Print Thread
Hop To
J
jbmi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just received a call from Cabela's CC, Some dipshit tried to use it to buy a $240 purchase from a specialty store in TX. The order was declined by Cabela's and they called me to see if it was legit or not.
It was not, so they automatically closed my account and are issuing me a new card in a few days. I don't know if most CC Co. would bother on such a small amount.
Not long ago someone charged $2,500 in airline tickets to my wife's CC and we never knew it until she received her monthly statement. She had very little hassle getting it taken off, but she was pissed that it was that easy for them to use it.
So, as far as I'm concerned, Cabela's is a great CC Co.

"The older I get, the better I was"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have a strong fraud dept. I have to call when I am traveling so they don't shut me off. Don't really mind it though and love the points.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a few years ago someone electronically acessed my card to buy a car in europe. They took care of it, and i got to keep the points.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/11/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
They have a strong fraud dept. I have to call when I am traveling so they don't shut me off. Don't really mind it though and love the points.

My buddy had the same experience but didn't know about it until he tried to use his card while out of town.
Only took a quick phone call to get it squared away though.
Seems a little extreme to me but in today's world I suppose it beats the opposite.

I don't have to worry about it because they canceled my card for lack of use and kept my points. frown

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jbmi
Just received a call from Cabela's CC, Some dipshit tried to use it to buy a $240 purchase from a specialty store in TX. The order was declined by Cabela's and they called me to see if it was legit or not.
It was not, so they automatically closed my account and are issuing me a new card in a few days. I don't know if most CC Co. would bother on such a small amount.
Not long ago someone charged $2,500 in airline tickets to my wife's CC and we never knew it until she received her monthly statement. She had very little hassle getting it taken off, but she was pissed that it was that easy for them to use it.
So, as far as I'm concerned, Cabela's is a great CC Co.

Had the same thing happen recently. They did likewise for me. When my wife used to travel abroad for work, she would occasionally use the CC overseas. They would call me and check to see if the charge was legit. They have a very good customer service and anti fraud departments.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Got shut down once on a drive to Alaska half way through filling my tank with diesel at 23:00 in Watson Lake. Had cash to cover it, as the issue could not be rectified until 08:00 somewhere in middle America. If we're headed out of region now, we give them notice.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Well after 12 years as a Cabelas card holder I just stopped using their card and went with others... We too had a bad charge (3 in a matter of 4 hours all at Home Depot) They called after the third charge and canceled the card... then took a week to get me a new card.

There are much better cards out there when it comes to fraud protection.... and actually getting you a replacement card the next day instead of a week later.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You must be the lone ranger. I got a replacement card the very next day wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't think this is unique to the Cabela's card. my ak Air card does the same thing. A long time ago, they shut it off when we were in Mexico. I've given them prior notice since.

They have sent me a new card via FedEx overnight - as they should as a cost of doing business. 1 week is nuts, especially down in America.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Of course 'overnight' to my AO is 2-3 days. smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WY usually is but they were close...eastern Nebrasky. grin

21 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In case my wallet gets stolen, I keep the 800 numbers for all my cards, including ATM card, in my phone. Would make it easy to call them all if the worst happens.

Last edited by 21; 09/11/14.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm no expert here, but lets give credit where credit is due (see what i did there?)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the card is managed by Visa, not Cabelas. Its Visa's fraud department catching these issues.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its Visa's fraud department catching these issues.

MasterCard caught mine after my trip to Arizona this past spring. Somebody was trying to use my card number close to New Orleans, to buy makeup. They said it did not fit my pattern, so they called me to see. They were quick too, with the catching and sending a replacement card. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas is their own bank....they have their own fraud dept.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.