Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
need or want in terms of rifles? Or guns, period?

Not so long ago, I would never have thought I would arrive at a point of happy arrival and "DONE" with even just my rifles, but really and truly now satisfied with my whole assemblage of firearms. And, the number of firearms I have is not a large number at all. I am pretty sure I could count them with my fingers and have some fingers left over. I decided years ago to strive for a few really, really good guns VS a bunch of mediocer or pretty good pieces and have managed to assemble a far better group of arms than I ever thought I would or certainly deserve.

For me, the re aquisition of my full custom Mauser in 7mm MAshburn Super, plus a recent add of a cerrakoted and fiberglass stocked Remington model 7600 in 35 Whelen and a Burris 30mm tube 1.5-6 scope to go atop it, I feel like I have almost an embarrasment of riches, firearms wise. To want any more or desire someting else would put me into an area of excess and overkill as well as my not really having the ability to enjoy even the ones I have, fully. The pump action 35 Whelen allows me to better utilize my disabled hunter placard by having a rifle which can be charged and made ready from atop my four wheeler/quad or 4WD truck much more quickly than can any of my bolt guns. And, I have been wanting to play with the 35 Whelen since I was in junior high and read all about how powerful yet efficient they are. Yes, I am at the point in my disease where hiking about is too painfull and dangerous to my blood pressure. But even when I get a new kidney someday and feel much better, I am just really happy with the guns I have and see no room for another, in any form of practicality or need or niche.

I shall not bore you with what I have assembled and considered my now complete collection unless asked, I am just wondering how many others feel that with the firearms on hand they have arrived at hunting guns nirvannah and are done seeking any more for the forseeable future?

If so, what were the final pieces, or maybe one item, that when it arrived in your safe allowed you to sit back and say "done, finished, I have all that I could want for"

If you want to share what your complete collection looks like and the niches each item feels, that would be fine and I would be quite interested in that and what it looks like for you.

If you want to know what my 'complete, to me' pile of guns looks like and/or how each rifle fills a hunting scenario or niche for me I will share my (short) list.

Genuinely curious here,

Safariman / Mark

Last edited by safariman; 09/10/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mark: In a word, "yes"....pretty much. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. When I retire early next year an azzload of guns, long and short, will go. All part of a plan in the accumulation. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Yep. When I retire early next year an azzload of guns, long and short, will go. All part of a plan in the accumulation. smile
Ditto... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by EdM
Put me on that mailing list! I regularly drool all over the keyboard when you post pics of your firearms. You have good taste to say the least and I have a long time to enjoy them before my retirement. laugh

Semper Fi

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Uh, let me think� NO! As US citizens (and patriots) we can never amass enough weapons and ammunition within the current political climate, and looming economic collapse� plus more guns is always more fun! We should all continue to exercise our second amendment rights, and freedom, and when/if the day comes that someone tries to take those rights away, we can be the well organized militia, and are well prepared to defend them vigorously. I sell a gun or two every now and then, but only if it's to fund a new gun or two I'm buying/building, and the end result is always a + sum gain. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but given the significance of today's date I seem to have Freedom, Liberty, God and Country on my mind.

Foxx

God Bless America!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

"Any of you rifle looneys (like me) ever got to the point where you realy feel you have all that you need or want in terms of rifles? Or guns, period?"

No. But sometimes I do wish I only had one. First new one I ever bought in 1981 for $240. A M700 Remington Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practically and intellectually....yes. I know that many of the rifles I have bought in the last 2 years will never be taken afield until I sell them.

Emotionally....no. I'm always looking and have a list I shop regularly, buying something every once in awhile. As they say, the chase is the fun part. Thats certainly the case for me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by setch
Practically and intellectually....yes. I know that many of the rifles I have bought in the last 2 years will never be taken afield until I sell them.

Emotionally....no. I'm always looking and have a list I shop regularly, buying something every once in awhile. As they say, the chase is the fun part. Thats certainly the case for me.

