Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
So I'm in my mid-30's now and with a 2 year old son and another on the way, with working an hour from home, my time for recreation and exercise are severly limited. I'm thinking about getting a sit-on-top kayak to fish from and use in backwater areas to duck hunt and hopefully get some exercise in the process. I have a 14' poly canoe that I have seldem used since I bought it. It's far too difficult to paddle solo for any distance and is heavy and awkward to transport. My plans are to sell it or trade it for a kayak.

So far I've researched a few 12' sit-ons and for the money I am considering the following: Ascend FS12T from Basspro, Field and Stream Eagle Talon from Dicks, Heritage Angler 12 from Academey and the Emotion Mojo from Academy. I'd like something that is stable but doesn't paddle like a barge. Ideally I would be able to find a used kayak that is already outfitted, but for now Craigslist isn't turning up much in my $600 budget.

Anyone have any advice for a beginner just getting started?

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 09/11/14.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So what is the legal possession limit and length of kayaks?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I was to do it again, I'd save my pennies and get a used old town predator sit on top. An awesome platform to fish and hunt from. I bought a perception sit in, and it's great, but not exactly what I need. Luckily my brother has a predator that I "borrowed" indefinitely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking along the same lines, except I will probably ante up for a pedal model, like the Hobie Mirage (more $) as you can move the boat and keep your hands free.

You can get small fishing pontoons fairly cheap, and some have decent features. Some could even accept a small trolling motor, if desired. Fly fisherman seem to do pretty well with inflatables, but if you fish with lures & treble hooks, sooner or later a fish shakes its head at the boat, and punctures the boat with the hooks. I knew of one guy who had his boat sunk by a striped bass smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You don't say where you are, geographically. Nor do you mention exactly where you'll be using it - whitewater, slow moving water, small lakes, big lakes, ocean... So who knows if you'll be best served by a 12' boat. Though if the answer is "all of the above", then a 12' boat wouldn't be too bad.

I will say that all those brands are second tier when it comes to popularity amongst kayak anglers, with the possible exception of the Heritage.

No way you can find a used Jackson/Ocean Kayak/Wilderness Systems/Native/Hobie? Have you tried looking at kayak fishing forums based out of your area? I know there are forums for the Northwest/NorCal/SoCal/Texas/Florida area. And that's just off the top of my head.

Scott

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd avoid sitting-on-top if stability any sort of issue. Especially if white-water is a potential.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand they are ill suited for trolling for great whites. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sit on tops are plenty stable. I can stand to cast - or pee - in my Hobie Pro Angler 14" as well as troll hands free.

[Linked Image]

The Pro Angler may be beyond your weight limit (120 pounds empty) and/or budget ($3,000) but there are plenty of paddle kayaks designed for fishing in your price range.

Kayak Angler online magazine LINK has a kayak buyer's guide every spring, and you can view that issue at the link.

Lifetime Products are made right here in Utah and they offer a dozen or so fishing kayaks, and some are on sale right now - with free shipping! LINK TWO

Finally, the suggestion of a pontoon is equally good if you fish smaller waters.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My wife has this in a 10' version, I'm debating the 12 footer

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/tarpon/tarpon-120

Locally around $700. They have basically the same Kayak at
Academy for $529, but I cannot find it on their website. Probably going to be discontinued, but still in local stores.

The Academy kayak is made from the same mold as the older version of the Wilderness Kayak, but with a cheaper seat and a few other minor differences. I'm leaning hard toward the one at Academy. The better seat isn't worth $170 to me.

If you can live with a 10' version the Wilderness sells for about $600.

Last edited by JMR40; 09/11/14.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It would be good if you could wait a little while and save some more money. A paddle kayak is nice but a peddle kayak is awesome. Hobies are great especially if you float shallow rivers cause you can fold the fins on the bottom flat up against the hull. Native peddle drives have a prop, so in shallow water you have to pull it up by hand but it has reverse, just peddle backwards hobies do not. If you can't wait one of the ones you mentioned would be fine but if you get hooked on fishing and hunting this way you will end up selling it and getting a top shelf boat.

I love hunting out of a kayak, its easy to hide one and you can get where the ducks want to be.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On busy waterways a lot of guys report they catch more fish out of a yak, than a normal fishing boat, as fish have learned to avoid such boats.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Peddle, petal, pedal. Not the same.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is the one I want. I have a 10' Dirigio but I want the fishing 12'. kwg

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/dirigo_angler_family/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For your price range, you could always put outrigger pontoon stabilizers on your canoe.

I have a 20 ft Grumman and with those on, it's very easy to paddle alone. And I can stand in it with no problems.

Later as money allows, you can add a trolling motor and such.

Just a suggestion. Sorry I have no useful info on kayaks

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
For your price range, you could always put outrigger pontoon stabilizers on your canoe.

I have a 20 ft Grumman and with those on, it's very easy to paddle alone. And I can stand in it with no problems.

Later as money allows, you can add a trolling motor and such.

Just a suggestion. Sorry I have no useful info on kayaks

Set in Kayaks catch less wind and make it easier to paddle across open water than a canoe. A longer kayak is easier to row across wind swept lakes and open water because it keeps you going straighter and requires fewer directional correction inputs. But you want one small enough to get back into the hidden coves and tight spaces. I'm not a fan of set on top kayaks. But, that's just me. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have the Eagle Talon from Dicks. Love fishing out of it, but it needs a better seat, so add that to the cost. It's a well thought out yak and gives me all the stability I need, but I don't stand up to cast. It ghosts over weeds and into back waters and tracks well. I carry a little telescoping paddle as a backup, but it also allows me to one hand paddle to make little corrections in my position when I reach an area I'm going to fish. It's light enough I can slip it up into my pickup bed and tie it down in a minute or two. A little paddling has it moving well against a wind. Since it's a sit on top you can change positions easily. One of my favorite is to sit sideways with my feet in the water on hot days, letting the wind push me along. Sit in yaks are great for stability and waves, but a poor compromise for fishing.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Peddle, petal, pedal. Not the same.

Pedal then, not peddle. I don't pay attention and I never proof read. Thanks, a guy can never feel dumb enuff. grin

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks for the input guys. Keeping the canoe is really not an option. It's heavy as hell (90#) and sucks to paddle solo other than to steer it with the current. Pedeal yaks aren't in the budget. If I spend $3,000 on a boat it's going to be powered by gasoline smile

Dan, thanks for the info on the Eagle Talon. I'm wondering if the Ascend FS12T may be a better option? It already has a good seat but the specs show it's pretty heavy and I've heard you can't put a milk crate behind the seat. So many boats to chose from in that size and price range. I would love to find a nice used Malibu, Native, Wilderness, etc with some add-ons in my price range but that may not be feasible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i use an ocean kayak frenzy, to paddle shark baits out through the surf.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.