Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Listen to these guys. They know PD shooting. A lot of your friends will know only what they have read.

Me, I have killed a bunch of prairie dogs years ago. I used an open sighted ..22 lr at ranges of usually around 50-70 yards with open sights. That may work, but it is not nearly as much fun as vaporizing them with a speedy center fire.

We have few left in most places. We have a small colony that we attempt to "manage" to a consistent population. The other extreme is the industrial park at Big Spring, TX, (formerly Webb AFB). Last time I was there, you had to kick them out of the way. They were likely in a die off from disease ( or poisoned). Either way, not good.

Good shooting,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I've been invited to go on a prairie dog shoot next year - actually have been invited numerous times, going to make it this time!

Rifles that will be making the trip:

Savage 93 heavy barrel 17hmr topped w/ 3200 7-21x40, shooting 20grn bullets

Remington 700 rebarreled to 6.5 Creedmoor, topped w/ SS 3-9x42, shooting 123 Scenars.

Obviously that leaves a gap - I need at least one small bore centerfire, so I picked up a new Ruger American SS in 223, haven't bought a scope for it yet or loaded/shot the first round. I need help w/ optics and bullets.

Talking to some of the guys that are making this trip about how they set-up their 223's and they tend to load mid-weight bullets (55grn Vmax), zero their rifles at 200 w/ scopes that top out at 12-16x. They range the targets, but they don't click their scopes or use a reticle, just Kentucky windage (again, talking 223 only - they do things differently w/ their 243's, 6mm's, etc).

I have never been on a prairie dog shoot, so obviously I've got a lot to learn, but it seems to me that a heavier bullet w/ a better BC and a scope w/ repeatable turrets would work better for this. I was thinking of loading up some 68grn BTHP's and topping w/ another SS 3-9x42, mil/mil.

Am I on the wrong track here?

David

I think you're right on track! A few comments:

Drop is easier to dope than wind and it seems the wind varies a bit. The bullets with high BC for the 223 are good, in my opinion.
I like 223 for the light end of prairie dog shooting. I recently bought a 204 Ruger as I've heard high praises for that. My other rifles are 6mm's. I had a lot of old loads with 75 grain hollow points the last time out. In the future I'll be trying the 58 grain Hornady's. I tried hitting dogs at 450 with my 223's and I was holding high and into the wind about a foot. It was luck more than skill when I hit. The 6mm's are better at that range, in my opinion. I think that you'll find the 6.5 Creedmore to be your long range rifle. I suspect that you'll be looking for a light stream lined bullet for that.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.