Good answer, and it probably described me for a lot of the last couple of years. This only changed for me this week. I really feel that now, even my emotional riflery 'needs' have been assauged.

Having this Mashburn in the fold and the Karnis stocked and Ed LaPour built 416 Rigby make me consider myself highly blessed among men of arms.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
At the moment I have more rifles than I want yet I can't decide what I want to get rid of 'cause each one I bought or had built was for a purpose.

At the moment, my favorite, best shooting rifle is the one I am getting the least use out of. The one I get the most use out of is the most boring of the bunch.

Kind of a predicament.

It is further complicated by (lack of) availability of reloading components, especially brass, for the short list of cartridges that could consolidate uses.

At the moment I'm stuck between stuck and stuck.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Seems like there is always the need for one more......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Setting aside small rodent-y varmints for a sec ..

I could do everything I want with one rifle ... coyotes, deer, elk, cats, black bear ... in .270, .280, 7mm mag, '06 (gag), .300 WSM or any of the belted .30s.

Problem is, that's not really what I **WANT**.

So ... the cycle repeats. Prune to one, get bored, creeping rebuild 'til I'm over-stocked, "wash, rinse, repeat."

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
But even when I get a new kidney someday and feel much better, I am just really happy with the guns I have and see no room for another, in any form of practicality or need or niche.

Four days ago:

The .26 Nosler intrigues me greatly as well. Will be on my short list when I am again in a position to build rifles and use them.

whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently bought an action, set of mounts and commissioned a rough turned stock. The motivating factor was the action had been unobtainable for a few years and recently turned up for sale again. It was an impulse buy, no doubt about that. Looking at the parts now I'm thinking "why did I do this."

I'm perfectly happy with what I already own and this one will fill no holes and probably not get used very much.

With all that said, It's like money in the bank. I'll build it, play with it and then sell it when and if I see fit. Will I lose money? Sure, but it won't be all that much. Stocks, bonds and mutual funds are great but they aren't much fun to play with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your not "Done"

In six months you will be back on line with a story about the latest gun you got!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awash in guns. Overflowing. How many can a guy shoot anyway? I mean a guy with a job??? smile

Blessed to have nice rifles, and more than I need.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL. Play the disabled hunter card, then go out and drag race your UBERcycle that evening. You are one more first class schitbird. smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why George, what a nice post there. FWIW, I have missed the last few races due to them falling on days that I just could not ride. Usually a combination of pain and exhaustion. But when a race day happens to fall on one of my good days, I go give it a whirl. 8.5 seconds on the bike, 2 or 3 times is do able on those days and I am trying to live my life to the fullest I can with the cards given me, to borrow from your terminology.

Maybe some would just sit at home 24/7 when hit with such a disease and symptoms but it is my way to push through it as much as I can and enjoy life as best as can be done. If others do it differently, that is up to them and how they live thier life. I try not to judge because I am not walking in thier shoes. I would ask that of the self appointed activity police here at the same time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
But even when I get a new kidney someday and feel much better, I am just really happy with the guns I have and see no room for another, in any form of practicality or need or niche.

Four days ago:

The .26 Nosler intrigues me greatly as well. Will be on my short list when I am again in a position to build rifles and use them.

whistle

Skane, GREAT avatar there! Tell us about your uber rifle! As to the posts, there were four days in between them, and during that time I aquired back my Mashburn Super. Don't need a 26 Nosler, don't need a 257WBY, Don't need a 300 H&H and others that I had been jonesing for. This rifle replaces or scratches all of those itches. That was the very POINT I was making here.

And actually it was the arrival of two guns this weekend that really filled my basket or bucket. My two niche's to try to fill were that of 1) a beautiful Walnut and Blued Steel Mauser type rifle in a very flat shooting chambering. 2) a fast handling, reasonably powerful .348 or 35 that was (Preferably) detachable magazine fed and which would offer some serious THUMP on an elk or bear on the move or in the reprod or toothpick timber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeezus, you're fixing to shoot another critter in the ass.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.