-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
long time ago I shot some soda cans with CCI shot loads, at 10 feet or so - .22, .38, and .44. The .22 is quite unimpressive. The .38 is better, the .44 shreds the can. Go with the .38 loads, bare minimum.

Afield this S&W usually has at least one shot load aboard:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That picture of the momma rattler with the 17 babies calls for a double barrel 12ga and 2 rounds of AA # 8 skeet loads. I've got one setting behind the back door at the Ranch for just such occasions.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
When working at the Ranch, I'm usually packing a Colt SAA 4 & 3/4" bbl in .45 Colt.
And 95% of the time the first loaded round is CCI .45 Colt Snake Shot Capsule.
It does a great job on big Rattlers.We're located on the Brazos River in N.TX and I kill Rattlesnakes year round, as our winters are usually pretty mild, and a lot of times, on a warm sunny day, snakes still come out to sun even in winter months.

Never had much luck with the CCI .22 LR Rat shot loads except in the barn for shooting rats in our feed room. The CCI 45acp Snake Shot work OK in a 1911,but like Travis mentioned, they will not cycle through any of my 1911's.
That's why I prefer the 45 Colt Snake Shot over all other Calibers.

I looked up the CCI .45 Auto snake load, interesting.

CCI says the load is intended for semi-autos only. Do not use in revolvers as recoil may lock up the revolver.

Midway USA says use CCI .45 Auto in revolvers only. Do not use in Semi-autos.

Talk about a disconnect.

It seems that the load works in some semi-autos and not in others. It also seems to work in most 1911's but not always. One has to try them and see what happens I guess.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..

you put the pill right where it needed to be.

shot placement just like that is always the key.

stick with the loads you are using, as the shot is worthless, and you oftentimes need that .22 "right now" for other applications--such as when that one yote wanted to rip you, and the "snake shot" in the cylinder is a significant liability in those situations...

Right, it was a good shot, but I failed to mention how many cylinders it took to hit his head....grin(and I may never say).

I still wish I would have snagged that Smith Model 60 you used to have...

Pat,

missing the target just doesn't sound like you--but i've always appreciated your honesty--that someone at your level can freely admit to an occasional miss...

that old model 60 traveled a lot of miles--it was a good friend (about 20 years ago, i replaced it with an sp 101 with flush fit hammer for a snag free draw).

and, i remember how it shocked you when i'd finish a yote off with it.

looked at the pics you sent to me--great job!

Savage has been asking me how you're doing. haven't seen Beyl for awhile now...we were sure lucky growing up knowing those two guys.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That picture of the momma rattler with the 17 babies calls for a double barrel 12ga and 2 rounds of AA # 8 skeet loads. I've got one setting behind the back door at the Ranch for just such occasions.

When I found mommy and 17 babies I had hopped on the tractor and ridden down to the back of the place with the intention of using the tractor bucket to flip the trough over then take pictures of it so I could sell it. For some reason I grabbed my H&R 929 instead of one of the .38's. So when I found the wad of serpents I used the only shot load in the cylinder to take her out first (at VERY close range I might add), did the best I could on the little ones, then grabbed a dead mesquite limb a d pummeled the rest to death as they scattered through the brush. I'm sure it was quite a sight...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Almost spepped on this badboy...2" Model 34 Smith came out of the holster asap....one of the reasons it's always on my belt.

Anyone ever use shot loads in their pistols? Thinking about trying some out. Seeing a schitload of rattlers up here this fall..
I've used shot loads in my .44 Mag. Smith Mountain Gun. They will absolutely shred a snake from 10 feet. I went to the Judge but had already killed the snakes out around my house. The one I used it on wasn't killed as quickly or decisively as with the Smith and Wesson 629. Surprisingly, the Governor, which only has 2 1/2" chambers as opposed to my Judge's 3 inchers, patterns better with small shot. I'd highly recommend 9 shot if going with a 410 handgun. The downside to the 44 Mag. shotshells is the expense. Doc Rocket and others have posted recipes for shotshells if you handload. I handload but have never done any shot loads for pistols. I've never tried a 38 or 357 on a snake or anything. IMO the big bores are much preferred for this type of work. That snake would make a good hatband.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've experimented with Speer Shot Capsules in .38 & .44 quite a bit and .45 ACP a little. The ones that begin with a 4 work a lot better. The .38's will pattern plenty good enough if you're closer than about 5 feet, but it gets thin quickly after that.

If you are going to load them yourself, use the smallest shot you can find.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've played around with shot loads in my .38/.357 revolvers for a number of years now; no snakes in my area, but you never know when you might move! grin
Some of the things that I've found while experimenting:
1.) The closer you are, the tighter the pattern (might be obvious to some people)....anything past 5-6 feet gave weak patterns (in .38 special loadings).

2.) The smaller the shot, the better the pattern...in both density and even spread. I prefer #9 shot in the .38 loads.

3.) Barrel length doesn't make any noticeable difference...I've shot them out of two 2" barreled models (Colt Detective special and Charter Arms undercover), a 6" barreled Colt Trooper Mk III, and a Ruger Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel. All the patterns looked as if they were shot by the same gun at the same distances.

