24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you ever watched the FWP video on using bear spray? Shows a guy spraying that crap out in the woods. Has to spray into the wind to get it to hit where he is aiming and it appears to only go 20'ish under those conditions. You're going to get chewed on if you let a charging bear get to 20' before you react to it. I don't claim to have all of the answers, but I do know that you generally hear that bear spray is the only answer to a charge from those that advocate not killing bears.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A couple of different agencies went back and looked at 100s of bear attacks. In the incidents where bear spray was used, there was a very very small % of injuries, almost none. Were firearms were used, the injury rate was, if I remember corruptly over 90%. The sheep hunter that is the topic of this thread was carrying a firearm. The two Texas hunters in Montana last year or the year before couldn't stop the bear with their rifles, and one man was mauled, and then shot accidentally by his hunting partner.
Spent a Saturday a couple of weeks ago visiting with a very avid and successful hunter who had worked with MT FWP doing grizzly research- They put their faith in bear spray. Have friends who have guided fishermen in Alaska and have used bear spray, successfully. There are 100's if not thousands of documented cases where bear spray has been used successfully to deter grizzly charges.
I have never had to stop a bear charge,but I am going to go with the knowledge of the guys that work in bear country every day and who have had to stop bear charges, and who have had to pick up the pieces of people who have tried to use guns to stop bears.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another hunter was killed by a bear this week in the NWT. I think more hunters are killed by bears than any other group using the back country.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time to start pressuring SRD and the minister to take another, closer look at grizz numbers in AB and to consider re-opening the grizz hunt in a sustainable way!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
No grizz hunting there?

Anyone IMHO that trusts bear spray only is a nut

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Bear spray? Play dead?

I'd just "bear" my 45.

A .45? Good luck with that...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rog
Another hunter was killed by a bear this week in the NWT. I think more hunters are killed by bears than any other group using the back country.

Well that shouldn't come as a surprise. Hunter's sneak around like a predator looking for animals. Should they sneak up on the wrong one and surprise it, things could go south real quick!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NORMAN WELLS, N.W.T. -- A hunter has been killed by a grizzly bear in the Northwest Territories.

RCMP said they received a call Wednesday night about the attack southwest of Norman Wells near the Yukon boundary.

Weather and darkness hampered search efforts until Thursday morning.

Cathy Menard, the chief coroner for the N.W.T., said the hunter was out with a guide when he was attacked.

"We understand the guide was the one who made the initial call for assistance."

Another coroner, along with a wildlife officer and Mounties, were investigating the scene throughout the day and were to return to Norman Wells with the guide later Thursday.

Menard said she doesn't believe the guide was injured.

She hasn't yet confirmed the hunter's identity and couldn't say where he is from.

Judy McLinton with the N.W.T. Department of Environment and Natural Resources said a wildlife incident response team was also to go to the site

"They'll be working with our partners on investigating the incident and they will begin a search for the grizzly bear."

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/hunter...west-territories-1.2013845#ixzz3Dnyu5o6N

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.