Hop To
#9167661 09/10/14
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So watched Wild TV for the last few weeks and have a wealth of new knowledge
First of all I am critically aware that I am in need of much new equipment. My short list of must haves now includes; 1 Cummins Diesel 1 ton crew cab 4 by 4.
I don't have a quad which is a good thing because what I really. need is a side by side, preferably with 4 seats.
I'm definitely under gunned by using my old winchester 3006.
I need lots and lots of camo clothing,especially underwear.
And lastly hunters seem to be getting bigger and bigger.....at least this is 1 department where I am currently up to date.
Happy hunting,
Tango

Last edited by tangozulu; 09/10/14.
BP-B2

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh man I have a friend that watches nothing else. He spends a ton of money on all the crap they advertise.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The contraptions that qualify as bows is truly astonishing. I thought it was an old tv antena the fellow was packing up a tree.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes equipment has changed much over the years. I also see the style of white tail hunting has gone from still hunting to sitting over bait. But power to them I say.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't forget you need a fully loaded backpack, head to toe camo, an ozone generator, a heater body suit and face paint to hide in one of those blinds...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Was a fella at the clubhouse earlier this summer told us that we needed all that stuff plus a sniper style rifle/scope rig to take a white tail because they are so much smarter now. Glad I moved out west I can stalk and take one with my old '06 with my 4x scope smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If they're so smart now, how come so many of them get run over by cars? Don't they see the signs that say "Deer Crossing?"

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps, those are French speaking deer?
Send a letter asking the ministry to change all the signs, making them bilingual?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A Bilingual picture of a buck jumping? Okay. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rog;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I hope wherever this finds you, it finds you well.

Speaking of packs, I weighed mine yesterday and believe I need a lighter one nowadays. Somehow since passing the "magic" half century mark a lot of things that I paid less attention to gets some perusal now..... frown

All I know is that by the time I strap my day pack onto the Camelback/NICE frame - which isn't that light to begin with - and then add a camera, spotting scope and tripod, GPS, 2 liter Platypus bladder, a few odds and ends to start a fire and make a night on the mountain doable that I'm kissing 20lbs. frown frown

Once our elk season is over the spotter stays in the pickup mostly, but it's still fun to look at stuff I'm not hunting such as the three California's I ran into on the way off the mountain yesterday.

To the OP's question, we saw an ad for WildTV the other day and our eldest and I - who are currently the only family members who are still hunting - looked at each other and simultaneously did a fake yawn! laugh

I'm sure that WildTV has some good shows on it, but we won't be the ones panning for the well hidden nuggets on that channel anymore Roger.

All the best to you this fall sir and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dwayne,

If you decide to check it out try Jim Shockey. He's Canadian and has a great appreciation for the outdoors and other cultures. Last nights episode on Uncharted about the high Arctic is enough to have you shivering in your boots.

You will not escape the advertising (unless you tape the show and then skip through)but I think he comes closer to the philosophy of many of the posters on the campfire.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim;
Thanks for the recommendation, I may just have to do that on PVR.

As an aside, Jim used to have a column in a now defunct Canadian hunting and shooting magazine - the name of which eludes me at present.....

He is/was in my estimation a wonderful story teller and I really, really enjoyed a his stories. It was the first thing I looked for in each issue.

I'll have to take a look and get back to you if I can manipulate the "machine" successfully. wink

Thanks again and have a good fall and great hunts Jim.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Game Adventures is the Magazine Dwayne. The ex publisher ripped everyone off on their subscriptions and moved to Hawaii.

Wild TV sucks in general.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Rog;
Top of the morning to you my friend, I hope wherever this finds you, it finds you well.

Speaking of packs, I weighed mine yesterday and believe I need a lighter one nowadays. Somehow since passing the "magic" half century mark a lot of things that I paid less attention to gets some perusal now..... frown

All I know is that by the time I strap my day pack onto the Camelback/NICE frame - which isn't that light to begin with - and then add a camera, spotting scope and tripod, GPS, 2 liter Platypus bladder, a few odds and ends to start a fire and make a night on

the mountain doable that I'm kissing 20lbs. frown frown

Once our elk season is over the spotter stays in the pickup mostly, but it's still fun to look at stuff I'm not hunting such as the three California's I ran into on the way off the mountain yesterday.

To the OP's question, we saw an ad for WildTV the other day and our eldest and I - who are currently the only family members who are still hunting - looked at each other and simultaneously did a fake yawn! laugh

I'm sure that WildTV has some good shows on it, but we won't be the ones panning for the well hidden nuggets on that channel anymore Roger.

All the best to you this fall sir and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

Shooting a bear from a tree stand might be really exciting for the hunter but it sure fails as a spectator sport. I will cancell my subscription before I watch another boo boo arrowed over bait.
I thing the amount of advertsing focused at hunters is way out of proportion to any other channel.
Glad you and your daughter still vgetting some quality time.
cheers tango

Last edited by tangozulu; 09/13/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW;
Good to see you posting again my cyber friend - hope all is well with you up there.

Thanks for the memory tweak, that was indeed the magazine I was thinking of.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Dwayne likewise good to hear from you. Hope all is going well for you and the girls.

Was hunting a new area this year south of Dawson Creek actually darn close to the Alberta border. Got a moose on Sept 3rd. Gonna go back up on the 20th. With the teachers strike I hope to call a big bull out for my niece. She took her first bull last year on the Hasler RD near Chetwynd.

What is your group going after this fall?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW;
Congratulations on the moose, there's not much finer for the supper plate than good moose in my books.

We're just hunting our normal stuff here Mike - our eldest has a black bear tag as well as mulie and whitetail buck tags.

I've got those as well as immature bull moose and 6 point elk tags, but honestly if I get either of those it's like winning the 649 for me and certainly not something we're counting on.

Good luck to your niece on a bull too Mike, that's cool you're taking her out. Well done sir for doing so.

Good luck on your hunts too Mike and again congratulations on the bull.

Dwayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
346 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.