4.) If you decide to get the capsules and reload them, DON'T use military surplus cases; stick with commercial cases. The walls of the military .38 cases were too thick, which made seating difficult and when crimped, would crack the plastic casings, spilling shot all over the place (what a mess).

5.) I've experimented with the factory loads in .44 cal as well, and if you can use them over the .38, go for it....it's like shooting a 10 gauge vs a 20 gauge when comparing patterns......but the .38's don't perform too badly, so I wouldn't feel 'under gunned".

Here are a few photos I took:
[Linked Image]

Here is what the pattern looked like at 5 feet from a 2" Colt Detective special; the bigger holes are from the plastic "shrapnel" and the base plug.....both of which add to the lethality:
[Linked Image]

I often wondered about the penetrative properties of these things on non tissue, i.e. what If I had to use them in a boat, around a stock tank, etc. I took some scrap aluminum and tried to replicate the thickness of my aluminum johnboat. This was the result of that test (i.e. at 5 feet, there was some denting, but it didn't penetrate completely).
[Linked Image]

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pat, the commercial shot loads from CCI work GREAT.I used to go after snakes the way you go after coyotes, shot a couple metric tons of them.

Use the .38s�..22 shotshells can leave a lot to be desired.

I walk away from most of them, just to stay quiet coyote hunting, but I do like to kill them!

Anyone make shot loads for .45ACP? Or would they even cycle through a 1911? I've got a nice little Kimber Ultra that's nice to carry...

The CCI shotshells in the .22MAGNUM (not .22LR), .38/.357, and .45ACP all work just fine. The .45ACP will not cycle the Kimber.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My Smith M63 with real bullets is the only piece I have killed the two or so handfuls of rattlesnakes with. All but one killed on a friends small ranch in NorCal. Never tried any of the shot loads in any round. The 63 just worked.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Scenar,

You need to treat yourself to an LCR.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I lived in S. Florida (where they have a few snakes) my fishing/shooting partner and I used to load 2 of the CCI shotshells then top off with 158gr. XTP or 158gr.Kieth style SWC. That combination always worked well with water moccasins and rattlers.

Stomping around the everglades west of Sunrise (think Fort Lauderdale)in late August 2010 we ran up on a 7'10" Burmese Python stretched across the trail that my Lab had discovered and pissed off.

What happened in the next several moments was a certified cluster -uck and some teachable moments occurred.
> Never shoot a large caliber snake with a small caliber gun with "snake shot".
> Getting a Labrador pulled back by the collar, drawing and shooting is not conducive to good marksmanship.
> While some may think a 357 Magnum is a peep squeak they probably have never had one go off several times less than three feet away from their left ear.

We did dispatch the snake, I emptied my SP-101 and he emptied his M-66.
The Burmese Python was not impressed by 4 rounds of snake shot, I think all we did was really piss him off and really got him moving.
With 11 rounds fired, aside from the snake shot, there were only 2 body hits and 1 that grazed the head/body junction. So much for all of our range time practice.
Nothing like the heat of the moment and adrenaline to effect your marksmanship.

After that I started carrying my Model 29-2.

SC

Last edited by StarchedCover; 09/11/14. Reason: spelling

Semper Fi
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's a good story starch.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

The Burmese Python was not impressed by 4 rounds of snake shot, I think all we did was really piss him off and really got him moving.

Awww. just step on his neck & stab his head. What could go wrong?

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Scenar,

You need to treat yourself to an LCR.

Travis

If they'd only make a 3in "kit gun" version with adjustable sights.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's Ruger. I'm sure they will sooner or later.

Travis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
When I lived in S. Florida (where they have a few snakes) my fishing/shooting partner and I used to load 2 of the CCI shotshells then top off with 158gr. XTP or 158gr.Kieth style SWC. That combination always worked well with water moccasins and rattlers.

Stomping around the everglades west of Sunrise (think Fort Lauderdale)in late August 2010 we ran up on a 7'10" Burmese Python stretched across the trail that my Lab had discovered and pissed off.

What happened in the next several moments was a certified cluster -uck and some teachable moments occurred.
> Never shoot a large caliber snake with a small caliber gun with "snake shot".
> Getting a Labrador pulled back by the collar, drawing and shooting is not conducive to good marksmanship.
> While some may think a 357 Magnum is a peep squeak they probably have never had one go off several times less than three feet away from their left ear.

We did dispatch the snake, I emptied my SP-101 and he emptied his M-66.
With 11 rounds fired, aside from the snake shot, there were only 2 body hits and 1 that grazed the head/body junction. So much for all of our range time practice.
Nothing like the heat of the moment and adrenaline to effect your marksmanship.

After that I started carrying my Model 29-2.

SC

lol Wish it was on video.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
It's Ruger. I'm sure they will sooner or later.

Travis

I would buy one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Son with 42" Mocassin done in by CCI shot shell out of a 3" Kimber.
As mentioned above, the 45 CCIs don't cycle, but that's why you practice Tap-Rack-Bang. LOL
Pattern density is Everything in HG shot loads, so when loading my own it's No 12 chilled from BP. Works great!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I remember Venturino writing an article that stated #12 is the bomb-diggity for snakes.

Travis

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.