Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never used the shot, but I have been tempted this year as well. Have shot two this year. Would have been three but the gun was dry. grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pat, the commercial shot loads from CCI work GREAT.I used to go after snakes the way you go after coyotes, shot a couple metric tons of them.

Use the .38s�..22 shotshells can leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/10/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree that the CCI .22 shotshells are next to useless. The .38 shells are a big improvement. But, if you are serious about the handgun snake-killing business, use the CCI .45 Colt loads. They are the real deal.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used both the CCI loads for a 22 mag and 38 with good success. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snakes ... Brrr ... yucky.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pat, the commercial shot loads from CCI work GREAT.I used to go after snakes the way you go after coyotes, shot a couple metric tons of them.

I walk away from most of them, just to stay quiet coyote hunting, but I do like to kill them!

Anyone make shot loads for .45ACP? Or would they even cycle through a 1911? I've got a nice little Kimber Ultra that's nice to carry...

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DocRocket's class on making 45colt shot shells...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8962392/1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pat, we have had several run ins with snakes this summer also.
If you have never tried shot, you may well like it. Ben and Nash have been using the .22 and .38 shot loads for years with great success. We love the shot because it allows us to shoot straight down into rocks, or back up under the front porch without danger from ricochets. We have patterned all the commonly found loads and the boys and I like the old Supper X crimped loads of 12 shot most of all. (denser pattern out to 10 feet or so) Sarah mainly shoots the CCI .38/.357 with 1/4 oz of 9 shot. Seems like she always needs a second shot, but she probably doesn't get as close as the boys do before shooting. All summer long our daily carry guns have the first two chambers packing shot. Just remember, it is a very close range proposition, so don't expect your favorite sixgun to throw shotgun patterns at 15 yards. Think six to ten feet and you will be happy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I carry shot shells in the first two chambers year round here. Lots of snakes in the summer, only shoot the fanged ones, but I NEVER pass a chance to shoot a rat. With livestock feed, dog food, corn/beans planted, etc, I shoot a lot of rats. Heavier #9 shot works best for rats, lighter works better for snakes or mice...either will do in a pinch. I roll my own using shot capsules and 1/2 a starting Blue Dot powder charge for a 158 XTP.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The first two rounds in my snub 38 are CCI shotshells.
Have shot a lot of snakes with them, work great.
Just bought some for my 9mm.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I walk away from most of them, just to stay quiet coyote hunting, but I do like to kill them!

Anyone make shot loads for .45ACP? Or would they even cycle through a 1911? I've got a nice little Kimber Ultra that's nice to carry...

They don't cycle worth a damn. Not the ones I tried anyway.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..

you put the pill right where it needed to be.

shot placement just like that is always the key.

stick with the loads you are using, as the shot is worthless, and you oftentimes need that .22 "right now" for other applications--such as when that one yote wanted to rip you, and the "snake shot" in the cylinder is a significant liability in those situations...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When working at the Ranch, I'm usually packing a Colt SAA 4 & 3/4" bbl in .45 Colt.
And 95% of the time the first loaded round is CCI .45 Colt Snake Shot Capsule.
It does a great job on big Rattlers.We're located on the Brazos River in N.TX and I kill Rattlesnakes year round, as our winters are usually pretty mild, and a lot of times, on a warm sunny day, snakes still come out to sun even in winter months.

Never had much luck with the CCI .22 LR Rat shot loads except in the barn for shooting rats in our feed room. The CCI 45acp Snake Shot work OK in a 1911,but like Travis mentioned, they will not cycle through any of my 1911's.
That's why I prefer the 45 Colt Snake Shot over all other Calibers.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/10/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
[Linked Image]

you put the pill right where it needed to be.

shot placement just like that is always the key.

stick with the loads you are using, as the shot is worthless, and you oftentimes need that .22 "right now" for other applications--such as when that one yote wanted to rip you, and the "snake shot" in the cylinder is a significant liability in those situations...

Right, it was a good shot, but I failed to mention how many cylinders it took to hit his head....grin(and I may never say).

I still wish I would have snagged that Smith Model 60 you used to have...

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

CCI makes shot loads for the 45 ACP they are better than 38 shot load IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Speer .38 shot loads work just great on snakes. I shot this one while on a prairie dog shoot in SD a few years ago. It was the last day of the hunt, and I had always wanted a snakeskin on the wall, so I chopped its head off and put the snake in a Walmart bag in the bottom of a cooler full of ice.

When I got home, the cooler was not in the truck...I thought it had been stolen. The next year I was in SD again and told the motel owner that I had lost my cooler with the snake in it. He started laughing very hard.

It turned out that a group of paleontologists had been on a dinosaur dig when I was there the previous year and had been packing their vehicle at the same time I was. One of the women in the group grabbed my cooler, thinking it was theirs, and put it in their vehicle.

When they got to the airport in Pierre, the TSA agent asked her to show him what was in the cooler...I understand the screaming could be heard all the way to Rapid City.

I bought a new cooler, but I'm still looking for a snakeskin for the wall.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/10/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Must've been a black TSA Agent cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/10/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Ahhh...down here we call that a newborn. laugh

Yes. I've killed dozens, as in multiples of 12, in the last 10 years, most with handloaded .38 shot loads. Until a massive range fire in '11, we had a pretty serious rattlesnake issue around my property. Anyhow, shot size doesn't seem to matter with the .38 as I've used 7.5, 8 & 9 with equal success and in every case, it's dead right there, right now. The .22 shotloads, at least the CCI's are damn near worthless and I lost a couple of good sized rattlers trying to make them work.

I walked in to my shop a couple of months ago just in time to see one slither behind my gun safe.

http://vid60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Rattlerinshop_zps5dfc1e97.mp4

Was at the back of the property last fall and found this one.

[Linked Image]

Was walking the creek about 1 1/2 miles from the house a few months ago and walked up on Mr. Grumpy Pants. He was far enough from the house that I let him go.

[Linked Image]

A few years ago I flipped over a big water trough and found this:

[Linked Image]

that'd be momma and 17 little ones.

My bird dog had this one backed up under a mesquite:

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, I use only shot loads because of the danger of shooting into and around rocks with bullets. My .38, .44's and .45 are all loaded with 5 bulleted rounds and a shot load except during the winter when the snakes are denned up.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Must've been a black TSA Agent cool

I understand everyone, especially the lady paleontologist, was screaming. Everybody loves surprises.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 64 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.