Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...9bbd1d2-b96e-11e3-bd84-001a4bcf6878.html

They actually think the big bosses should have some (minimal) experience in the trenches before they lead those who are there. Sheesh. wink

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The ideal candidate is either someone who has been very successful in the business world or has been a military officer as schools should be run exactly in the same manner. It is also important that he/she come from far enough away from the prospective school (preferably from another state) that he/she possesses no knowledge whatsoever of the local situation. It should also be a requirement that he/she leave for another position after no more than five years, so that all of the chaos and uproar that he/she inflicted upon the district (in order to pad his/her resume) is left behind for those committed to the district to try and live with/straighten out.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You had me going for a moment mad . . . . . . . BTDT frown

I'm sure I had a few more years in me until some mili-dude with a stick up his tailpipe decided he knew what was best. . . . kids could not stand him either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not that hard! hint

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the big deal for the union? Some of the supposed teachers in the teachers' union don't have any real teaching experience even though they have occupied space in classrooms and, sometimes, no experience is better than their experiences. The wrong constituency is sounding off.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have to wonder sometimes what planet people come from where they see the vast stereotypes they claim as ordinary- not to single any individual out on that. To miss the point of the cited article certainly shows a lack of credible experience or knowledge of such things. But go ahead and focus on the messenger if you must.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of the supposed teachers in the teachers' union don't have any real teaching experience even though they have occupied space in classrooms

Really? We live and die by district-wide (100,000 students, nine 5-A high schools) benchmark and statewide end-of-course test scores around here.

What's on the tests? That's public info.....

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/staar/testquestions/

What's the teacher teaching in any given week? Districts require that teachers have to put that out on their own school web page too, referencing the parts of the syllabus (also public info) covered along with digital copies of all materials given to students and a schedule of when assignments are/were due.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Education would be better served if School Board superintendents had NO teaching experience, and no previous association with teachers.
Selecting from the pool of 'educators' is pulling them from a polluted pool.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go for it grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Go for it grin

it's no secret that I hate unions. shocked smile

Sam......

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Folks (teacher unions, unions period) ain't upset about a guy that has never served a single day in uniform being CIC of the world's mightiest military.

So why would their cunnys hurt when superintendents aren't pulled from the teacher pool?

Priorities are a bit [bleep] up in this country.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never liked or had much use for unions myself- though I do understand the useful purpose they can serve. That said in many places you don't have a choice if you want to work since many schools operate under 'closed shop' rules. (That doesn't exactly endear the unions to those who aren't inclined). Most school districts can only negotiate with a recognized local association (usually union affiliated) anyway so it's no surprise that the deal with superintendents is being opposed by a union association. Suggesting that teachers as a whole are liberal union supporters is akin to saying the military must be pro-Obama since they have done nothing to support his removal. Perhaps our enlisted men/women would be okay with high-ranking officers being hired from IBM or Dunkin' Donuts????

I do agree that priorities in this country are (bleep) up. Sorry the point seems to be getting by some folks.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...9bbd1d2-b96e-11e3-bd84-001a4bcf6878.html

They actually think the big bosses should have some (minimal) experience in the trenches before they lead those who are there. Sheesh. wink

I am guessing that you are being sarcastic.....

Should a base commander have some back ground in the military? Should a fire chief have some experience as a firefighter and how about the Chief of police? Should he/she have experience as a cop first?

Simple questions and simple answers.

Stop bitching about your school system and get in their, volunteer once a week and be a school supporter.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did nine more than the 20 needed to retire..... I'm taking a break at the moment. Not bitching about a school system either, just the laws that govern them.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I understand. Too often the uninformed believe that anyone can teach and anyone can supervise a school. Schools are low hanging fruit for the angry, disenfranchised and the uninformed.

When parents get back to supporting the efforts of the school (like what we use to see 30 years ago) we should not expect to see much improvement in student performance.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The first step needs to be Parents being Parents. Once you have achieved a majority there, the other[worthless POS teachers] will be taken care of via enough Parents that actually G A S about what is going on inside the schools.

FJB & FJT
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The first step needs to be Parents being Parents. Once you have achieved a majority there, the other[worthless POS teachers]

I am going to agree with you on parents being parents and taking responsibility for their children's behavior. On your 2nd comment I am going out on a limb here and make a guess that you had a bad experience when you were in school! Did some mean old teacher not give you a gold star on your art work when you were in the 2nd grade??

Taking a swipe at teachers/school is easy for the angry old men of the world. When was the last time you volunteered or help out in a 3rd grade classroom? Stop being angry and get involved. Make positive change from the inside rather than stand on the outside and just scream! Spending a few hours a week as a volunteer at your local school will help you curb your pissy attitude and make some good kids happy to!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Education, and anything to do with anything going on in any specific district should be left up to the locals and unions and state and federal government to hell. There is a lot involved with managing any district and it won't necessarily be the same as the district next door to it...

This country has some 2 million 12th graders this year alone that at sometime during the year was homeless, and that number has been increasing some 10-15% each year for quite awhile now. You have students that aren't eating properly, students that need counseling, just to mention a few of the problems facing a district. There's also the problems of lacking supply's, personnel, schools that are falling apart, and new technology proving what was taught in the past not to be necessarily accurate today!

Teachers are constantly having to study and relearn what they are teaching and most take it home with them, if someone comes into a new district to head that district, they should know quite a bit about that district, its people, and their students!

What ever that takes, is best left to the locals and at their discretion.

Phil

Last edited by Greyghost; 09/11/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
The first step needs to be Parents being Parents. Once you have achieved a majority there, the other[worthless POS teachers] will be taken care of via enough Parents that actually G A S about what is going on inside the schools.

Exactly. Bad ones don't last long when parents are connected with or engaged in what their kids are doing in school. Parents are the most important teachers a kid can have.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I reckon you mean discretion? they already been desecrated.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.