' and a consensus could not be reached as to the reallocation of capital. I appreciate Jim's efforts to apprise the forum though, and I hope someone from here got it!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
An update on the 270 WSM I bought.

To be honest, visions of filthy lucre were somewhat behind my decision to purchase this. Even with the softer market for the WSM's vs. the .270/.30-06 LH Model 70's, at the asking price I figured I could flip it on gunbroker and make an easy $100-300 profit, maybe even more since it is NIB.

But I started looking at it and it has a very smooth bolt opening and throw, the bolt cocking notch is timed perfectly - I've had some Model 70's that would pop that bolt handle up near 1/2" when you pulled the trigger, this one stays steady. The safety is also timed well, again, some M70's would mush into third position and easily pop out or be very hard to put on safe, this one functions just right. Inletting is good, might need a bit of relief at the right rear barrel channel but nothing drastic.

The stock looks dark indoors but outside it shows nice grain and even has some fiddleback.

Doggone if this one isn't shaping up to be a keeper. Guess I'll have to go get a set of dies and a shell holder now... wink

Added: This thing even feeds three empty cases slicker'n snot. Yep, definitely a keeper. Dammit. wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It sounds like a nice rig and a great find, Jim. I know I couldn't/wouldn't sell it if it shot moa.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.