Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Going to be backpacking into the West Elks for 2nd rifle and was wondering if during that time would the elk still be up high or perhaps a bit lower down. I know a lot depends on the snow levels and all. Not looking for trophy bulls but just trying to fill the freezer. A nice cow would qualify for a trophy to me as I am still trying to take my first one. Planning on being in the backcountry for 5 nights and entering the wilderness from the south/southwest side. Doing all the virtual scouting that can be done and reading every bit of info that is out there. Being from the east keeps me from being able to get boots on the ground until the day I arrive. So far this forum has provided invaluable information to the novice elk hunter and I wanted to express my appreciation to all those that share their vast experience and knowledge.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fjelljeger:

I just got back from a quick trip out there. Did some day hikes, both low and high. It's been a wet year and the forage is good just about everywhere. So the elk are spread out. I saw a few elk in upper Beaver Creek headwaters area and at the base of the Baldies and I saw some on the ridge between West Beaver Creek and Middle Beaver Creek. I also saw some in the hay fields on Ohio Creek. There's sign everywhere. Couldn't find any place that I thought looked like a concentration area.

I talked to the regional game manager and he said that the herd on Flattop Mountain is bigger than usual. He also said that he has seen them spread out over the entire range, same as what I saw.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the info KC. I have read your post on elk hunting...the one that gets re-posted every so often. Tons of good info throughout. The West Elks look like amazing country to hunt and explore. We are planning on cold temps and snow for 2nd rifle. Working on a couple of different entry points and basecamp locations but will probably have to wait until weather forecast and accessible road conditions are determined. We are trying to get back from any road a good 3-4 miles and attempting to leave a bit of a margin around known outfitters. If you know, do you think a 4x4 rental SUV would make it up 721 (jeep hill) or 723-4? It's difficult to get that kind of "ground truth" via the internet. That bit of info is weighing heavy on possible entry points.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my old supervisors when I worked summers for the state wildlife agency used to say, "There's no place you can't go in Jeep CJ or a Hertz rental car"!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fjelljeger:

Roads numbered 723 and 724 are both pretty good roads. No problem on them. Road 721 is another story. It's good up to the entrance to Commissary Campground. Then it gets bad quickly. You need 4x4 low range to get up Commissary Hill. If it snows, you will need chains on all four wheels to get out.

Several times I drove to the end of 721 in Big Soap Park and setup a base camp at the end of the road. Then backpacked in from there. We would setup small camps on the ridges on the east side of Soap Creek and wait for something to walk by. I particularly liked the ridge that goes east from where Soap Creek and East Soap Creek meet. I call that The Old Boundary Ridge because the boundary of the wilderness area use to go along the top of that ridge before it was expanded.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We hunted the area in 2011 and again last year. We were not successful either year and in fact we saw a combined total of two bulls and one cow both years. One of the bulls was really nice, but unfortunately it was the day before the 2 rifle season started. It is a rugged, beautiful area that looks like it should hold some nice elk. Good luck.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should be able to make it to .rainbow Lake in your rental. From Rainbow, you can access the trailhead and get back up into the Wilderness.

We used to hunt 3rd and 4th season over there, but always hunted lower. Around the 7 mile mark. There were always elk in Willow Creek, but it is a steep SOB and usually required taking the elk all the way down to the highway to get them out, or there is an old horse trail that we could get them out on. The last bull we killed down there took us two days to get out.

The last time I bow hunted the unit, I found elk at timberline.

Hope that helps.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you all for the advice. I had called the ranger station and asked about 721 and they told me the same....chains and 4x4 low. If we go that route we would park at Commissary and then road ruck up to our entry point. We will be firming up the plans in the next couple weeks. Still thinking about trying West Elk Creek or one of the Beaver creek drainages. We are preparing ourselves for steep rugged terrain and wild weather. I appreciate the community of hunters this site has and the willingness to share in area knowledge. When we get back...hopefully with some elk steaks in tow, but either way....we'll be sharing what we saw and learned.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I assume you are headed for UNIT 54?

F
OP Offline
F
Yes sir.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm leaving Thursday for that area and will shoot you a PM when I return.

F
OP Offline
F
Much appreciated. Good luck on your hunt!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We will be there first rifle. Will be happy to pass on our observations if I remember.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you were hunting 53 I'd be able to contribute. I used to spend a lot of time in 53 but very little in 54.

F
OP Offline
F
I am grateful for all the assistance. After we get back from our hunt during 2nd rifle I will be sure to pass on whatever we learned to those heading out for 3rd or 4th. Less than a month away. Waiting for a full year before being able to be back out in elk country isn't easy.

F
OP Offline
F
One week left before we head out to the West Elks. From the weather reports it looks like it has stayed wet with some snow in the higher elevations. Getting everything packed up and dialed in.
Does anyone know what the snow depth is and at what elevation it has come down to? Thanks

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Weather reports say 6-12 " down to 7000 ft

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
OP Offline
F
Which weather site are you using? I have been checking NOAA Zone area forecast for West Elk and Sawatch Mountains.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just local here in Colo Sprgs. Will be able to tell more when the clouds clear, but I'd bet Pike's Peak has snow down to at least tree line.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone have any info on road 737 on the east side of the west elk wilderness?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 52 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.