Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey all,

Been a while since I was active on here, but been getting back more lately. I'm looking for some input on a belt mounted rifle cartidge case/carrier. Started out with the classic cartridge belt. Didn't like loosing catridges after a long hike through the bush. Moved to a folding case with a strap and plastic clip. It seems to flex and move over time, causing it to unfold while the strap is still in place. I've looked at a few. Most have either velcro or snaps, both of which are rather noisy.

Looking to mount this on the belt of my Badlands Monster. Could always put the catridges inside a pack pocket, but would rather use that area for something else. Any recommendations on what has worked for you all would be welcome. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sam:

My recommendation is to stay away from a box type cartridge case mounted on your belt. I used one for a couple of seasons and finally abandoned it because it got in the way of the hip belt for my pack. I suppose that other types may work better but I've never used any of them.

I carry ten cartridges in my pocket. They are in one of those plastic cases that come with the ammo.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently started using the 5 round leather ammo carriers that fit on my belt. I wet the leather and insert the desired cartridges for that carrier and let it dry. While drying the leather will form a perfect snug fit for your ammo.

Been using this for two years now and haven't lost a single cartridge to date. My last trip was spent running around South Africa for 14 days. Makes it easy to retrieve a round, or two, when needing to reload.

I carry addition rounds in my pack to replenish those I've used on my belt.

Good luck!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, I figure if I've run thru a rifle full of ammo, I'm already somewhat up the creek, so a couple seconds more won't matter - if the ammo is still in place! I carry mine on the buttstock, and have lost SO many rounds with those worthless elastic carriers that I quit on them. Besides - they point the wrong way.

I take a plastic ammo carrier from a factory box and cut it to fit the stock, with protected bullet noses aimed back. I tape it down with electrical tape on the off side, insert cartridges, then tape those in place with a folded tab so that I can quickly remove the tape.

I can carry 5 on the stock of most sub-magnum calibers, only 4 on my .338. I usually have a few extra in the fanny pack or whatever. Again in one of the plastic factory carriers, like KC said.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. Finally found one that I think will work. It's a Browning "Flex Foam" case with an elastic cord that hooks onto the top flap. Looks like it will work for what I'm wanting.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought sheaths for a folding knife on sale one time. They were not very heavy duty for a knife but will carry 3, .308 size cartridges just fine. I did put a piece of foam in the bottom to make them easier to get hold of. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Montana Slings makes the best one I've used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

This. Pat makes great stuff!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

This. Pat makes great stuff!

I third this. The five round flip is just enough, not to big, easy to access, and fits well on my side. I typically position it about 2/3 back on my right side, so it is out of the way but still easy to get into when needed. Wipe it down with a little leather conditioner at the end of the season and it will serve you well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most have either velcro or snaps, both of which are rather noisy.
If you need the extra ammo, you've already fired all the rounds in your rifle. Is the noise from the Velcro going to matter at that point?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Forget the bubba buddies and cartridge belts. Take a couple bundles of 4 rounds wrapped with an elastic band and toss them in your pack or pockets.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey RC,

You're right given those circumstances, however I don't like to carry my rifle with cartridges in it. I was taught to carry it empty and load fast when needed. Most of the time I'm walking or on an ATV enroute to the area I plan to hunt (and you can't have ammo in a gun on an ATV or vehicle up here). I load up when I'm stalking or set up in an area.

In my case, the noise of velcro or a snap isn't something I want to have since I'm not using the cartridge carrier to carry extra rounds so I can rain lead down on a critter.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one of these cartridge carriers recently and it worked well.

Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

For use on a pack belt I want them to be covered with material to avoid losing them or getting hit. . I use an Uncle Mikes.

It is a folding one-it uses velcro but it will hold ten cartridges [I use 5]. I flick the velcro off and it falls open, I have been using them for a very long time with good results. I put another five in the pack in one of the Federal cartridge holders.

If i put cartridges on the butt stock I also use a covered Uncle Mikes, It holds six I use one of them to load the chamber when I leave camp and to put the cartridge when I empty the chamber on return. Stops the round dropping and getting poked by the new pointy bullet tips.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just about perfect! Would be if they made it in a 4 or 5 pack to start with.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.